• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

RANT Why do so many books sound like TMF?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Ashish Kulkarni, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Ashish Kulkarni

Ashish Kulkarni Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $253
    I listened to TMF on Audible. Loved it.

I also listened to Unscripted on Audible. Again, loved it.

After listening to these brilliant books, I have been listening to a few other books.

The one I am currently listening to is "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. So many parts of the book sound very much like TMF.

The question is, is this my imagination? Or are other authors borrowing material out of TMF?

It's really annoying.

2. Richard Espinosa

Richard Espinosa Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,645
    Total Money Makeover is a slowlaner book.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,751
    Admin Post
    How in the hell does a Slowlaner's bible sound anything like TMF? Isn't that what it is?

I haven't read Total Money Makeover, but I hear its decent financial education, but nothing Fastlane.

I'm sure Dave Ramsey has read nothing of mine, and I can say the same.

WHY, nordien1978, SMH and 3 others like this.
  4. Ashish Kulkarni

Ashish Kulkarni Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $253
    The book is being returned as we speak. Thanks to Audible for their returns policy.

5. Ashish Kulkarni

Rep Bank:
    $253
    I haven't listened to the entire book yet. Only the first 2 chapters. I agree with what you are saying @MJ DeMarco. I am returning the book on Audible.

6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,751
    Admin Post
    I didn't say to return it.

I haven't read it.

I've heard from others that it is a good financial education; budgeting, savings, etc -- but general Slowlane stuff, nothing like TMF.

Germanpotato and Ashish Kulkarni like this.
  7. Ashish Kulkarni

Rep Bank:
    $253
    Thanks MJ. That was a personal decision.

8. Limitless4Life

Limitless4Life Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $913
    No idea how you see similarities. They’re night and day.

I could see the unscripted purposed saving section as being similar..but that’s about it imo.

MJ DeMarco and Ashish Kulkarni like this.
  9. Neng Her

Neng Her New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $57

Right when I saw that you were listening to "THAT" book (Total Money Make Over" I knew MJ would say something.

Ashish Kulkarni likes this.
  10. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,560
    Dave Ramsey is better than nothing.

If you are buried in debt, and have no plan for how to improve your financial situation, you could find it helpful. He's done a lot of good for a lot of people.

I wouldn't have found TMF, if Ramsey hadn't gotten me on the right track in the first place.

It's all about cutting expenses, paying down debt, and savings.

Almost nothing about radically improving your income... which is why MJ's books are the next step.

Ramsey is a fastlaner though. 55M net worth and basically lives in a castle. Do as he does, not as he says.

11. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,268
    So write finance books. Do a podcast and sell finance courses to Churches. Got it.

NFT and Ashish Kulkarni like this.
  12. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,751
    Admin Post
    Yup, he's the Joel Osteen of Slowlane personal finance.

13. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,268
    Funny you mentioned Joel Osteen....he's been popping up on my feed more often, and listening a few seconds into his sermons somehow get the alarm bells ringing like hell in my head.

I try not to judge many preachers, but somehow the cringe comes in for Osteen. I have no idea if religious speakers are subject to speech training the same way world leaders are.

14. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,781
    I think I read that book and if I’m not mistaken I remember it being the total opposite of TMF. Like it was all about penny pinching. I remember getting annoyed and putting it down. Maybe I’m thinking of a different book? I’m pretty sure it was that one though.

Ashish Kulkarni and SethLBender like this.
  15. SethLBender

SethLBender New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    I read both books.

Ramsey talks immensely about frugality, mutual funds, and snowballing debt. It did help change my behavior but I became more of a penny pincher and I didn’t agree with all of it.

TMF points out what’s wrong with the mindset of only just striving to retire at 65 with x amount of $. We want wealth at an age we can enjoy it and don’t want to settle or trust Wall Street just because everyone else is doing it.

Read Unscripted!

16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,751
    Admin Post
    Joel found a need and filled it. And then he sold his prosperity gospel to millions, and hence, made millions. And obviously, kept millions.

Yet, I'm sure Joel don't care our opinions as he relaxes in his 15,000 square foot mansion while jet-setting around the globe in his G3, a true reflection of Christ-like values. Kinda reminds me of the POPE lecturing us about poverty as he sits on his gold throne. The SCRIPT is in every thread of society, and it is what makes these glaring hypocrisies possible.

ZF Lee, Kingmaker, lucasb and 2 others like this.
  17. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,268
    Reminds me of this one recent pastor who aksed for money to buy a new private jet so that he could preach the gospel

Ashish Kulkarni and ZF Lee like this.
  18. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,781
    A little off topic for this thread, but on topic for this forum, but there’s actually a bit of controversy surrounding the notion that Jesus was actually poor. A number of biblical scholars argue that he and his family may have actually been pretty wealthy. For example, the robe that he wore was supposedly of the absolute finest quality.

"Mary and Joseph took a Cadillac to get to Bethlehem because the finest transportation of their day was a donkey," says Anderson. "Poor people ate their donkey. Only the wealthy used it as transportation.”
    I’m not a historian so I don’t know the validity of that claim, but I’m just pointing out the controversy.

I mean Jesus was a carpenter, which is hardly the wealth-building profession, but even if he were poor being in his social position, it’s not a far stretch to think that he anything he wanted would have been on the house. “Sir your money is no good here. Please, come sit at our finest table and anything you want is compliments of the chef.”

The New Testament reports that Roman soldiers gambled for Jesus' clothing while he hung on the cross. They wouldn't gamble for Jesus' clothing unless it was expensive, Anderson says.

The 12th chapter of the Gospel of John says that Jesus had a treasurer, or a "keeper of the money bag.”

"The last time I checked, poor people don't have treasurers to take care their money," says Brown, author of "Devil, Demons and Spiritual Warfare.”
    Although many churches have a treasurer to take care of collections.

But anyway, one of the articles:

Passions over 'prosperity gospel': Was Jesus wealthy? - CNN.com

Regardless of how true it is, it’s still inteeresting to think about.

Ashish Kulkarni and ZF Lee like this.
  19. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $2,268
    My favorite part of Indianna Jones and the Last Crusade was when they had to choose the right cup that was the Holy Grail. The Nazi leader chose the most lavish cup and melted. Indy finds the cup made of wood. He drinks from it and is okay. He then gives it to his dad. His dad is now alive.

Ashish Kulkarni and GMSI7D like this.
  20. bilkar1985

bilkar1985 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $160
    "Why so many books sound like TMF?"

if you have read TMF and/or Unscripted, it's in both books well explained:
    A lot of people make money by writing books on self-development and wealth and say they want to help, do it for the others etc. and they "describe" (actually not) the process to make money and get out of the rat race.

The thing is, as MJ describes, that all these people did not build wealth or make money, by following the principles described in their books. They are making money by (well you got it) selling YOU their books, regurgigating (i hope i spell it right) the same things over and over.

In fact they sell you Slowlane (at best) principles, while they are or blink the Fastlane. Most of these people are NOT in the Fastlane and/or the principles they describe do NOT lead to the Fastlane.

3 years ago I broke my ankle, while playing football(soccer for our US friends). Actually it was destroyed. 4 months in bed without moving, I needed help to pee and sh*t. Now I am able to play again, run, kick the ball, play with the daughter etc. You know why? I went to THE BEST doc. in Greece to operate me. Actually I would be operated in another hospital by another doc. When I heard the 1st docs. name I was like: "Hell no! He might be assumed good, but it's ONLY reputation. All PROFESSIONAL players that were operated by him, ended their careers prematurely!" And I arranged hospital transfer IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, in order to live life the way I wanted to.

Would you like to have your life operated by slowlaners? I did (Kiyosaki) and he made money, I made ZERO, NADA, just like everyone else.

I hope all the above answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,609

what's the lesson here ?

people here won't like the lesson

people here want wealth and the lesson of the movie is that wealth won't bring you hapiness

materialist things are not the end. this is why bilionaires are bored

the end is about finding truth in life and it has nothing to do with a mansion and lying on the beach

the holy grail in the movie is occult knowledge, not the cup of gold

same thing in life

bilkar1985 likes this.
  22. bilkar1985

bilkar1985 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $160
    isn't it like that in quite any movie? this is social conditioning (for sure) and getting Scripted IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,232
    I don't mean to be an MJ fanboy but I've never read anything that has come close to or compares with Millionaire Fastlane. For example: I've read HOW TO GET RICH by Felix Dennis and it was just stories about his life with some basic advice along the way - same with Marc Cubans book. I read them and was more confused afterward.

Ever since reading MFL, business is simple to me. The day-to-day and how to get there is where things get complicated - but overall if I can make decisions that move toward satisfying NEEDS, ENTRY, CONTROL, SCALE, and TIME - then we will keep winning.

I have wondered though, as I'm sure authors are influenced by eachother, what types of books MJ read when he was coming up, and if they were similar to MFL.

MJ DeMarco and bilkar1985 like this.
  24. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,751
    Admin Post
    I read a lot of TECH books because those were the problems I was trying to solve at the time.

NOTABLE! - The absolute BEST book you MUST read!

TreyAllDay likes this.
  25. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $159,874
    I'm just curious what parts of the first 2 chapters sounded like TMF?