The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do SO MANY startups fail?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I was curious to just garner some opinions on this topic. I'm a successful 25 year old business person, I've work in sales and marketing and understand hard work and persistence - branding a product properly and hitting the ground to sell the crap out of it, dealing with rejection. I'm leaving my job at the end of the year to sell my software full time, which I have yet to sell however I know I've been honest in honouring the fastlane commandments that it's a product I've directly seen and heard a large need for, the barriers to entry have been difficult, I control it, it's scalable, and it will be independent of my time. I know I will have to adjust along the way, but to be honest - with hard work I don't see building a business to be that difficult if you work hard and honour the fastlane commandments.

So here's my question - you read stats constantly about how 90% of startups fail and it's the most difficult thing you'll have to deal with. Are these people who just disobey the fastlane commandments? People who don't work hard? Open up needless businesses, chase things they love doing, or franchises? How could 90% of startups fail it seems like so many unless these make up a large chunk of "do what you love" people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
entrepreneurial seizure

Had to google that one But interesting read! Thanks. I've seen this happen a lot- our graphic designer left last year to start her own graphic design company and it was just "Kate's design".... Just a technical person trying to make money doing their technical skill and it never lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Because 90% of startups have nothing of substance.
Just because entrepreneurs want money - is not a sufficient reason for people to pay them.
All these startups are just people screaming "I want money" with different words, using different design and marketing.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
I think a lot of people like the idea of owning their own business or being an entrepreneur with zero understanding of the reality that it involves.

I used to work in the hospitality industry and it attracts so many of these types, starting restaurants, hotels, coffee shops etc with absolutely no idea what they're doing. So when you look at the failure rate, you have to figure out that a huge percentage of people never should have started in the first place, then you factor in the people who don't follow cents principles like you say and it accounts for most of the failure rate I'd say.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think a lot of people like the idea of owning their own business or being an entrepreneur with zero understanding of the reality that it involves.

I used to work in the hospitality industry and it attracts so many of these types, starting restaurants, hotels, coffee shops etc with absolutely no idea what they're doing. So when you look at the failure rate, you have to figure out that a huge percentage of people never should have started in the first place, then you factor in the people who don't follow cents principles like you say and it accounts for most of the failure rate I'd say.

Great feedback thank you. Regardless of how confident I want to be, it's daunting to hear figures like this when you put in the prep work about how so many people fail and I figured like you said it's a lot of people with no idea, no plan, etc

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
you say you haven't started selling your software...why not?

In late development stages, have been at it for about 5 months- treated it as a hobby for the first 1 or 2.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Without knowing the story of the anonymous 90% of failing startups you mention we can only speculate. Lack of cash, lack of demand, lack of sales, lack of customers -- whatever.

My suggestion is always the individual.

Our patterns and habits tend to determine success or failure.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I mentioned this in another thread the other day.

[Souce: http://fortune.com/2014/09/25/why-startups-fail-according-to-their-founders/]

The top reason? They make products no one wants.

"When the founder of a startup company shuts down her or his business, it’s customary to pen an essay that tells the rest of the community what went wrong. Call it a failure post-mortem. Nine out of 10 startups fail, which is why the failure post-mortem has become so common that it’s practically a Silicon Valley cliché. Some of these essays are honest, enlightening, and brave. Others point fingers or issue backward non-apologies. Medium, the publishing platform, is the preferred medium.

The proliferation of the failure post-mortem has helped create a bizarre cult of failure that seems wrong-headed. Celebrating failure (“Fail fast” goes the mantra) seems to let people off the hook for bad behavior. Upon closer inspection, it seems less misguided than necessary. Starting a high-growth business is a roller coaster. Founder-CEOs feel pressure to keep up the facade of success, even when things are actually falling apart behind the scenes. Only recently, after the tragic suicide of Jody Sherman, CEO of a startup called Ecomom, did the technology community begin to publicly acknowledge the problems with its “entrepreneur as hero” narrative. Publicly admitting to failure, and examining it, can take guts. It also distills the narrative to a case study from which other entrepreneurs can learn."

unknown2-e1411602328712.png

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I was curious to just garner some opinions on this topic. I'm a successful 25 year old business person, I've work in sales and marketing and understand hard work and persistence - branding a product properly and hitting the ground to sell the crap out of it, dealing with rejection. I'm leaving my job at the end of the year to sell my software full time, which I have yet to sell however I know I've been honest in honouring the fastlane commandments that it's a product I've directly seen and heard a large need for, the barriers to entry have been difficult, I control it, it's scalable, and it will be independent of my time. I know I will have to adjust along the way, but to be honest - with hard work I don't see building a business to be that difficult if you work hard and honour the fastlane commandments.

So here's my question - you read stats constantly about how 90% of startups fail and it's the most difficult thing you'll have to deal with. Are these people who just disobey the fastlane commandments? People who don't work hard? Open up needless businesses, chase things they love doing, or franchises? How could 90% of startups fail it seems like so many unless these make up a large chunk of "do what you love" people.

that's what Michael Gerber's books are all about : the myth of the entrepreneur

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/0887307280/?tag=

people say " i am smart enough, i can do the technical work so i will go into business"

but reality does not work that way

reality says " go read books and watch programs on entrepreneurship and then go into business"

i don't understand why people don't watch free programs offered by marketing geniuses like Jay Abraham

http://www.abraham.com/50shades/

i don"t understand why people waste time on absurdities like television, socializing too much and so on.

i ask these people : " will TV programs make you rich ? " and " will people you talk to at the bar make you rich ?"

the point is 98 % of people dont even know what they want in life. this is not my opinion, this is famous authors like Napoleon Hill opinion.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
that's what Michael Gerber's books are all about : the myth of the entrepreneur

https://www.amazon.fr/Myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses-About/dp/0887307280

people say " i am smart enough, i can do the technical work so i will go into business"

but reality does not work that way

reality says " go read books and watch programs on entrepreneurship and then go into business"

i don't understand why people don't watch free programs offered by marketing geniuses like Jay Abraham

http://www.abraham.com/50shades/

i don"t understand why people waste time on absurdities like television, socializing too much and so on.

i ask these people : " will TV programs make you rich ? " and " will people you talk to at the bar make you rich ?"

the point is 98 % of people dont even know what they want in life. this is not my opinion, this is famous authors like Napoleon Hill opinion.

Great points im excited to check out jay Abraham never heard of it before

G

GuestUser450

It's self importance. And all problems (capital, marketing, sales, customer satisfaction, etc.) lead back to the individual rationalizing bad business decisions based on personal want.

The proliferation of the failure post-mortem has helped create a bizarre cult of failure that seems wrong-headed. Celebrating failure (“Fail fast” goes the mantra) seems to let people off the hook for bad behavior.

And leave them vulnerable to another mistake. The fail parade mints revisionist historians who rewrite their startup obits, without really knowing what killed them. Why isn't "I don't know." ever given as the reason?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's self importance. And all problems (capital, marketing, sales, customer satisfaction, etc.) lead back to the individual rationalizing bad business decisions based on personal want.

And leave them vulnerable to another mistake. The fail parade mints revisionist historians who rewrite their startup obits, without really knowing what killed them. Why isn't "I don't know." ever given as the reason?

Great feedback. I've always pondered this question as well in the startup community - you hear a lot of people say "fail fast" or "you need 1 or 2 big failures" as if failing a business should count. It doesn't, your business fails because it's flawed and based on your desire to make money.

I also like what you said about self importance. I think if you are actually in business to help people and solve a problem and constantly keep that in your mind, you'll always find a way to muscle through problems.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Well. I will tell you from what I have read.

Startups need cash to survive.
The way Gary Vaynerchuk puts it, Startup is like a human being.
  • Humans will live on soda and sugar. And they will live longer with healthy food.
  • But without oxygen humans wont last more than 10 minutes.
For startups messing around with customer support, quality product, giving value .etc are like choosing between soda and healthy food. Its important to survive for a long time.
But for a startup cash is oxygen. Without cash, business will die instantly.

So businesses fail due to lack of cash flow.

How does cash flow stop for a business?

Reason 1: Disruptive Technology. You can refer the book "Innovators Dilemma" to read more. This is one of the core reason for death of many fortune 500 companies. For example replacement of rope shovel by hydraulic shovel in the mining equipment industry lead to death of nearly 32 companies in 20 years. Also it lead to the emergence of new companies like Caterpillar. Another example is the disk drive industry. As technology changed from Mainframe computers to Mini Computers to PCs dozens of million dollar industries perished from 1960s to late 1990s. Disruptive technology is the most unpredictable cause for a business to fail in a very short span of time.

Reason 2: Getting too comfortable. Once a business gets bigger everything will become a process. Process is perfect for a business to remain the same but not to grow. If you stop growing there is a competitor growing faster than you.

Reason 3: Relying too much on investment. This is big, and happens all the time. Investment is great, but you cannot get funding forever. Startups burns cash to acquire customers, grow social media and what not - until all cash is burned. And what happens if there is no cash? Cash is oxygen, so you know what happens.

There are many other reasons as well, but finally all of it boils down to lack of cash. Period.

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.

I agree with many of the above posts, especially @AllenCrawley , and can tell you the common pitfalls I saw as a small business consultant.
  1. Product/service no one wants was among the top. The vast majority of small business owners I met were people who had some skill or even just an idea, and a friend or relative said, you should open a business, or they said to themselves, hey I really like doing this, I should have my own business, and so they did. But they didn’t establish the need first and had not the first clue who might be interested in buying what they sold.
  2. Corollary – lack of competitive research. They had no idea what the competition looked like and no plan for how to establish their business in the context of the market.
  3. Competing on cost. As a general rule, small businesses are unable to compete on cost due to their lack of buying power and must establish added value in other areas. Competing on cost often starts a vicious down growth cycle. But most new business owners thought this was the right way to start – precisely because they hadn’t established the need.
  4. No marketing ability and unwillingness to pay for it or learn it. Many people thought that if they bought an expensive store front (i.e., rented, renovated, furnished, inventory, employees) in a new development that the sales would automatically happen. They never established the need, and they had no clue how to market their business. (It always made me very sad to see this - people often lost their life savings opening store fronts.)
  5. Speaking of buying store fronts, cashflow was another issue. Most small business owners have no clue how to manage this. It kills many B&M and manufacturing businesses, especially.
  6. Belief in the almighty patent. If I patent it, someone will buy it and I’ll make a million. Wrong. You will be the one proving the idea by getting out there and selling it first, to establish need. Another common one – ideas they wanted to patent that offered little value against established goods or were too easy to bypass via alternative designs (i.e., not much substance to the design). (This is more a wannabe failure than an existing business failure.)
  7. Speaking of marketing, stopping marketing. Established business owners, when facing tough seasons, will cut marketing first, which often contributes to the death of their business. Also goes back to cash flow.
  8. Unwillingness to delegate. The small business owners that I met who usually succeeded to some measure were those who were determined and worked long hours. They also tended not to know how or be willing to change their processes in order to delegate. In most businesses, you can’t grow but so far until you’re willing to delegate (and put in the appropriate checks and balances). This also led to the death of their business through sheer exhaustion – after a point, they simply couldn’t keep up with it anymore. They got burned out but wouldn’t delegate and couldn’t or wouldn’t scale back.
  9. Inability to implement systems and processes. This is especially apparent with the people above and goes hand in hand with unwillingness to delegate.
  10. Not paying taxes. Rut-roh. That bill does eventually come due. Goes back to cashflow issues.
  11. Then there are the ones who go into business with their family or their best friend – and it becomes all drama and no business getting done.
There’s probably more, but that’s off the top of my head.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I

Awesome post! Thanks for all the great info. It is starting to sound like it really is a problem of chasing needs, which in then should lead to cash flow, keeping expenses down, etc.

My industry is internet based and minimal expenses- I can't imagine how daunting it is to your clients who take on expensive store fronts and spend life savings.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

Mismanagement.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I've also read that 75% of franchises succeed while 80% of all start-ups fail. not sure if its true or not. (might be a gimmick to sell that crappy cupcake franchise)

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I've also read that 75% of franchises succeed while 80% of all start-ups fail. not sure if its true or not. (might be a gimmick to sell that crappy cupcake franchise)

I could possibly see it - many franchises exist because there is a customer need and the franchise will analyze an area before opening there. I'm in the "affiliated dealer" business currently and we do similar things. Also lots of marketing and operational support. That being said, you may succeed as a franchisee but you've effectively bought yourself a job - no control and no way to separate your time from the business.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
I agree with many of the above posts, especially @AllenCrawley , and can tell you the common pitfalls I saw as a small business consultant.
  1. .....

Cash Flow, Cash Flow, Cash Flow. IF you can get enough accounts (or customers) with a decent profit ratio, you can run a profitable business. The problem is, most businesses don't have enough "Cash Flow"---and that's why they fail.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016

So...why are you leaving your Job?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Maybe the book The E-myth revisited might explain things.

But again they might have violated the Five Commandments, especially Need, Time and Scale.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
Reason 1: Disruptive Technology. You can refer the book "Innovators Dilemma" to read more. This is one of the core reason for death of many fortune 500 companies. For example replacement of rope shovel by hydraulic shovel in the mining equipment industry lead to death of nearly 32 companies in 20 years. Also it lead to the emergence of new companies like Caterpillar. Another example is the disk drive industry. As technology changed from Mainframe computers to Mini Computers to PCs dozens of million dollar industries perished from 1960s to late 1990s. Disruptive technology is the most unpredictable cause for a business to fail in a very short span of time.
Some good points above but I think for established businesses Disruptive Technology is a big one. A lot of companies seems to bury their heads in the sand when the barbarians are at the gate and they end up paying the price for this. The long term, successful companies however, light up the barbecue and feast on their own sacred cows, realising if they don't someone else will and they'll starve to death anyway.

jaypi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 8, 2016
Nj
Definitely bookmark worthy. I've been nervous about taking action because of the high percentage fail rate without any reason behind it. And thanks AllenCrawley for the statistics :notworthy:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Definitely bookmark worthy. I've been nervous about taking action because of the high percentage fail rate without any reason behind it. And thanks AllenCrawley for the statistics :notworthy:

Yep it's a scary idea sometimes but I think if you satisfy the 5 commandments you're ahead of 75% of the people. Have an honest conversation with yourself about whether you know there is a validated need, barriers to entry, control, scalability, and time separation. Most people don't have honest reflections on this.

Touseyd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 29, 2016
  1. Product/service no one wants was among the top. The vast majority of small business owners I met were people who had some skill or even just an idea, and a friend or relative said, you should open a business, or they said to themselves, hey I really like doing this, I should have my own business, and so they did. But they didn’t establish the need first and had not the first clue who might be interested in buying what they sold.
  2. Corollary – lack of competitive research. They had no idea what the competition looked like and no plan for how to establish their business in the context of the market.
  3. Competing on cost. As a general rule, small businesses are unable to compete on cost due to their lack of buying power and must establish added value in other areas. Competing on cost often starts a vicious down growth cycle. But most new business owners thought this was the right way to start – precisely because they hadn’t established the need.
  4. No marketing ability and unwillingness to pay for it or learn it. Many people thought that if they bought an expensive store front (i.e., rented, renovated, furnished, inventory, employees) in a new development that the sales would automatically happen. They never established the need, and they had no clue how to market their business. (It always made me very sad to see this - people often lost their life savings opening store fronts.)
  5. Speaking of buying store fronts, cashflow was another issue. Most small business owners have no clue how to manage this. It kills many B&M and manufacturing businesses, especially.
  6. Belief in the almighty patent. If I patent it, someone will buy it and I’ll make a million. Wrong. You will be the one proving the idea by getting out there and selling it first, to establish need. Another common one – ideas they wanted to patent that offered little value against established goods or were too easy to bypass via alternative designs (i.e., not much substance to the design). (This is more a wannabe failure than an existing business failure.)
  7. Speaking of marketing, stopping marketing. Established business owners, when facing tough seasons, will cut marketing first, which often contributes to the death of their business. Also goes back to cash flow.
  8. Unwillingness to delegate. The small business owners that I met who usually succeeded to some measure were those who were determined and worked long hours. They also tended not to know how or be willing to change their processes in order to delegate. In most businesses, you can’t grow but so far until you’re willing to delegate (and put in the appropriate checks and balances). This also led to the death of their business through sheer exhaustion – after a point, they simply couldn’t keep up with it anymore. They got burned out but wouldn’t delegate and couldn’t or wouldn’t scale back.
  9. Inability to implement systems and processes. This is especially apparent with the people above and goes hand in hand with unwillingness to delegate.
  10. Not paying taxes. Rut-roh. That bill does eventually come due. Goes back to cashflow issues.
  11. Then there are the ones who go into business with their family or their best friend – and it becomes all drama and no business getting done.

hi. what did you mean by #4, expensive store front?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.