The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who owns rights to the app?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Well I think I f*cked up, so I am paying for an app developer to help me with my app. And it came to my mind the other day, if I want to sell it who owns it? I see this purchase like any other, if I paid for it then its mine. But at the same time I do see this purchase as a bit different. I saw in the code that under the copyright section it has his details.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Well I think I f*cked up, so I am paying for an app developer to help me with my app. And it came to my mind the other day, if I want to sell it who owns it? I see this purchase like any other, if I paid for it then its mine. But at the same time I do see this purchase as a bit different. I saw in the code that under the copyright section it has his details.

Unless you have a written agreement in place, then it's up in the air. Google a bit on 'work for hire', ip assignment, and developer contracts, and you'll get a good idea of how to protect yourself. It's pretty standard to require the assignment of ownership of a work to whoever's paying for that work, but if it isn't spelled out specifically, it can cause trouble. Here's an exmaple: Work for Hire Agreements, Work-for-Hire Agreements; Freelance Agreements; Copyright Assignment

Depending on how much you think it matters, you may want to halt the project until your developer agrees to sign a doc that gives you the rights you need. The longer you wait, the harder it will get.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
If you don't say for sure, it's up to local law. Your law, or the law where the contractor is if he or she is someplace else? That's also unclear, so your contract needs a venue term: "Venue: The parties agree that this contract will be interpreted according the laws of New South Wales, and any legal action regarding this contract will be filed in the Sydney District Civil Court."

Your contract needs to have something like this in it: "Work for Hire: Contractor agrees that this project is a Work For Hire project. Contractor releases all copyright and intellectual property rights for all code and other work products generated by Contractor to the Client. Client's payment as specified in this Contract as accepted by Contractor for Contractor providing a complete, permanent, irrevocable, worldwide release to Client of all control and usage of code and other work products. Upon Client's payment in full, Contractor releases to Client all moral rights and all claims to be recognized as the author of the work for copyright purposes."

Check with a local legal expert to be sure. There might be a government agency that can give free advice to businesses. The local public library's reference librarian should be able to help you find who that would be. Otherwise, check with law firms to find a free 10 minute consultation, which is really all you should need for a standard contract like this.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Unless you have a written agreement in place, then it's up in the air. Google a bit on 'work for hire', ip assignment, and developer contracts, and you'll get a good idea of how to protect yourself. It's pretty standard to require the assignment of ownership of a work to whoever's paying for that work, but if it isn't spelled out specifically, it can cause trouble. Here's an exmaple: Work for Hire Agreements, Work-for-Hire Agreements; Freelance Agreements; Copyright Assignment

Depending on how much you think it matters, you may want to halt the project until your developer agrees to sign a doc that gives you the rights you need. The longer you wait, the harder it will get.
Ok thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
If you don't say for sure, it's up to local law. Your law, or the law where the contractor is if he or she is someplace else? That's also unclear, so your contract needs a venue term: "Venue: The parties agree that this contract will be interpreted according the laws of New South Wales, and any legal action regarding this contract will be filed in the Sydney District Civil Court."

Your contract needs to have something like this in it: "Work for Hire: Contractor agrees that this project is a Work For Hire project. Contractor releases all copyright and intellectual property rights for all code and other work products generated by Contractor to the Client. Client's payment as specified in this Contract as accepted by Contractor for Contractor providing a complete, permanent, irrevocable, worldwide release to Client of all control and usage of code and other work products. Upon Client's payment in full, Contractor releases to Client all moral rights and all claims to be recognized as the author of the work for copyright purposes."

Check with a local legal expert to be sure. There might be a government agency that can give free advice to businesses. The local public library's reference librarian should be able to help you find who that would be. Otherwise, check with law firms to find a free 10 minute consultation, which is really all you should need for a standard contract like this.
Thanks.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Do you need to include this in your contracts for next time?
Yes, I would assume so. I mean I guess a contract is just extra security I could always just simply ask the dev, but they could change their minds or something like that so its always good to have a contract.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.