The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who Here Used To Or Currently Files Their Own Tax Returns And Is It Difficult?

Taxes and regulation

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Hi,

So I'm about to launch an expensive product brand in the next few months that I'll only be making maybe 1 sale a day for at best in if it goes well and I'm thinking whether it's worth just filing my own tax returns to save money?

My previous business was a high volume low profit per item model that would have been very complicated to do, but this one is pretty straight forward.

I was spending £100 a month on an accountant to do what was a 2 hour job, so I feel it may be worth me just doing this at the start to save costs if it's easy.

Who here files their own Tax/VAT returns (if in the UK) and is it difficult to learn?

Thanks,
Pete

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Handing my accountant a pile of papers 6 inches thick is the best money I've ever spent. Find yourself a good accountant!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I could be different, but I view this as 2 jobs.

1. bookkeeper
2. CPA

Reason I break it out is I see you mentioned you were paying them for a 2 hour job every month. That sounds like bookkeeping.

Filing taxes though ( the thread title ), I leave to my CPA. Sure a bookkeeper can do it, but I feel better having a CPA do it.

My business is pretty simple. Few deductions and the income streams are consolidated. I can do the numbers monthly myself relatively easy. Other business I would probably hire a bookkeeper to do if my setup wasn't so simple.

But for filing taxes and catching any errors or changes in the law, I leave that to a CPA. I get to ask them a bunch of questions and I also get their help if I get audited later. I look at it like a second pair of eyes when I file.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I file my own. It seems like the smart thing to do for me.

Do you have time to keep up with all the rules and changes? If not, I'd suggest paying someone. Not me though, I don't do VAT.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.