The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which syntaxical version is it?

Taxes and regulation

Which phrase is more suitable to someone stuck in the rat-race?

• They were living, but they weren’t alive.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • They were alive, but they weren't living

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • They pretty much both say the same thing. Either one.

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my new book (which has entered the production phase!) I have a statement that I can't quite determine the correct format.

Please vote for what you think it should be.

Here the phrase is in context:

With a crumbling marriage and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotman’s plot a rat-race escape—but only find themselves more thickly in it.

With a crumbling marriage and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were alive, but they weren't living. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotman’s plot a rat-race escape—but only find themselves more thickly in it.

For advance updates on the project, please feel free to register.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just off the top of my head. Knowing language has a mathematical syntax. Like logic. I think the second choice is more consistent with the actual definitions of the words. And the corollaries and propositions you can derive from these sentences makes more sense. Just my opinion.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Strong plug for #2 from someone who is very sensitive to the meaning and connotations of words.

The picture in my head for #1:
They are zombies. Or fully clothed skeletons walking around "doing life." There is no detectable biological life.

The picture in my head for #2:
They are breathing and functioning, but they are just existing, just surviving, not really "LIVING," and certainly not thriving.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Based on the results of the vote, I see I wasn't going crazy in trying to figure out what was correct. More and more, looks like a "which came first" thing, a chicken or the egg.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
In my new book (which has entered the production phase!) I have a statement that I can't quite determine the correct format.

With a crumbling marriage and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotman’s plot a rat-race escape—but only find themselves more thickly in it.

With a crumbling marriage and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were alive, but they weren't living. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotman’s plot a rat-race escape—but only find themselves more thickly in it.

Hey mj,

Can you reduce matrix reference a bit. Frankly its too self helpy. I don't have any problem but an international bestseller might face this issue where meaning is lost in the translation.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey mj,

Can you reduce matrix reference a bit. Frankly its too self helpy. I don't have any problem but an international bestseller might face this issue where meaning is lost in the translation.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't be changing it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The picture in my head for #2:
They are breathing and functioning, but they are just existing, just surviving, not really "LIVING," and certainly not thriving.

Definitely this. Also "alive" sounds like a passive description of something existing (we found them alive) while "living" sounds like taking action, being active (they were living large). So you can be alive and not living but it's weird to say you're living but you're not alive.

Alxf

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 28, 2021
Japan

#2 for sure. It echoes "Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75."

What I think you intend in #1 is "They were living, but they didn't feel alive". It may work in spoken language where you can use tone and cadence to make it clear that you are talking about their emotional state, not their physical state (i.e. they weren't undead), but it's ambiguous in text.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.