The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which operating system do you and other entrepreneurs use? (computer and mobile)

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
It depends on the entrepreneur. If people are not technically savvy, they will tend to stick with whatever happens to be comfortable and familiar because it's what they happened to learn on first. Occasionally you find a non-technical person who tried out different systems so they could make an informed decision, but that's about as rare as someone who switches religions as an adult.

If someone is technically savvy, then they will often stick with what they studied the most in school or had the most work experience using.

In general the more experience someone has with technology, they less married they are to any particular type of technology... the more ecumenical and open minded they are about pragmatically matching the tech to the job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Dual boot Ubuntu and Win 7.

Linux for developing and server admin stuff via the terminal.

Windows I find better for writing since it has native support for Scrivener and Evernote.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7.

I only ever use Windows when something requires me to do so. Basically to backup photos off of the Mrs’ iPhone. There’s not much you can’t do in Linux nowadays if you’re willing to be a little hands-on.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Dual boot Ubuntu and Win 7

I use Ubuntu full time and the only reason I keep the Win 7 is for the couple of programs that only run on windows.
A few years back using only Ubuntu was damn near impossible, but now with all the cloud-based apps it's a breeze. Fully in love with Ubuntu.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I was just wondering, which operating system you and entrepreneurs generally make use of, and why.
I use Windows because it's the one I learned on. Also because it's the most popular system in the world. That alone gives it a lot of support and many programs to choose from.

People that know about computers more than I do claim that Linux is better because you can customize it however you like. But unless you're a developer I think you should not waste your time with it. There's a learning curve to it.

I've never used an Apple and most likely never will. I just don't like the fact that they are in an enclose system. So the software and the hardware is "you get what you get."

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
I currently use Arch Linux. You can automate nearly everything on linux and I have mine running a tiled based window manager called bspwm, you can look it up. It enhances productivity a bit once you get the hang of it. Also my whole computer can be operated entirely from the keyboard. This drastically speeds up everything from writing to web browsing. Cheers!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I currently use Arch Linux. You can automate nearly everything on linux and I have mine running a tiled based window manager called bspwm, you can look it up. It enhances productivity a bit once you get the hang of it. Also my whole computer can be operated entirely from the keyboard. This drastically speeds up everything from writing to web browsing. Cheers!
That sounds really cool!

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
That sounds really cool!
Haha yeah! It's pretty neat, I've also got it set up to where there's a pomodoro timer running at all times in the top left corner that will bug me to get back to work, it syncs up with my trello board. Overall, a really productive working environment!

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
I use Windows 10, OSX and iOS.

Windows 10 heavy and hot HP workstation laptop with 16GB of ram and an 8 core CPU. It’s the work laptop connected to a docking station connected to dual monitors and other stuff. It gets as hot as the surface of the sun so I tend to use it only in the office or when the wifey is not using her MacBook which....

OSX on a MacBook. It’s thin and only spits out about half the heat of the HP but also has half the ram and processing power. I do my own flyers and ads using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. So it can get bogged down with too many Adobe stuff, but it’s great for cuddling up at night to read and reply on the forums.

iOS on my iPhone and cellular iPad. Both these tools make putting items for sale online very easy. Mobile websites can be rather annoying to use. So using the iPad to get the full site is very comforting.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Ubuntu for anything productivity related.

Win10 for occasional gaming, or on my Surface book when I'm working out of the library. I truly detest win10. Win 7 was their greatest OS and it's unfortunate they had to go down such a dark road with win10.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)

Win10 for occasional gaming, or on my Surface book when I'm working out of the library. I truly detest win10. Win 7 was their greatest OS and it's unfortunate they had to go down such a dark road with win10.
I didn’t mention my gaming machine still using Windows 7 since I figured the gaming machine was irrelevant here, but man I still love Windows 7. It just works with unneeded fluff on it. Plus, I DONT have to upgrade it. I only use it for gaming, and the games work fine on it.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

I think I'll want to get a Surface Book later this year. Every now and then I look up whether it fully works under Linux. It seems they're getting really close to having a completely usable option to dual boot to Linux, but still some gotchas.

I'm running both Win7 and Linux in virtual machines on a Macbook, which I suppose is some kind of weird heresy.

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
Linux (many different ones) for PC/server, and iOS for mobile (iphone). I have windows 10 on a laptop but only use it when absolutely necessary.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.