The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which of these ideas is better?

Idea threads

Tronik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington,D.C
So i'm planning on launching an internet business this summer, and I recently bought the domain. I'm planning on setting everything up then launching this summer. I know the best time to launch is usually in January, but I think launching in summer won't do too much harm. I have two ideas for the site, and I'm not sure which one to implement

Idea 1: The site would be a blog on music/fashion for 15-19 year olds, similar to hypebeast.com except focusing more on fashion that is affordable to this age group, as Hypebeast blogs on limited/exclusive products that are pretty expensive. I'll be blogging on the same type of products (Clothes,hats,shoes) but more affordable as I said before. And the music side of things will be blogging on the newest music in the rap genre, focusing on new school rap such as Wiz Khalifa, A$AP Rocky etc. This blog will be useful in building up viewers and content for the main revenue source of the site ; selling the clothes that I blog on, either through drop shipping or affiliate marketing. Most of the clothing manufactures are small 1-10 man businesses and are easily contactable. I'm sure I can work something out with designers to sell their products on my site. The clothes will also be focused on the 15-19 age group and will include crewnecks, snapbacks, and some skate clothing.

Pros:
I'm knowledgeable in the fields Ill be blogging on and the site will be pretty easy to start

Cons:
I have to convince producers of the clothing to affiliate/dropship since most of them don't, because they probably don't know what dropshipping or affiliate marketing is.

Scale:
Little to none

Idea 2: The site would also have a blog that would be dedicated to college music, along with the same type of clothing and music as idea 1, except the whole site would be more college oriented. I would also dropship items necessary for dorms/college in general. Dropshipping/ affiliate marketing processes are already in place for the college and dorm items I want to sell.

Pros:
Easier to affiliate market or drop ship
Larger market

Cons:
More start up costs
More SEO/Advertising required
Niche is a bit crowded, only major competition is DormCo, which already grosses 1-2 million a year. however, I think my site would not have to compete with DormCo because it is more lifestyle oriented then DormCo, which focuses on bedding, furniture etc.

Scale:
Good amount of scale for this idea, I could gradually increase the number/category of items we carry

Idea 3 (Combination): Idea 3 would be a combination of both. I would start off as idea 1, and slowly transition to idea 2, which already has some aspects of idea 1, as I gain more visitors.

My expenses would be under 500 for both, including domain, hosting, SEO (Which I'll learn myself but may outsource some) and advertising.

Also, the domain name I got is very brandable and the name just rolls off the tounge lol, Ill be revealing what it is after I get everything set up
Please comment on your opinion as to which idea is best. Thanks a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tronik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington,D.C
For expenses, I'm also adding up to 200 on educational products such as books, online videos, courses etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.