The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which mindset is better? Machiavellian vs altruistic?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Which mindset is better, #1 or #2?

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

MidoMah

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2017
Qatar
Which mindset will make you more successful?

1. Following the money, power and influence to secure your interests. While doing that, working on happiness health and self development. Doing what works for your benefit. Doing what makes you wealthier, more powerful, and more influential.

2. Following how and where you can add most value. While doing that, securing yourself and your interests. Also working on self development. Doing what adds value. Being too valuable they can't ignore you.

When I try the 2nd mindset, I sometimes find people who attack or bring me down for reasons I do not get, probably because they can.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
With mindset number 2 you can have a simple rule: whoever messes up with you, end of generosity. I personally believe number 2 is a better way, however that depends on your set of values environments and ambitions.

TheKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
563%
Feb 9, 2016
How about none of them, or both?

Living your life based on a templated mindset won't make you, or anyone else happy. And its pretty stupid.

You don't have to choose no. 1, being a ruthless dickhead only caring about what benefits you.
And you don't have to choose no. 2, living as a spineless pussy only pleasing other people.

I personally think that being generous with others, while caring for myself first is the way to go.
I genuinely try to help people around me, but I don't let people take advantage of me.

You don't have to choose one or the other.

As for what makes you money, value.
Provide more value than what your asking for in monetary compensation and people will give you their money.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about mindset. Instead focus on how you can provide value and get customers.
What works will eventually become your mindset.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Machiavellian
1. Following the money, power and influence to secure your interests. While doing that, working on happiness health and self development. Doing what works for your benefit. Doing what makes you wealthier, more powerful, and more influential.
9e1ad677900a1339acb9529e1177f687d14303085caf2e3b67eba9464d301195.jpg

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
It may be good to know how #1 works by reading The 48 Laws of Power and/or The Prince(?). And then for #2 Adam Grants Give & Take on how to being nice usually pays off unless you become a door mat and how to avoid that.

I tend to think in terms of book recommendations but real life is not this simple as your two choices I think?
@TheKing makes valid points.. :thumbsup:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
It may be good to know how #1 works by reading The 48 Laws of Power and/or The Prince(?). And then for #2 Adam Grants Give & Take on how to being nice usually pays off unless you become a door mat and how to avoid that.

I tend to think in terms of book recommendations but real life is not this simple as your two choices I think?
@TheKing makes valid points.. :thumbsup:
Give and Take is a great book, I read it just in a time where my generosity was in doubt :D , I like a concept there called otherless where you focus on providing value to others WITHOUT forgetting about yourself instead of selfless where you give value and forget yourself at the same time.

Also highlights the importance of giving as long as you can see how you impact on others, not just for the sake of giving.

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
The Evolution of Trust

You really need to visit that link. It perfectly answers your question.

It's one of the most amazing thing I have ever seen on the web and gave me clarity relating to your enquiry.

2. Following how and where you can add most value. While doing that, securing yourself and your interests. Also working on self development. Doing what adds value. Being too valuable they can't ignore you.

When I try the 2nd mindset, I sometimes find people who attack or bring me down for reasons I do not get, probably because they can.

What do you think?

MidoMah

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2017
Qatar
With mindset number 2 you can have a simple rule: whoever messes up with you, end of generosity. I personally believe number 2 is a better way, however that depends on your set of values environments and ambitions.
The Evolution of Trust

You really need to visit that link. It perfectly answers your question.

It's one of the most amazing thing I have ever seen on the web and gave me clarity relating to your enquiry.
Nice game theory explanation!

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
Taking action and building a business will make you successful.

Stop this pointless bullshit.

Let's not call the OP pointless bullshit.

That's what I think this forum is all about. No question on here should ever be bullshit or pointless.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I think the fastlane mindset is good.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

What do you think?

LOL

you can't fudge that kind of behaviour

true machiavellian behaviours are genetic : superior intelligence, goals and so on above the masses

Owls and eagles don't belong to turkey's society. they are the Masters above them.

you can't say " well, maybe i should act this way " because it doesn't work like this.

we can only act according to our intelligence and understanding in life

that's why arguing with the masses never goes anywhere and social engineers never try such a thing

they just manipulate society's hot buttons and structures to shape minds

maybe you should look at this

The-Wisdom-of-Psychopaths.jpg

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
LOL

you can't fudge that kind of behaviour

true machiavellian behaviours are genetic : superior intelligence, goals and so on above the masses

Owls and eagles don't belong to turkey's society. they are the Masters above them.

you can't say " well, maybe i should act this way " because it doesn't work like this.

we can only act according to our intelligence and understanding in life

Only around 4% of the population are sociopaths, and they're all across the IQ range.

100% of people that constantly ramble about their superiority are douchebags, though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.