The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When Your Friends/Family Say "That'll Never Work"

Jul 6, 2009
I just feel like some people are plain ignorant pessimists.

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend (of two years), and she wants to go 40 minutes south to her friends house to party tonight. This means I have to drive for 1 hour 20 minutes (40 there, 40 back) just to go hangout with a bunch of people.

With gas prices the way they are right now ($4.30 for regular here in the Chicago suburbs), you would think she would be smarter than to waste it to do an activity you can do right around here in Chicago.

I said that she isn't being finacially conscious and we should be smarter. Her response was, "It's summer, we're young, we should be having fun." (Definitely not a fastlane response.)

I'm working 50 hours a week at a Law Firm at an hourly rate (because I'm 18) just so I can save to start my next big investments (real estate).

Way too many young kids weren't taught the importance of being financially independent.

-Alex
Alex, you are very conscious of way to spend your money,and how you
set your priorities. How did you attain such discipline?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I never try to help anyone who doesn't ask for it. I have noticed that too often people take your offer for help the wrong way as if you are indirectly insulting them. The only time I will help someone is when they are doing something that directly affects me, and I clearly see that my helping will improve the outcome. If they don't want my help, I will stop them and do it my damn self. I understand the importance of family, friends and such, but I have also learned to keep them at distance so I can focus on doing what I wish to do.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 26, 2010
Residence is in Hawaii
It's frustrating, especially when it's family and friends. What's more frustrating is when the person or people you're trying to help aren't doing anything in the first place. I hear so much about why continuing to do nothing, or to continue doing little, offers so much more potential than getting out and trying something new.

None of my family or friends has heeded my solutions. None have followed me doing what I do; even after exceeding their stated expectations for success.

The bottom line as I've come to learn is that it is your family and friends who are the hardest to help. Perfect strangers seem to take you at your word and accept you solutions more readily than do family and friends.

Perhaps it's because that stranger only knows you now, as a successful person, whereas your family and friends knew you before you were successful and can't get over that?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.