The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When a CEO is asked to step down

911WhoDis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Feb 14, 2015
Ok so I want to know, when VC's ask a CEO to step down, are they essentially kicking that person out of the company? Does the former CEO keep his/her shares in the company and still make money from the company? Or is it basically like getting fired?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Ok so I want to know, when VC's ask a CEO to step down, are they essentially kicking that person out of the company?
Okay, try this: tell me to step down as CEO of my company. No really, try it.

Tell me if it works.

A VC can't make a CEO step down from his company any more than a homeless man can.

A board of directors on the other hand, can ask a CEO to step down.

If the VC owns a significant amount of shares in the company and is dissatisfied, this can entice the board of directors to appoint a new CEO.

Does the former CEO keep his/her shares in the company and still make money from the company?

If you own a car, would you have to give it to your boss if you got fired? No. You own the shares whether you're still the CEO, a janitor, or you decide to live on the moon.

Or is it basically like getting fired?
Owning shares and being employed is not even close to being the same thing.

Yes, when CEO has to step down, it's a lot like getting fired.

When you own the majority of stakes in a company, you can basically do whatever you want. However, in a public company because there are many shareholders, and one person doesn't own the majority of shares, the power is in the hands of the largest shareholders. The shareholders appoint members to form a board of directors. The board has the highest authority in the company. The board appoints a CEO to run the company, and the CEO and board members make their terms. Oftentimes, the original founder of the company is the CEO because that person brought the company to where they are now. However, it's possible that the board could ask the founder to step down as CEO. That person still owns their stakes in the company, assuming they don't sell. But the founder may decide to sell their shares because they don't like the direction that the board is taking their company. This is kinda what happened to Elon Musk, and he ended up selling his stake in Zip2 for like $22M.

Hope this helped.

911WhoDis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Feb 14, 2015
Helped a lot thank you very much, cleared things up for me.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
From a fastlane point of view, you would want to fire yourself and have better people running the company anyway.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Helped a lot thank you very much, cleared things up for me.
Glad I could help, man
From a fastlane point of view, you would want to fire yourself and have better people running the company anyway.
I don't see how that qualifies as fastlane, but I do agree that a person should know their strengths and weaknesses, and be able to decide whether or not the're suited to manage a company.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.