The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction and my story (...MJ asked for it...)

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Hello All,

I've known about the Fastlane Forum since 2019 when I read TMF as I was starting my first business and trying to wrap my head around moving beyond a secure job and into a life of freedom and abundance. I will be honest and say that the stories about the forum and the brutal honesty of the Fastlane mindset, especially in Unscripted , made me a bit reluctant to come here at first. Not because I question the truth, validity, or wisdom of any of the tenants but because I knew I needed to take my own journey in my own time.

In the "Getting The MOST Out Of Fastlane (Required Read)" post MJ asked for new people to tell you our stories, so here it goes. I apologize for the length - this will probably be part info for you forum veterans and part catharsis for me. I won't be offended if you don't read it.

I'm currently 43.5 years old and until 2018 was a card carrying member of the slowlane. I was the typical straight A student growing up and in high school and was readily/eagerly programmed with the "get good grades and work hard to succeed" mantra. By early in high school I knew I wanted a certain amount of income and financial security, being from an average middle class family with a government worker as the bread winner. This attitude and my academic abilities led me to decide at the age of 15, as a junior in high school, that I was going to become a chemistry professor.

What the mind decided on at age 15 was achieved in part at age 30 and ultimately at age 40. After HS came the Ivy League undergrad degree (yes I was that brainwashed), PhD (5 years), and two post-doctoral training positions (3 years). At age 30 I started as an assistant professor - opportunity and income yes, but no security until I got tenure. At age 40, I was tenured and promoted to associate professor, seemingly set now with a job I can't be easily fired from (unless I do something REALLY wrong) and a pretty much guaranteed income to go with it, not to mention a sweet a$$ benefits and retirement package (to cushion the chains of bondage).

What happened next should have been predictable, but I didn't really see it coming. The short way to say it is that getting tenure broke something in me. Finally achieving the security of lifetime employment and wage all the sudden opened a door to want more. I spent a few months a bit adrift trying to figure out what the "more" I wanted was. The search led me to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", which did a lot of further mental damage and broke me even more (arguably in a good way, since it was starting to break the mental hold of the slowlane). By the time I was done reading it was clear to me that while I had been successful in my life (as I defined it up to that point), no matter what I was an employee. I knew that even now as a tenured professor, there's an upper limit to my income. And what I really desired was to break the link trading my time for money and to generate more income than my guaranteed position would afford. Instinctively, I wanted the "3F wealth" that MJ describes in TMF - fitness, family, and freedom - before I ever read TMF.

Based on multiple factors (my interest in Rich Dad, Poor Dad, interest of both by wife and I in real estate, some mentoring from my successful small business owner father-in-law), I decided to attend a local "free" seminar from the Rich Dad, Poor Dad education company/Elite Legacy (yes, I know I can hear the groans). While I did not buy the program then, they did a good job of follow-up marketing and I did end up buying their program as an online offering at a steep, steep discount that was a considerably more reasonable.

So I was off and running in 2018 setting up and starting my own business. On the positive side, I can say that I learned a lot, I did a few deals, made some money (but am still net negative), met a lot of great people, and met a business partner that I'm still working with. Part of that journey was my business partner suggesting that I read TMF and my journey to better understand myself, my life up to that point, the business that I was building, and its pluses and minuses. For these reasons alone, I do not view the money and time I spent on that training and trying to build an active real estate investment business as a waste or with any regret. The only non-academic job I'd ever has was two summers in college working in a bank. I needed the crash course in business concepts and real life, in particular in marketing and other areas that I foolishly looked down on as an academic.

Now at the beginning of 2021, the real estate business is still going. I have one active property I'm renting and getting a small cash flow on. But I've also come to conclude that for me, in my situation (a full time job and two kids under 5yo), and with my available time, resources, and natural strengths/weaknesses, active real estate investing is not going to be a Fastlane business for me. I don't have the time to BE the Human Resources system needed for lead generation nor do I have the funds right now to pay for a Human Resources system (a VA). I am still collaborating some with my business partner, mainly on acquisition marketing, so I do hope to still bring in some income along with the rental property. But in terms of my main endeavor to conceive of and build a Fastlane business, I've decided to turn the steering wheel and change course.

The conclusion that real estate investing is not going to be my Fastlane led me to listen to TMF again this month (Jan 2021), which in turn finally motivated me to come join the forum here. Right now I'm kicking around ideas (digital books? affiliate marketing? eComm?) for the next endeavor. I've written a digital book and will have it up on Amazon by the end of Feb 2021; but I know that's not going to be a Fastlane business and could easily turn into a second job, just as real estate investing did. I'm doing it mainly to do SOMETHING to take action, to learn something new, and learn about that aspect of digital marketing and commerce. I know affiliate marketing is not truly Fastlane and is at best a passenger activity. If I chose to start it, it would be with an eye towards learning that business, making some cash along the way, and figuring out where I'm going to try to create something new that does not violate any of the Fastlane commandments. Part of my issue with this is that the academic side of me gets in the way, wanting to create something "totally new" instead of simply putting a new twist on something that already exists.

I'm committed to leaving the slowlane and moving to a Fastlane business and life. I'm hoping being a part of this forum will help my mindset and conceive of something of value to offer the world built on/in an automated, mostly passive Fastlane Business Process

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Tell your business partner "thank you" for recommending my book.

Quite possibly one of the best, well-written intro ever on this forum. A bit unnerving that you conquered the Slowlane and are now like, "Well, that's it? There's gotta be more!"

Thank you for sharing my friend, and welcome.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
phd050619s.gif

No? Not an option?! :happy:

Here's another suggestion - connecting academic research papers with the businesses that could use their findings to make money. Sure, universities often have licensing departments now, but you can't tell me that's a completely efficient market. Besides, looking at it from the other angle, are all businesses that are out there that could benefit from this stuff aware they should even be looking for it? It lends not just practical ip, but means they can borrow the reputation of the college too. All sorts of business models are available to you here from a fee-based "I scout papers/ideas for you" (not everyone can read that stuff!) to taking a commission or even royalty for helping set up licensing deals or joint ventures. Just knowing who to connect can be profitable. This does not have to be a full time endeavour.

Whatever you do, don't just assume that what you were doing was slowlane, & therefore whatever you do next must be completely different to be fastlane. Your training & experience means you can see & understand opportunities that others can't. Don't dismiss it. Entry is one of the CENTS commandments after all.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Thank you for sharing your story! What was your specialization within chemistry (your PhD work?)
Trail_&_Error,

My PhD is was in the total synthesis of natural products, specifically large ones with lots of chiral centers (basically organic chemistry). For my Post-doc I decided go into medicinal chemistry, which is the academic discipline that discovers and develops new drugs. My research in my independent career has been mainly in what I think of as "Early Lead Discovery" in the Oncology area. Kind of an amalgamation of organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry, and pharmacology.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Tell your business partner "thank you" for recommending my book.

Quite possibly one of the best, well-written intro ever on this forum. A bit unnerving that you conquered the Slowlane and are now like, "Well, that's it? There's gotta be more!"

Thank you for sharing my friend, and welcome.

MJ,

Thanks, man. You have no idea how much that means to me coming from you.

I know my story is kind of unnerving, but the Slowlane is and always will be slow, even for high earners and those with security. I noticed immediately when reading TMF that doctors and lawyers can just as easily start in and never get out of the Slowlane, just like a median-income hourly wage earner. The salaries are higher, but the rules governing that lane don't change. And professors are no different.

My challenge now is to strategically utilize the income and security I have, along with a Fastlane mindset and the Fastlane commandments, to change lanes and level-up my life.

I really appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to listening, learning, and contributing.

Keith

P.S. - I bought Wealth Exposed last night and started listening to it. Looking forward to everything I can learn from that too.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
phd050619s.gif

Here's another suggestion - connecting academic research papers with the businesses that could use their findings to make money. Sure, universities often have licensing departments now, but you can't tell me that's a completely efficient market. Besides, looking at it from the other angle, are all businesses that are out there that could benefit from this stuff aware they should even be looking for it? It lends not just practical ip, but means they can borrow the reputation of the college too. All sorts of business models are available to you here from a fee-based "I scout papers/ideas for you" (not everyone can read that stuff!) to taking a commission or even royalty for helping set up licensing deals or joint ventures. Just knowing who to connect can be profitable. This does not have to be a full time endeavour.

Whatever you do, don't just assume that what you were doing was slowlane, & therefore whatever you do next must be completely different to be fastlane. Your training & experience means you can see & understand opportunities that others can't. Don't dismiss it. Entry is one of the CENTS commandments after all.

Mutant,

Thank for the comments and the cartoon. Tenure does offer a lot of protection and freedom, but sadly not the absolute kind that I think it used to. Fortunately I've managed to move my physical office and half my lab space outside the control of my chair, so that does give me a lot of freedom with my time daily.

I'm going to mull over your comments and really try to sink my head into them. What you say has a ton of merit. And there are several different facets of it that I need to think through to logical conclusions. Here's the thoughts I have had so far:

I have thought about the "scouting papers/idea for you" model, mainly because I seem to be really good at helping others shape their research and grants. What I haven't figured out is how to monetize it, based on the budget/cost/spending structures that universities tend to use. But I need to spend some time on that and really make sure I'm not missing an opportunity there.

I also take to heart your comment not assuming what I'm doing is Slowlane and I have to change to something Fastlane. One of my issues is always undervaluing how I see things differently and how that might be of valuable. I often fall victim to the "oh, someone's already done/doing that" mentality, both in my scientific/academic endeavors and in my business ones so far.

One of the things that's leading me to move way from my scientific expertise is the fact that it's hard to monetize and scale without a huge investment. While TMF teaches us that to make millions we must touch millions, sadly in the pharmaceutical industry it takes $Billions to affect millions. The value proposition is there, but the cost to deliver a product of value is gigantic.

My overall strategy as I have started my journey into business has been to take my technical and learning skill, high level planning and communication skills, my extreme determination, and my ability to be hyper focused and disciplined and use those to accelerate my ability to overcome an entry barrier in a given area. Having some disposable income and a safe job/paycheck also helps. Have I succeeded yet? - No. Is this approach going to work yet? - I don't know yet. Am I going to give up? - HELL NO!

If I keep working hard on my mindset, keep taking action, keep my mind/eyes open, and keep the Fastlane Commandments in mind, I know I'll find an automated business process to build that will propel me into the Fastlane. The same way 15yo me never questioned that I could get a PhD and become a tenured professor. I've done this once - I can do it again.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Chemistry Professor, eh?

I think I know the perfect Fastlane business for you.

1612393975977.png

(For legal reasons, that's a joke)

Trail_&_Error

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 4, 2020
Seattle
phd050619s.gif

Well said, this a on reason why I asked him what is specialization was within chemistry to find out opportunities the exist within skill set. You are right, the experience helps see avenues that others cannot.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
What I haven't figured out is how to monetize it, based on the budget/cost/spending structures that universities tend to use. But I need to spend some time on that and really make sure I'm not missing an opportunity there.

I second this idea-- Maybe start with a friendly conversation with your university's licensing office to find out what their challenges and needs are, and go from there. Perhaps you could get a commission for deals that your bring them?

With your credentials, you could even cold approach chem/pharma companies to at least learn their needs and processes. It's an elephant of an industry, if there ever were one, and badly needs some entrepreneurial intervention.

I wouldn't worry about investment-- if that is even required, there's a whole infrastructure out there catering to fundraising that you can tap into.

Do you know of any great hidden IP that is ripe for the picking for the right industry?

Is there a centralized database of licensable IP form universities that are any good (that's another idea!)

Lots of angles,.

Ultimately, don't discount your experience.

Chem PhD's may be a dime a dozen. "Entrepreneurs" are the same. But how many entrepreneurial chem Phd proferssors are out there?

Take advantage of that, it's valuable and a great entry barrier.

Welcome to the forum!

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Chemistry Professor, eh?

I think I know the perfect Fastlane business for you.

(For legal reasons, that's a joke)

Mathuin,

You and my wife think along the same lines...

We got married a couple of months before I started my faculty position. One day my first year running my lab, I came home and my wife was watching Breaking Bad. She was all excited and said "Honey, you can do this! You have the facility to make really pure stuff and you'd even have analytical data on it! We can buy a house and not have a mortgage!". She was kidding, but she's banned from watching that show to this day.

That said I've been kicking around potentially doing a nutriceutical product and business. My wife's 20yo nephew is really into weight lifting and we had a long talk over the summer about the products he takes/likes, what they really do, what their limitations are, and potential new products that there might be a market for. If he can guide what the consumer wants and identify the need, I can provide the research on the physiological effect they should have, design the new active ingredients, and figure out how to get them made, formulated, and packaged using outsourcing in China and India. It might be time to look at that one more seriously...

Trail_&_Error

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 4, 2020
Seattle
Mathuin,

You and my wife think along the same lines...

We got married a couple of months before I started my faculty position. One day my first year running my lab, I came home and my wife was watching Breaking Bad. She was all excited and said "Honey, you can do this! You have the facility to make really pure stuff and you'd even have analytical data on it! We can buy a house and not have a mortgage!". She was kidding, but she's banned from watching that show to this day.

That said I've been kicking around potentially doing a nutriceutical product and business. My wife's 20yo nephew is really into weight lifting and we had a long talk over the summer about the products he takes/likes, what they really do, what their limitations are, and potential new products that there might be a market for. If he can guide what the consumer wants and identify the need, I can provide the research on the physiological effect they should have, design the new active ingredients, and figure out how to get them made, formulated, and packaged using outsourcing in China and India. It might be time to look at that one more seriously...
Thanks for sharing. I have a mutual friend who has partnered with a colleague to author this book and also created a supplement call Myosync.

Maybe I can be of help to you. I have been a sports performance coach for the last 6 years at the Power 5 collegiate level (Purdue, Vanderbilt and University of Washington) and highly involved with nutrition and supplemental aids. Maybe I can offer help in this area? Let me know.

643DDB30-E4C2-4697-B7B6-7195F0ED5BF9.jpeg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...