The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's Your Fastest eBay sale?

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Here's a bit of an odd one for you guys.

I repair electronics for fun & fiends, but have recently been trying to find routes to take it into a second fastlane venture. I recently bought two PSPs for ~GBP£20 (~USD$35-40) with various problems (one broken screen and the other wouldn't turn on) and used one to repair the other. Second hand 1st Gen ones retail for aound £30-50 each so I thought I'd be clever and list it as a 99p Auction with a £55 BIN, free P&P (or +£3 for 1st Class) and my standard 100% satisfaction garuntee to help drive bids.

Total time the listing was up and runing for before being bid & bought:

14 Mins, 34 Seconds.

Looks like I'm learning :)

Do any of you guy have any better times from listing to buying & payment? :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Just looking at it from a different angle.

It sold in less than 15 mins. Why?

Under priced perhaps?

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Sounds good, congrats.

I would not recommend you to repair stuff and re-sell, cause your revenue is tied to your invested work (=the more you repair, the more you should be able so sell). The only exception for repairing and reselling is bigger stuff like cars, houses, boats etc. (=magnitude), but it's not the best way for small items.

Go the marketing route.

Get 500-1000 positive ratings and learn lots about listing, how to present articles etc.

Read EVERYTHING that's available through Amazon on eBay.

The way to go is learning marketing & sales.

Here's a bit of an odd one for you guys.

I repair electronics for fun & fiends, but have recently been trying to find routes to take it into a second fastlane venture. I recently bought two PSPs for ~GBP£20 (~USD$35-40) with various problems (one broken screen and the other wouldn't turn on) and used one to repair the other. Second hand 1st Gen ones retail for aound £30-50 each so I thought I'd be clever and list it as a 99p Auction with a £55 BIN, free P&P (or +£3 for 1st Class) and my standard 100% satisfaction garuntee to help drive bids.

Total time the listing was up and runing for before being bid & bought:

14 Mins, 34 Seconds.

Looks like I'm learning :)

Do any of you guy have any better times from listing to buying & payment? :p

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Under priced perhaps?

I thought much the same Patrick. Most of the auction style listings see bids of £50+ when there's LOADS of games and extras thrown in... mine however, had not anywhere near as much. Judging by the names of the eBay account and delivery address, it looks like I've struck a mum/aunt buying a present for her son (bought by mum, sent addressed to son) or something similar. They've got some good feedback histories, so I'm confident its not going to bite me unless the repair job I've done is utter rubish. It's a tough one, but still a tiday £35 in my back pocket ;)

I would not recommend you to repair stuff and re-sell, cause your revenue is tied to your invested work
Tom, You are very correct. It simply isn't scalable for the fastlane for low stakes electronics. If I had the knowhow and skills for the higher value items, I'd shoot for them right now. Just got to build up the bank roll to do so first. (Fixed a TV for a girl at work oday too so I'm getting there :))

Do either of you think repairing could be made fastlane if it was to be dished out as a product such as training perhaps? Just a thought.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
OK, here is something for you:

#1 Study this thread like reading it 100 times https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fr...at-bootstrapping-thread-how-create-money.html
(note: Sign up @ the lambo forum and study the original thread even more - read it like 2-3 times a week).

#2 Buy broken iPhones with netlock directly off craigslist. [At one point you can buy them from eBay auctions, too, but start with craigslist]

#3 Repair iPhones and wait for the period when you can unlock them directly by the carrier fe AT&T. With BOTH a.) broken and b.) locked iPhones you should make some very DECENT PROFIT ;)

#4 Sell repaired and unlocked iPhones via eBay or again craigslist. Selling via craigslist = no paypal fees, no ebay fees and (small print= no taxes.....yes i know, i know)

#5 Read ANYTHING you can find on eBay, craigslist selling. Read EVERY post by every highly respected fastlane member (=lots of rep points) and don't waste your time with dreaming or thinking like 'I'll make 1 million in 6 month' bla bla...Start with 1 iPhone, 1 profit, 100 bucks and repeat the PROCESS. Don't make the huge mistake to get in your own way (=becoming cocky, treating customers without respect etc.), your ego will rise when you see your bankaccount go higher and higher. This is a TRAP, as many make their biggest mistakes when they think they know it all - are the #1 guy in the room etc. See this thread as an example: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...9-hustlers-guide-buying-selling-anything.html

If you are one of the few people out there who can go crazy on execution with this I guarantee you, you will be very well financially in 1-3 years (I know people who made their first million through stuff like this).

Good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
iPhone Repair, iPod Repair, iPad Repair - iCracked.com

Thats a great find Bernie! Teaching people to repair their own stock and then get them to buy the kit from your own warehouses... genius! I'm not sure if there's something similar in the UK, but you Sir have just awakened some creativity in me today! :thumbsup:

here is something for you...
TK, as always, a wealth of information & great pointers for everyone. :)
Speed++

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Thats a great find Bernie! Teaching people to repair their own stock and then get them to buy the kit from your own warehouses... genius! I'm not sure if there's something similar in the UK, but you Sir have just awakened some creativity in me today! :thumbsup:

Glad it helped, it did the same for me when I found their site while searching on how to repair my smashed iPhone. It's one of those things that makes you go "Duh, why didn't I think of that??".

I wonder if they are members here or have read TMF because their concept is so fastlane it isn't funny -- all of the discussions here about "how can I turn ___ into a fastlane business?" usually end up with the general verdict that is their business model: Don't do the work yourself, own the company that employs other people to do the time-consuming work, leverage and scale with their labor, and take your cut wherever it makes sense.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
It took a long time selling a laptop, bids took forever to roll in, buy it now was far away from the going price.

Long story laptop was returned to me from the 1st buyer, only to be bought within 5 hours at buy it now for more money on the relist.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
It took a long time selling a laptop, bids took forever to roll in, buy it now was far away from the going price.

Long story laptop was returned to me from the 1st buyer, only to be bought within 5 hours at buy it now for more money on the relist.

It's better to relist an overpriced buy it now item than selling it with a loss / underpriced. One of the first eBay tips I tell anybody starting selling on eBay...

For example: I've listed a leather jacket @ 249,- € that was worth like 30-40€ or even less. Listed it buy it now only 3 days.

Nobody cared.

After 3 days relisted it and after 2-3 hours somebody offered buy it now @ 180€.

Made ~ 130-150 € profit.

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
H'ok, I've been building upon TK's point about going for High Value Items (like iPhones, etc) and bought an iPad 2 last night for £185 with a broken digitizer (the touch bit) from eBay (craigslist is a bit crap in the UK). The seller fixed a smashed screen, which works, but has screwed up somewhere along the line. It can only be one of 3 options really:
1) The Digitizer is broken & needs replacing.
2) The iPad board itself is Broken or needs replacing.
3) He forgot to plug it in properly(!!!!)

I'm confident its number 3 ;) But am willing to take the risk.

They sell second hand in the region of £250-350 fairly regularly and top out around £450.

To sell it, I've been thinking about using: 99p No Reserve WITH a high BIN of £450/500

Now for the interesting discusstion bit:
Do I leave keep the listing as this or should I strike it higher or lower perhaps?

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
H'ok, I've been building upon TK's point about going for High Value Items (like iPhones, etc) and bought an iPad 2 last night for £185 with a broken digitizer (the touch bit) from eBay (craigslist is a bit crap in the UK). The seller fixed a smashed screen, which works, but has screwed up somewhere along the line. It can only be one of 3 options really:
1) The Digitizer is broken & needs replacing.
2) The iPad board itself is Broken or needs replacing.
3) He forgot to plug it in properly(!!!!)

I'm confident its number 3 ;) But am willing to take the risk.

They sell second hand in the region of £250-350 fairly regularly and top out around £450.

To sell it, I've been thinking about using: 99p No Reserve WITH a high BIN of £450/500

Now for the interesting discusstion bit:
Do I leave keep the listing as this or should I strike it higher or lower perhaps?

Try this:

Buy it now 399

Relist it up to 3-4 times if not sold, try 3, 5 and 7 days (if you have an ebay shop listing fee is only few cents...)

If you don't sell after 3-4 times relisting, try lower price 50 bucks to 349 (if you like to you can do this after 1 buy it now listing if it doesnt sell, list it again at 349 or wait and list it 3-4 times at 399)

do xxl photos of the ipad and upload 2 imageshack.com > now copy and paste directly from imageshack BELOW your listing text (not as regular ebay image as this costs money > adding photos to listing is FREE)

one things that can dramatically increase your wanted price and how fast it can sell:

as a sub headline (the line that shows below the main ebay title) add a '12 month defects liability'.. i dont really know 100% how this is called in english in germany it's called 'gewährleistung'. it's NOT a guarantee, it just says that you tell the seller that you sell a working device and you say for 12 month it will run... a guarantee is something different, as this is a service that gives the buyer to send in a broken device and you would repair it for them, which is not the case here.

the trick about 12 month defects liability: in germany it's a law that when you sell something electronic fe on ebay EVERY sale includes this 12 month liability, because the seller MUST declare a working or broken device properly. BUT most sellers DON'T mention it in their offers, but for buyers this is a big thing of seller trust.

AND: most people/buyers mix up the difference between a defect liability and a guarantee. check your local ebay rules / country laws for warantee, guarantees etc.

if you have questions feel free to pm or ask here, good luck mate :icon_super:

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
oh and i forgot 1 thing:

list the ipad in your local craigslist etc. for 399...maybe you are lucky and can sell the ipad without ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping cost and taxes ;-)

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
very nice!!!

would you like to share some of your tips how you did this - what you have learned?

thank you

I sold out within TWO hours of listing and made about £350 profit in that time

With replica goods I once made £1200 in a wholesale deal with some local Polish market workers.

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
lol, got one point to highlight: RESEARCH!

Despite there being some people on eBay selling 16GB iPad 2s for £400... the retail price Brand New from Apple is £325!!! Woops! This guys screwed a lot up and the final replacement component should hopefully arrive in the next week or so, until then I'm going to have to make do with a stuck volume button before selling it.

£399 shouldn't work for this one, so I think I might try £330 BIN w/ free delivery once its all polished up and looking pretty. Been a pretty crazy week!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.