The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you make of this e-mail (concerns domain names)

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
So I received this e-mail apparently from asia, and the language barrier is proving to be a problem. From what i can tell is looks like an asian domain registrar wants the domain name I hold and or the company name i intended to register if the business was viable? There is no legal action to be taken against me correct? I hold a domain name they are interested in which I have used to test a market. I do not have a registered company, I just own the domain name which was registered with 1&1 internet. So what conclusion would you make of this, and could it just be a scam?

[FONT=&amp]"(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward to the right person/ department, as this is urgent, thank you.)

Dear Director,

We are the department of registration service in Asia. Currently, we have a urgent issue needing to confirm with your company.

On Feb 27, 2013, we received an application formally. One company named "Wkyk Management Group" wanted to apply for the Brand Name "baitrunners" and some domain names through our body.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
After our initial checking, we found the Brand name and domain names being applied are as same as your company! So we have to confirm with you at two points:
1. If the aforementioned company is your business partner or your subsidiary, please DO NOT reply us, we will approve the application automatically.
2. If your company have nothing to do with the aforementioned company, they maybe have other purposes to register the Brand name and domain names.

Currently, we have postponed this application of this company temporarily already. In order to deal with this issue better, please let the responsible officer contact us as soon as possible."

[/FONT]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Interesting.

It could be a scam, or it could be a genuine startup in asia jumping the gun on a future domain to use...

Did the email come with contact details & a postal address? Does it look legit? Have you looked either company up (I couldn't find much on "Wkyk Management Group") for more info?

My guess would be its just someone interested in buying your domain. If you need it, keep it. If not, then be careful with how you might go about selling it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Scam.
Delete.
Return to your life.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting.

It could be a scam, or it could be a genuine startup in asia jumping the gun on a future domain to use...

Did the email come with contact details & a postal address? Does it look legit? Have you looked either company up (I couldn't find much on "Wkyk Management Group") for more info?

My guess would be its just someone interested in buying your domain. If you need it, keep it. If not, then be careful with how you might go about selling it.

It actually does include contact information and was sent by the domain company "easyfa". I don't understand how they say they are going to continue with the domain registration, how is that possible if I own it?

I am not too concerned here, just trying to get some clarity.

Thanks for the responses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
It's a total scam, trust me. I see dozens of these, my customers see hundreds. They are just mining the whois database and trying to get you to register similar names to what you already own in crappy TLDs in other countries.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
It's a total scam, trust me. I see dozens of these, my customers see hundreds. They are just mining the whois database and trying to get you to register similar names to what you already own in crappy TLDs in other countries.

My whois is private, however I did include contact on the website to the company e-mail which is what they contacted. I guess that would make sense, to solicit more registrations. Thanks

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%