The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to do with $1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn50

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Jun 26, 2014
Hi.

I’m looking for ideas on what to do with $1 million. I want to do something where I can get a good return, optimally 10-20% through a business or other avenue. I’m under 40 so I’m hoping I can generate income off this for a long time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Hi.

I’m looking for ideas on what to do with $1 million. I want to do something where I can get a good return, optimally 10-20% through a business or other avenue. I’m under 40 so I’m hoping I can generate income off this for a long time.

Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted ?

You shouldn't be lacking ideas or businesses to invest your $1million if you've actually read any of the books.

My $0.02 :smile2:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
A wise man on this forum once said, “models and bottles.” :rofl:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Theres a thread on this already. Cant you do a search or pay someone to do it for you?

Sheesh.

#landfill

No need to be an a$$ to a first time poster.

Hi.

Steady long-term income... how about buying some rental properties?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Methinks this is a drive by poster.

Best way to ensure that is to treat them like one.

how about buying some rental properties?

Yeah, this is probably where I'd plant my flag as well. Pick up a few books on the subject, see if it's right for you.

You certainly won't see 10-20% returns in any kind of passive investment (without some kind of gambling involved, anyway) so whatever you decide make sure it's something that you can enjoy being active in and that can hold your interest.

Out of curiosity - is this windfall money, savings, or did you build up to it through other business ventures? Not that it really matters but it would be a good idea to take an inventory of your skillset and skill level before diving into something new. Understand anything is going to have a learning curve and while starting with a million bucks is nice, it's not enough on it's own to ensure success.

Shawn50

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Jun 26, 2014
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help. Background on me is I have read Millionaire Fastlane several years ago as well as Unscripted .

I have a fastlane medical business that I employ about 70 people and this is where the money came from. I’m looking to see what business to move into next whether passive or active due to slow downs in the medical industry.

Thanks again.

Best way to ensure that is to treat them like one.

Yeah, this is probably where I'd plant my flag as well. Pick up a few books on the subject, see if it's right for you.

You certainly won't see 10-20% returns in any kind of passive investment (without some kind of gambling involved, anyway) so whatever you decide make sure it's something that you can enjoy being active in and that can hold your interest.

Out of curiosity - is this windfall money, savings, or did you build up to it through other business ventures? Not that it really matters but it would be a good idea to take an inventory of your skillset and skill level before diving into something new. Understand anything is going to have a learning curve and while starting with a million bucks is nice, it's not enough on it's own to ensure success.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a fastlane medical business that I employ about 70 people and this is where the money came from.

That sounds awesome!

Sounds like a great story if ever you decided to post a thread on your journey. I'm sure there's a lot we could all learn from it!

Welcome :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Methinks this is a drive by poster.

Joined in 2014. Posting in 2017.

Prob an occasional lurker.

One with a Mil, so probably someone we could learn something from.

Either way, I wouldn't be encouraged to post more if my first post resulted in people being an a$$ to me.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Either way, I wouldn't be encouraged to post more if my first post resulted in people being an a$$ to me.
I admit, I was a little harsh.

But I think that if we all had a million dollars to spend, the last thing we would be doing is taking the advice of random people on the internet.

In any case my advice would be to read the books.

But there's a gold post on a topic like this, so I'm to assume that people do this all the time. "I have X amount of dollars. What do I do?"

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
But I think that if we all had a million dollars to spend, the last thing we would be doing is taking the advice of random people on the internet.

This forum is not quite random people on the internet. Many here have made millions, and would have an idea of what to do with a Mil.

With that logic, why would anyone start any thread on this forum?

The random, faceless, people here have plenty of good ideas worth considering.

But there's a gold post on a topic like this, so I'm to assume that people do this all the time. "I have X amount of dollars. What do I do?"

Fixed your first post for you:

Hi @Shawn50,

Welcome to the forum!

What to do with extra cash is a pretty commonly asked question here. Here's a gold thread on this topic that might help you out:
GOLD - The final solution to all "I have some money what do I do?" threads.

Shawn50

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Jun 26, 2014
I admit, I was a little harsh.

Hi Guys,

Don't worry about being harsh. I've been in business several years and it is nothing but harsh so I don't get offended.

Also, I am a big believer in Dale Carnegie's book, How to Win Friends and Influence People. He gave an example of Abraham Lincoln who would be upset with someone and then write a nasty letter to them and put it in his desk. He would pull it out two weeks later and if he still felt the same way he would send it. He never sent these letters. Basically, I believe the point is you control your own emotions and no one else does.

One other line he mentioned in his book was "You get more flies with honey." That is very true.

Funny story, I got into my fastlane business from a Craigslist posting so there is value from people on the internet. You just have to do your due diligence.

In any case my advice would be to read the books.

But there's a gold post on a topic like this, so I'm to assume that people do this all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Hi.

very simple

i do need 1 millions bucks

just send me the million bucks and i will open the hotel in the mountains for you

you will be the boss and i am the local tenant

so when you come to europe, i will be ready to welcome you with special gifts.

your american food will be available as well as local foods

so you won't be disapointed in any case

i will think about everything and do everything

just come when you want ,

get the cash of the business

and enjoy the mountains lifestyle and the good life

and i am serious here

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
$1 million, while a lot of money, isn't really enough to get any decent results from more passive investments. (At your level of success, I'm sure you realize that)

My thoughts on your options:

1) double down on your business. If there is a slowdown, that means competitors are seeing the same slowing of sales. Might be a good time to muscle your way further into your market, or expand into other markets in the same category.

2) invest in or start another actively managed business. Difficult (at best) to focus your efforts on more than one thing though.

3) active investments such as real estate.

Whatever you do, be wary of the stock market (PE of 34+!!) and make sure you don't overpay for real estate, it's at the top in a lot of places as well.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
MJ has a section at the end of Unscripted detailing the various types of investments he has been successful in. There's also a large thread on the inside with step by step instructions on trading options. I think MJ averages around 10% monthly.

From my experience in taking losses in the stock market as well as private equity investments, I would much rather invest that money on my own business where I can maintain CONTROL.

Take a look at some of @SteveO's content. The guy bought and rehabbed a golf course! This type of active investment sounds a lot better of an option then passively renting out a property or hoping your stocks will go up or pay a dividend.

Look into business's such as storage garage's, condo's, and automated car washes. This can be very hands-off when managed properly.

JoannaGl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
Some simple rules that help me to make great investments and returns:
1. Do not limit youtself to only one type of investment.
2. Observe the market and follow up the bad news and scandals.
3. When something is going bad and people are in panic it is probably the greatest opportunity to make money due to low prices.
4. Do not buy when everybody is buying. Buy when everybody is selling.

Examples:
1. Volkswagen emmision scandal. The stock price was falling down and down as long as the bad news were on the first sides in newspapars. After about a month I bought them. Almost 100% return after about a year.
2. Brexit. After the «scary» news about brexit the GBP has crashed. I bought some. Great deal!
3. The oil price was really low for some time ago. What did it mean? You should buy something from that market.

So I believe it is not a question WHAT to buy. My favourite question is: What is EXTREMELY CHEAP RIGHT NOW?

I am looking for some new scandals. Any ideas?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Examples:
1. Volkswagen emmision scandal. The stock price was falling down and down as long as the bad news were on the first sides in newspapars. After about a month I bought them. Almost 100% return after about a year.
2. Brexit. After the «scary» news about brexit the GBP has crashed. I bought some. Great deal!

You really get it! Kudos on those great investments.

So I believe it is not a question WHAT to buy. My favourite question is: What is EXTREMELY CHEAP RIGHT NOW?

I am looking for some new scandals. Any ideas?

Bitcoin. Not really a scandal, per se, but just a deflation of the incredible hype bubble of November/December. Lost 50% of it's value in the last month, and still uncertain if it's got more dropping to do. We're just returning to the mean.

I bought in in December... but I wished I'd have kept some cash on hand to buy more now!

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
I'm not an expert on this topic. And I don't have $1 million.

But a branch of ING Bank that's located in Turkey offers 4% interest rate on its savings account. That's for the first year and only to new customers and up to $250,000. There's 18% tax for profits on savings accounts for USD in Turkey (15% if you choose to stay more than 365 days).

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
10 to 20% is going to take an active role. Angel invest, etc. Could you splinter off with a similar or supporting business from what you do now? Could you buy the building you are in or rent equipment to the competition?

you could put $1M in tax free muni and pull about $3k per month.
that is a nice beer / golf fund.....

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
2. Observe the market and follow up the bad news and scandals.

I have a buddy who has made very good income by doing exactly this.

He basically looks at the bad news, decides if it's REALLY impactful long-term or if it's just some sensationalist short-term nonsense, and then if it's just nonsense short-term panic he buys the dip.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
$1 million, while a lot of money, isn't really enough to get any decent results from more passive investments. (At your level of success, I'm sure you realize that)

It’s not incredibly difficult to make a 10% ROI as an investor - are you saying $100k/year passive is not significant?

Shawn50

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Jun 26, 2014
It’s not incredibly difficult to make a 10% ROI as an investor - are you saying $100k/year passive is not significant?

Thanks. What would you suggest for 10% return?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Take a look at some of @SteveO's content. The guy bought and rehabbed a golf course! This type of active investment sounds a lot better of an option then passively renting out a property or hoping your stocks will go up or pay a dividend.
You will have the opportunity to make a lot more money off of your investments if there is an active role. I personally like taking undervalued "distressed" properties and bring them back to profitability. Then sell for the greater profit.

You have a successful business. It would not make sense for you to invest this way as it would be a distraction.

What might make sense is that you could put some of your excess cash into cashflowing real estate. Perhaps small apartment buildings, rental houses, NNN commercial properties. If you pay cash and hire managers to take care of these, you have cashflow backed by real assets.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
I would definitely not put it in the stock market in 2018. I'm usually wrong about the market, so don't listen to me, but that said, the stock market scares me at these levels.

I would take a full year studying your options. Reading books, posting this question on multiple forums, etc.

My guess at the best idea is probably rental properties. You just have to know what you're doing first(read and study a lot first).

The other thing I would guess would work is buying pre-existing franchises that have been around for a while. Like someone who owns the McDonalds in your town who wants to retire out.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Thanks. What would you suggest for 10% return?

Personally, I'm investing in Real Estate. You can make the 10% in all kinds of ways so it's up to you do your research and do what you feel most comfortable investing in. No matter what it will take time and effort to become knowledgeable in any asset class you want to start investing in.

It looks like you have the business figured out, and you need to start educating yourself as an investor. SteveO hit the nail on the head:

You will have the opportunity to make a lot more money off of your investments if there is an active role. I personally like taking undervalued "distressed" properties and bring them back to profitability. Then sell for the greater profit.

You have a successful business. It would not make sense for you to invest this way as it would be a distraction.

What might make sense is that you could put some of your excess cash into cashflowing real estate. Perhaps small apartment buildings, rental houses, NNN commercial properties. If you pay cash and hire managers to take care of these, you have cashflow backed by real assets.

This is essentially what I'm doing. Business is my wealth generating, "risky" endeavor; I want to see the money I make grow with relatively low risk investments. My profits are going to be funneled in mostly Real Estate in the way that SteveO mentioned: Cash Flowing RE backed by real assets.

It does take time and effort to find RE deals that will yield 10% (and above) but it's very doable. For me, any appreciation is icing on the cake as I'm looking for cash flow. Having $1m in Real Estate cash flowing $100k a year certainly doesn't suck - and no matter what you'd never have to work again.

Like I mentioned, you will need time and knowledge to become an RE Investor. Pick up The Millionaire Real Estate investor book. Join Bigger Pockets and start reading. When you get serious find a mentor.

If you want somewhere to park cash while you figure this out you can look into REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) and/or a general brokerage account.

Remember, finding one good deal that will cash flow 10%+ will require you to say no to maybe a dozen or so other deals. It's a process, just like anything else.

I think there is a real problem with business owners with excess cash and not knowing how to invest it. I've seen people throw money away in bad business bets (ex: angel investing). I've seen people lose 8 figure fortunes who had no clue how to invest and who spent recklessly. I've also seen people go from poor to multi-millionaires through business to multi-multi-millionaire investors. My point is you need to start getting an investor education and figure out how YOU will invest. No one will be a better steward of your money then YOU.

Over time as you become a seasoned investor your investment portfolio may look like 75% Real Estate, 15% Stocks and bonds, and the remaining 10% on speculative investments such as crypto, angel investing, etc. etc.

So this is the end of my hopefully helpful, long rant, because no one can realistically tell you where to put that $1,000,000 other than you.

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

??

Not what I meant, no.

I don't consider real estate passive.

Passive to me is stocks paying dividends, money lending, etc.

5% is more realistic for "passive" investments IMO. More active investments, like real estate, yeah 10% + is doable.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi.

I invest in real estate creating Passive Income -- both directly and through trust deeds. My yields are less on trust deeds, but they're a lot less management hassle -- since I have a bank escrow department do my collecting.

Jane S.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 25, 2016

My thoughts on your options:

1) double down on your business. If there is a slowdown, that means competitors are seeing the same slowing of sales. Might be a good time to muscle your way further into your market, or expand into other markets in the same category.

2) invest in or start another actively managed business. Difficult (at best) to focus your efforts on more than one thing though.

3) active investments such as real estate.

Whatever you do, be wary of the stock market (PE of 34+!!) and make sure you don't overpay for real estate, it's at the top in a lot of places as well.

Do you see any bargains at moment since market seems overpriced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads