The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What movies can teach us about real life. Spoilers..maybe

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
glen gary glenross
Thanks Daivey. This thread is giving me good ideas for writing and creating characters. :)

Thanks again! Just finished it! Really liked this movie!

Last edited:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Mattie said:
I don't know if I'd call that helping someone out.

Jim Bennett in the movie is not helping anyone out, he is a big apathetic egoist. But my post was not to review the movie, but to display the thoughts I got from that small conversation I quoted.

The movie itself was mediocre - This thread is not to be mixed with a movie-review-thread.

I like to find the juxtapose between the movie and real life, even if there are none intended. I do not believe I am always right or expect people to agree.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This was what I was looking for.
When you can survive this kind of crap you may just be one of the greats! Any Entrepreneur should watch this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
We should all be ashamed of ourselves. this man epitomizes fastlane. He is one of the greatest inspirations to have ever lived.

He fought through hell on Earth to get where he was. now he is worth mid 8 figures. his story was shown by hollywood but his life was 10x worse.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
He fought through hell on Earth to get where he was. now he is worth mid 8 figures. his story was shown by hollywood but his life was 10x worse.

Pursuit of happiness was a good one. :)

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
We should all be ashamed of ourselves. this man epitomizes fastlane. He is one of the greatest inspirations to have ever lived.

Great video

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
I think I tried watching this when it first came out and couldn't finish it. But nonetheless, I'm going to give it another try and here's why...

Many times you'll watch a movie when it releases and say "Meh, that sucks."

Then 15 years go by and you watch it again and then say "OMG, that was so good."

I encourage everyone here, especially us older folks, to try watching a movie you once judged as BAD. You might find yourself liking it as an older adult because you have matured, you suddenly can see the message that the movie was trying to convey.

My GF absolutely hated Benjamin Button on her first view YEARS ago. I forced her to watch it because I knew who she was back then vs now was a totally different person. She was absolutely shocked how much she enjoyed it second time around.

I find this happening to me as well where something I hated years ago is now loved... our perspectives change as do we. And so do the messages we can see from the movies.

So I enjoy finding older threads with nuggets...and one thread lead to another about Gattaca 1997.

From this 2010 post!

So, watched it today for the first time.

Time flies...(1984, Big Brother, DNA sampling, the value of all humans, Oh how far we...are?).

Would you try again @MJ DeMarco ?

Last edited:

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
The Green Mile : People hurt the ones they love. That's how it is all around the world.
--- No, people hurt a lot more those they don't love.
main-qimg-bd5d9ce6eb438786a36531406a686ba8

The Fight Club: The things you own end up owning you.
--- I would love to be owned by my passions. It's better than not to fight.

Birdman: Popularity is the slutty little cousin of prestige.
--- Popularity is amazing. I'd take any amounts of undeserved fame any day.
main-qimg-23a53129b849776c4fdd5fdebd3a7db0

Interstellar: We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt.
--- Maybe you do, I still wonder.
main-qimg-387e6ace152eb476842393c6944e45ff

The Lion King: Your past experiences are valuable lessons to you now, learn from them.
--- Yes, but learn a bit faster than Simba. He spent a decade partying with frats, and only ended up well due to royal ancestry and good genes (can fight). He never exercised to the point that Nala could get on top of him. The girl and the shaman had to tell him, just how much of a pathetic loser he was.
main-qimg-b48fc1152280d7a1e61c0b64c660a19d

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Don’t take missing any opportunities as a bad thing, you never know what life is trying to teach you.
--- I will tell you, it is bad, and life is trying to teach you not to miss opportunities next time.

main-qimg-fc3fe28ec8f81411902523c76a105cb6
On a serious note, you won't learn lessons from movies.

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
- Alexander, is an achievement worth it? As Marcus Aurelius said: “Alexander the Great and his mule driver both died and the same thing happened to both. They were absorbed alike into the life force of the world, or dissolved alike into atoms.”
-
Fight Club. "The things you own end up owning you." "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time,"
- The Godfather, an underworld exists, whether you like it or not. Your environment pushes you towards a specific path if you're not aware of it.
- Mediterraneo. Life is just a beautiful story, make it around great people in a great place.
- The Star Maker. If you screw others, you'll eventually get screwed.
- Boiler Room. Being ethical wins.
- Forrest Gump. Everyone can make his life extraordinary, it doesn't matter how you were born. Everyone is extraordinary.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
main-qimg-fc3fe28ec8f81411902523c76a105cb6
On a serious note, you won't learn lessons from movies.

lessons are everywhere arround us. but we don't see them because of our current level of consciousness.
your current level of consciousness is very predictable from a higher point of view
for example, you think you are the good guys, you are free, you will save the world and so on.
this is very predictable and scam artists can and are using your current understanding of life against you.
people who can understand more than us on a global scale are wise guys ( spiritual teachers ) , scam artists ( gurus and so on ) and initiates from secret societies.
for example, nobody really understands the meaning of this picture but initiates. this is not what you think at all. you have to be an initiate to understand it.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Cool Hand Luke.