The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your why?

Edward5

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 13, 2017
US
People say when you have a goal that your goal must be big and you have to know your why.
Why do we have to know your why?
And do you know some book where is explained why do we have to know our why?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Simen Sinek has a very popular TED talk, Start with Why. He later created a book, but most of what you're looking for is in the 18 minute TED talk. I really liked the TED talk and bought the book.

TDB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 12, 2021
TED talk was good. I actually found his second book on the topic (Find Your Why) a lot more useful (actionable) that his "Start with Why" book.

jpl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 12, 2021
If you didn't know your why you wouldn't be here, because you would most likely be satisfied with where you are and not seeking to improve your situation. I think you don't need a noble reason like wanting to save the world to try and become independent from the script.

Maybe that's easy for me to say though because my why is a rather generic but very strong one: I want my kids to have more support from their parents than I had, so they can focus on growing their happiness and don't have to worry about the same stuff that is going through my head for years. It's not like I don't have enough money for food or a warm place to sleep (even though I was living off basic foods like rice for months and almost became homeless once), but I consider many things standard that most of the population is able to afford. Starting with stuff like being able to pay for a trip to visit your elderly grandparents if their health isn't good and such.

Knowing why certainly helps to stay motivated and determined.

As for the book recommendations you're asking for, I spent three years studying philosophy trying to find a very basic why (why am I alive/here?). In the end I got a degree but also found that most questions went unanswered, no matter where I looked/asked. In the end life is what you make of it and how you look at it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
As for the book recommendations you're asking for, I spent three years studying philosophy trying to find a very basic why (why am I alive/here?). In the end I got a degree but also found that most questions went unanswered, no matter where I looked/asked. In the end life is what you make of it and how you look at it.

The mind is born empty, and philosophy doesn't really get us very far. We're social animals that are incredibly adaptive, by nature of both of these qualities, we're here to contribute to humanity however we can. Of course then figuring out how to contribute is left unanswered, and really...it's up to each of us to decide.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.