The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Is The Official Terminology Called? (How to Learn Anything!)

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
CAD / CAM: Computer Aided Design / Computer Aided Manufacturing

When an engineer or designer makes a digital mockup of an item using specialized software, it is CAD.
Picture: 3D model of a future product
FC_CAD.jpg

When an engineer or technician uses the drawings to program their manufacturing tools (e.g. lathes, mills, 3D printers) for production, it is CAM.
Picture: Post production. Solid blocks of metal were ground, drilled, and engraved using computer-controlled machines.
FCS_small.jpg IMG_7205.JPG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'd quite like to know how to get my fashion ideas designed and put into production.

Here's one from my personal vault;

People like to talk about "coding" as if "coding" is a single skill set, but it isn't. In order to be good at "coding" you need to specialize in a single type of code, or be reasonably good at all types of it.

I kept reading things like; "Learn how to code" etc. as if it was meant to be career/get rich advice, but it isn't. There is also a thread on this forum about it unless I'm mistaken. I done a c# course on coursera to see what was what, it was gaming orientated (some of you may have done the course too) but where does that lead?

I think this post may be my first incomplete thought that probably shouldn't have been posted, but maybe someone can finish it off for me, or fill in the blank? Because I kinda forgot what my point was half way through.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
@Marc B. I love the CAD and CAM stuff. Always fascinated me taking an idea from concept to screen to production. I know I want to do something down the line in relation to this. Not sure if business or hobby related.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
@Marc B. I love the CAD and CAM stuff. Always fascinated me taking an idea from concept to screen to production. I know I want to do something down the line in relation to this. Not sure if business or hobby related.
I hated doing that stuff in school.

It's kind of like physics:
Fascinating when you think about it, boring when you actually do it.
Just sayin';)

But it's awesome when you can watch the CNC-machines(computer numerically controlled: said lathes, mills, 3Dprinters) do
the CAM after all the coding.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
It's kind of like physics:
Fascinating when you think about it, boring when you actually do it.
One of the things in school that actually interested me was Physics. Not only the theory behind it but developing real world applications that we could test it with.
But it's awesome when you can watch the CNC-machines(computer numerically controlled: said lathes, mills, 3Dprinters) do
the CAM after all the coding.
I have been looking at 3d printers and hobby CNC machines. Just have to wait until the new year until I dive into one.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
One of the things in school that actually interested me was Physics. Not only the theory behind it but developing real world applications that we could test it with.

I have been looking at 3d printers and hobby CNC machines. Just have to wait until the new year until I dive into one.
Awesome! I never had the patience for the theory, I need action.

You might find this interesting http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
I got this link from forum user @Unknown, he's into the hobby cnc stuff.
Maybe he can help you out if you've got any questions.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Awesome! I never had the patience for the theory, I need action.

You might find this interesting http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
I got this link from forum user @Unknown, he's into the hobby cnc stuff.
Maybe he can help you out if you've got any questions.

It's been a few years since I've done any robotics/cnc stuff. I did it for fun before I found TMF :) It's a lot of fun though.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, a thread that should never get old or go out of style.

Stacia.Henry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 24, 2024
I was just thinking the other day how wonderful it is to just Google something and learn anything you want.

In fact, much of the difficulty in discovering something new is figuring out the official terminology for what it is you are seeking out. It is this key that makes the Google search powerful... without the correct terminology, the search will come up short with weak results.

Just to give you an example, you are creating a product with multiple components. You would like to have this components assembled automatically, versus having them hand aggregated.

What do you search for?

The answer is "Kitting" -- which is the correct lingo for product assembly.

Another example, you'd like your website to continual load new data, without having to click extra "Next" buttons. You see this is quite common on the web nowadays, and you'd like to do it. But what is that officially called?

It's called "infinity scrolling" and that is the Google search that would return optimum results.

So use this thread to help each other out... what are the official TERMS for things that people all recognize, but might not know their official names?

Please share.
Love this forum I have decided to teach myself coding and already have two short cuts to put on my list. Thank you MJ

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jan 17, 2024
The way I figure out how to find whatever it is I’m looking for on google is to just reword my search several different ways until I finally find something relevant to help me solve my problem or learn my craft. I also type ‘what’s it called when you ___’ in google to learn a term quickly. Usually there’s loads of answers. Again though if I don’t find one I reword my search to say things like ‘the word for ______’ and ‘thesaurus _______’ and ‘dictionary _______’

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.