The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if we could make Reading a lot smoother?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
There are some things that pretty much all of us on here have in common.

One of those is, that we all read a lot.

Though of course there are more ways of learning something new, reading remains at the top with listening, watching and others.

But for many, reading is quite an (mentally) exhausting activity. Getting more exhausting the dryer the subject.

What if we were able to change the way we read to a more efficient, enjoyable and smoother one?

Tell me, how did you read the last few paragraphs of this post?

Let‘s look at the following sentence. Read it just as you would anything else:

How are you reading these words?

Did the way you read it resemble this, with every ^ showing the word you read and your eye movement while reading:

How are you reading these words?
.. ^….^…..^……..^……….^………^

Yes? But it doesn‘t stop there right? Not only did your eyes look at each word, you also sounded out every one of them in your head right?

Don‘t worry if that is the case. This is basically how most of us learn to read when in school.

We learn to read by saying first the letters and then the words out loud. And while at some point we stop speaking the words out loud while reading, we continue this way of reading inside of our mind.

What this does, though, is to limit how fast you could actually read. And probably your enjoyment and ease of reading.

Why?

The average talking spead is around 200-250 words per minute. Reading the words out loud, even if only in your head, limits your reading speed to around this number.

To put it into context, 250 words is around 1 page of a book.

While 1 page per minute is not that bad, many read even slower than that and may take 2 or 3 minutes per page.

But speed isn‘t the only factor. Reading this way, especially for long periods of time, can also be exhausting.

So, how can we not only read faster but also make the process a more enjoyable one, while at the same time not lose our comprehension of what we read?

By doing 2 things:

Stop to subvocalize and start to read in chunks.

Subvocalization is what I just described: saying the words out loud in your mind while reading.

We do not need to do this to understand the words. You can try it right now. Try to read the rest of this post without sounding the words out in your head. Instead, just look at them.

You still understand what you are reading, right? At first, it‘s kinda strange not hearing the words, to not read them to yourself. And as this has been your way of reading for probably most of your life, it can be difficult to get rid of this habit. So don‘t worry, if you find yourself sounding out a word here and there.

Are you still reading by just looking at the words? Yeah? Great. Kinda cool, isn‘t it? Feels really smooth if you get into the flow of it.

Now let’s take this even further.

Right now you‘re probably still looking at each single word, like this:

I’m a sentence read word for word.
.^..^…….^………..^…….^…..^……^

Since you are no longer sounding out the words, you can actually read multiple words at once, so called chunks of words. Chunks are usually 2 or 3 words read at once and you read them like this:

I‘m a sentence read in chunks of words.
…..^………………………^………………^

Instead of 8 eye fixations we only have 3 for this sentence.

Now try to read the last bit of this post in chunks and see how it feels.

By using both techniques together, reading without subvocalization and in chunks, we can increase our reading speed a lot. Let‘s just assume you now read between 400 words per minute. That‘s almost double of what you read before (assuming you were within the average range).

I‘d say 400-500 words per minute is really fast while not too fast to comprehend what you read. Which brings me to my last question, and one that may have lingered in the back of your mind since you started reading this post:

What about my comprehension?

Instead of me answering this for you, I‘d like you to answer it for yourself.

Are you still reading these words by just looking at them? And since learning about the chunking method, in chunks of words as well?

Yes?

Then tell me: how much of what you‘ve read did you comprehend?

I hope quite a bit. If not all.

Please remember, though, that this is a skill and can take time to really get into. Especially since your old way of reading is something you did for a very long time.

But with some practice I hope this can help you to read more, in less time, with more ease and enjoyment and all the while comprehending everything that you read.

This is the end of the post, you can now stop reading without sounding out the words in your mind, and in chunks. Or you don’t :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
That's a good strategy if you are reading a paperbook. It also depends of the type of book.
If you are just enjoying a nice novel in an immersive universe, I think taking the time to read it to enjoy it as much as possible is best. Using this method is like rushing it and missing part of the flavor..

If you deal with method/technical books, this is definitely something useful to get the data more quickly.

For any an online text, you should have a look on Bionic Reading.
They designed an app for mobile, desktop and directly from your browser.

It's quite recent so it's still free for the moment. There will be free and paid plans at some point.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
If you are just enjoying a nice novel in an immersive universe, I think taking the time to read it to enjoy it as much as possible is best. Using this method is like rushing it and missing part of the flavor..

Absolutely.

I see it more as something that‘s really helpful to have in your repertoire of skills and that can enhance your reading experience.

I see it as something you can „turn on“ when you want to get through something quicker or for boring stuff, and turn it „off“ when you don‘t want to read as quickly. Or you could use a form of mixture, like when reading a novel you can slow down a bit but still read with the ease that comes with not subvocalizing every word.

For any an online text, you should have a look on Bionic Reading.

Bionic Reading is a good tool, though I didn‘t use it a lot yet. Another one is Beeline Reader, that uses colors to enhance the reading flow.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I have read "Become a SuperLearner: Learn Speed Reading & Advanced Memorization" which touches on both speed reading and how to improve retention - wasn't that impressed with the retention part, back then.

I prototyped a little on "playtexts.com" ... I wanted to break down RSS feeds into visible chunks and play them more like small, embeddable videos.
The feeling I got back then is that it has potential. Having a value for the play time of a blog post is really different from just getting a vague idea of how long an article is based on the scrollbar.

Making it easy to change the speed also offered a way to experiment with how retention and speed affect each other.
Back then I thought that it would probably make sense to add reflection pauses in there.
I always thought that text-to-speech would be an obvious step forward, but you are probably right that vocalized speed reading makes little sense and that a "fast mode" and a "podcast mode" both make sense but would probably differ a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.