The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What I learned first few days of bringing an idea to life --> You better have tough skin.

Idea threads

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
You come with the most genius idea ever and everyone will love it right?

I launched an idea this past week. I've never taken this step, due to doubts and fear. (I know, I know)

This time was different, I am very confident in what I have created and the benefits it provides. My team created a short video and spent a little money to get more eyes on it on fb and instagram.

Now I will explain how my experience went, and why it is important for anyone who is creating a product or service to understand. NOT EVERYONE WILL LOVE YOUR IDEA.

Video went up and people started to comment. As I read the comments, oh man not going to lie, the doubts came back again. I had people telling me the product sucks, its not needed, and some even used extreme profanity. I've never meant to offend anyone, but by reading the comments you'd think I insulted their ancestors. It was a very new and very real experience.

Its only a few days in, but let me tell ya, you cannot doubt yourself or your product. If you do, it's game over. Yeah it sucked reading those comments, but I also have had a lot of great comments and great compliments. I learned that not everyone will love your product, but at the same time , not everyone will hate your product. My kickstarter is almost 70% funded with 3 and half weeks to go.

If you're planning on launching a new idea or product, believe in yourself. Don't let a few words from different people deter you away from your goals and dreams. There will be harsh remarks, insults, and profanity. So prepare now. Understand that it will come. Never lose confidence in yourself. Finally, just go and prove them wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I've been called every name in the book and I've been told every negative thing you could think of about my business.

People have also said tons of incredibly positive things about me and my business.

I don't listen to any of it. Nobody really gets the full picture or really knows anything about me. I know 100 times more about my business or myself than anyone else's judgements, good or bad.

Glad to hear your project is getting funded, block out the noise and keep going.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Yeah I've found there's a lot of value in having a thick skin. If someone is critical though, instead of getting upset or dismissing it completely I always ask myself is there some grain of truth in what they say? If so, how can I use that to be better. The other question is whether the haters are actually your ideal customers? If not, it may not matter what they think. I wonder if an idea that evokes extremes of reaction is better than one that is safe but boring.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Yeah I've found there's a lot of value in having a thick skin. If someone is critical though, instead of getting upset or dismissing it completely I always ask myself is there some grain of truth in what they say? If so, how can I use that to be better. The other question is whether the haters are actually your ideal customers? If not, it may not matter what they think. I wonder if an idea that evokes extremes of reaction is better than one that is safe but boring.
100 percent. Love your comment. Should've put something like this in the post!!! Very well said.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I've been called every name in the book and I've been told every negative thing you could think of about my business.

People have also said tons of incredibly positive things about me and my business.

I don't listen to any of it. Nobody really gets the full picture or really knows anything about me. I know 100 times more about my business or myself than anyone else's judgements, good or bad.

Glad to hear your project is getting funded, block out the noise and keep going.
What is your business if you don't mind me asking? But sounds like you've been at this a while and you and your business has grown because of it. Love the advice.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What is your business if you don't mind me asking? But sounds like you've been at this a while and you and your business has grown because of it. Love the advice.
It is a home services company in Washington State. It's been a few years. It has grown primarily because I made every decision based on how I could scale it, not based on other peoples' opinions of how I should run it.

Zahida A. Khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 11, 2020
Toronto
I learned that not everyone will love your product, but at the same time , not everyone will hate your product.
Great share, @kpoa, and I'm totally with you on what you've learned.

My philosophy, "You win some, you lose some, you wreck some - so what, brush yourself off and keep going!"

Fritz.dvl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 20, 2018
Perú
You come with the most genius idea ever and everyone will love it right?

I launched an idea this past week. I've never taken this step, due to doubts and fear. (I know, I know)

This time was different, I am very confident in what I have created and the benefits it provides. My team created a short video and spent a little money to get more eyes on it on fb and instagram.

Now I will explain how my experience went, and why it is important for anyone who is creating a product or service to understand. NOT EVERYONE WILL LOVE YOUR IDEA.

Video went up and people started to comment. As I read the comments, oh man not going to lie, the doubts came back again. I had people telling me the product sucks, its not needed, and some even used extreme profanity. I've never meant to offend anyone, but by reading the comments you'd think I insulted their ancestors. It was a very new and very real experience.

Its only a few days in, but let me tell ya, you cannot doubt yourself or your product. If you do, it's game over. Yeah it sucked reading those comments, but I also have had a lot of great comments and great compliments. I learned that not everyone will love your product, but at the same time , not everyone will hate your product. My kickstarter is almost 70% funded with 3 and half weeks to go.

If you're planning on launching a new idea or product, believe in yourself. Don't let a few words from different people deter you away from your goals and dreams. There will be harsh remarks, insults, and profanity. So prepare now. Understand that it will come. Never lose confidence in yourself. Finally, just go and prove them wrong.
Interesting. I'm in a similar situation right now, planning to launch a Kickstarters campaing. The thing is that I'm from Perú and I'm not quite sure yet if there is any conflict or legal problem related to that.
But legals detail aside, If you knew what you know now, what would you do different? Would you double down on something specific?
what are the key thing that you focus on to get that 70% in founding?
Are you doing the marketing (facebook, instagram ads) yourself? you have a team?
Greetings and congrats on that 70%! Repost and gives an update by the time you reach 100%!

danielrvt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Aug 23, 2020
Caracas, Venezuela
Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious though, how did you overcome the fear before launching?

When you say "this time was different", is it because you did it in the past and learned from it or because you finally decided to jump in the water?

Wish you the best with your business!

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Interesting. I'm in a similar situation right now, planning to launch a Kickstarters campaing. The thing is that I'm from Perú and I'm not quite sure yet if there is any conflict or legal problem related to that.
But legals detail aside, If you knew what you know now, what would you do different? Would you double down on something specific?
what are the key thing that you focus on to get that 70% in founding?
Are you doing the marketing (facebook, instagram ads) yourself? you have a team?
Greetings and congrats on that 70%! Repost and gives an update by the time you reach 100%!
I cannot give you advice on any legal matters. I would get put more time into preparation. I have learned that kickstarter isn't as easy as just slapping your project on and people will come flocking. It takes so much more work than I had originally anticipated. I am currently doing fb/instagram ads and creating content with my team. Our budget isn't HUGE, so we have to be careful in what we invest in. (trying to get the most bang for our buck)

Currently I am at 85% funded. I have three weeks left in my campaign and it's been an amazing experience, but a lot of hard work. I would suggest (I am no expert at all) to get the word out about your product. Get family and friends involved and on board. Create a detailed pre-launch plan and collect emails from anyone who may be of interest.

Like I said, I am no expert. I have seen a lot of people on here who crushed their campaign goals! Which leads me to my next piece of advice, avoid comparing yourself to other people. I hope this helps a little.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious though, how did you overcome the fear before launching?

When you say "this time was different", is it because you did it in the past and learned from it or because you finally decided to jump in the water?

Wish you the best with your business!
I have had a few ideas in the past. I actually have an entire section in my "notepad" app on my phone dedicated to ideas that pop into my head. I've always let fear or doubt keep me back from even trying.

I had an idea years ago and one day I saw that same idea on sharktank. (this was 2-3 years AFTER I had the idea) They had just launched and got offered a $750,000 deal. I felt sick to my stomach tbh lol

You never know if you don't give it a shot. I've learned that it's not about the idea but about the execution. History is filled with success stories that have changed peoples lives in all aspects, because they decided to take a chance.

I am no guru or expert, but now I realize that fear/doubt is just poison and it kills so many dreams. The antidote is just saying, SCREW IT, and diving in. If you can conquer the way you think and change your mindset, the skies the limit!

bbar97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
I have had a few ideas in the past. I actually have an entire section in my "notepad" app on my phone dedicated to ideas that pop into my head. I've always let fear or doubt keep me back from even trying.

I had an idea years ago and one day I saw that same idea on sharktank. (this was 2-3 years AFTER I had the idea) They had just launched and got offered a $750,000 deal. I felt sick to my stomach tbh lol

You never know if you don't give it a shot. I've learned that it's not about the idea but about the execution. History is filled with success stories that have changed peoples lives in all aspects, because they decided to take a chance.

I am no guru or expert, but now I realize that fear/doubt is just poison and it kills so many dreams. The antidote is just saying, SCREW IT, and diving in. If you can conquer the way you think and change your mindset, the skies the limit!
You sound like me. I , no joke, have at LEAST 75 ideas written down on my phone. The trick is making one come to life.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
You sound like me. I , no joke, have at LEAST 75 ideas written down on my phone. The trick is making one come to life.
I wouldn't say the trick is making one come to life. I would say the trick is to take that first step. The trick is to convince yourself that you are capable of doing it and that you can do it. The trick is to not be afraid of failing.

In reality, that first idea may not work out. Instead of throwing in the towel, think about what you've learned and keep moving. You have 75 ideas? Thats 75 life changing opportunities.

bbar97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
I wouldn't say the trick is making one come to life. I would say the trick is to take that first step. The trick is to convince yourself that you are capable of doing it and that you can do it. The trick is to not be afraid of failing.

In reality, that first idea may not work out. Instead of throwing in the towel, think about what you've learned and keep moving. You have 75 ideas? Thats 75 life changing opportunities.
Yup, and for me specifically, I need to get out of the mindset of needing every single aspect of the business planned out before I take the first step. I act like I can predict how things will play out, but there's no way I can accurately predict every possible outcome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.