The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you guys think of Jordan Belfort?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Can we at least all agree that Margot Robbie is a bombshell?

margot-robbie-cast-as-harley-quinn-in-suicide-squad

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I agree with the Halbert one. But not so much about Jordan Belfort. Halbert have a free newsletter of what I know. Halbert have like 40-50 essays all free on his newsletter site. What did we really learn from Jordan Belfort? Sell... Sell .... Sell! Maybe. Not so much meat there. Unless you pay maybe? But I think Jordan Belfort is just mostly hyped up. Because of the movie.

Just my opinion.
Of course... you can't compare a Halbert newsletter to a Jordan Belfort movie... But i'm going right now through JB's video program Straight Line Psychology, and it is great at teaching you the mind necessary behind becoming a great salesman. Now this is a better comparison to Halbert's material... Yes, the movie hyped him up a lot! But i knew about him before the movie came out, so i come at it with a different mindset... the guy is a genius... too bad he used it with bad motives

Also Dan Kennedy, arguably one of the best copywriters alive now, owes his career to Gary Halber, he learned everything from him, same with other top copywriter, they all learned a lot from him.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
Seems uber-weasely, and whether or not you could learn only the effective stuff and not get any weasel on you is a moot point to me. I think I'd just rather keep my distance. Plenty of good ones to learn from.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
What do I think of Jordan Belfort? Or, what do I think I can learn from Jordan Belfort?

Bruce Lee has been quoted as saying, in various words more than once; take what you find to be useful wherever you find it.

Does it matter if he hurt people in the past? If he is reformed or if he's just projecting that image? It would matter if he was dating my daughter, but he isn't. What matters about him to me is what he has for me to learn from. I can learn from his mistakes, and I can learn from his triumphs. No question he is a powerful speaker and he can sell; and more to the point he teaches anybody who wants to learn from him just exactly how he does it, and he has laid bare his past for us all to take what we will from it.

So, to answer the basic question put forth by the OP: I think Jorden Belfort is a guy who lived an amazing slice of life that I'm happy to peek into but glad it isn't my life. I think I'd better open my ears and learn.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Even if Jordan Belfort pays back all the money he stole, he can never pay back the money his clients could have made somewhere else. Money he stole could have been used to invest in Google, Apple, or for a parent to put their kids through college. Instead it was stolen, and with it, it's potential. Jordan Belfort is/was a con-man, as in confidence man - he says so himself when describes himself as an "authority figure". He can never undo the damage he did.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Even if Jordan Belfort pays back all the money he stole, he can never pay back the money his clients could have made somewhere else. Money he stole could have been used to invest in Google, Apple, or for a parent to put their kids through college. Instead it was stolen, and with it, it's potential. Jordan Belfort is/was a con-man, as in confidence man - he says so himself when describes himself as an "authority figure". He can never undo the damage he did.

On the flipside of the coin, the money could have been invested in Enron, Worldcom, etc.

Any time you make an equity-based investment, you risk the chance of losing it all, yes that includes penny stocks.

Caveat emptor.

Tom Tran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 16, 2014
I think, about Jordan Belfort: it's not right or wrong. It's just about what you learn from him :p

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Is he a con-artist who can't help but capitalize off anything and anyone he can? Or is he actually a changed man who's trying to share his past mistakes, and knowledge with people to help them achieve their dreams? I'm not entirely sure. It's hard to say when the man in question has a reputation for being a master of bullshitting people.

All in all, sometimes inspiration comes from the most unlikely places. If you can learn anything from him and use it to do positive things, then good for you. If you would rather not learn from him, that's entirely understandable. I definitely don't think anyone should aspire to be like the younger version of himself who is portrayed in the movie.

You know how many people I've seen become aspire to the kind of lifestyle that was shown in the movie? Unfortunately way too many. It's like they completely missed the point. But, I think that says more about the individuals than anything. People ultimately find what they're looking for. And if they desire a life fueled by coke and being satisfied by 20 hookers a day, then they're going to find reasons to do that. You get what you pay attention to.

For me personally, I'm not exactly a groupie of his, but I've definitely gotten value from some of his quotes, and watched one of his seminars. My gut tells me that he's not such a terrible human being anymore, and is trying to make up for his past mistakes.

Tom Tran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 16, 2014
In the stocks market, there are a lot of con-man people who better than Belfort. If Belfort did not cheat clients, Enron - Arthur Andersen, Worldcom ... would do. Like MyronGainz said :)

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
On the flipside of the coin, the money could have been invested in Enron, Worldcom, etc.

Any time you make an equity-based investment, you risk the chance of losing it all, yes that includes penny stocks.

Caveat emptor.

You take a risk when you get out of bed in the morning, but that doesn't preclude others for being responsible for their actions. If I sell you a bottle of expensive wine, that turns out to be cheap wine mixed with anti-freeze, are you really going to blame yourself?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
For me personally, I'm not exactly a groupie of his, but I've definitely gotten value from some of his quotes, and watched one of his seminars. My gut tells me that he's not such a terrible human being anymore, and is trying to make up for his past mistakes.

He probably does have a lot of valuable advice and experience, but as another said here, that same advice is available from more honest people. Maybe Jordan is a changed man. IMHO, it is more likely he has changed his behavior rather than his nature. Tom Vu, Don Lapree, Jordan Belfort, they are all just different versions of the same person.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
In the stocks market, there are a lot of con-man people who better than Belfort. If Belfort did not cheat clients, Enron - Arthur Andersen, Worldcom ... would do. Like MyronGainz said :)

I'm not a "blame the victim" kind of person. Criminals often rationalize their behavior with similar logic: "Someone else would have stolen the money, if I hadn't", "Someone else would have raped her, if I hadn't", "The victim made me kill them.", "I only did what everyone else wanted to do.", etc. If these people really knew the future, they could just play the lottery.

I don't think you have to be sociopath to make a lot of money. Felix Dennnis blew $100M on coke and hookers, but I've never seen evidence that he cheated anyone. I would rather learn from people like Napoleon Hill, Zig Ziglar, Felix Dennis, and Ross Perot instead of crooks like Jordan Belfort.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
For everybody interested: this is the (supposedly) original training manual from Stratton Oakmont:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00770876517512314926

That is borderline evil, almost genius to some degree. which really begs the question, these guys could have sold anything. they could have sold electrical products to electricians. but no, they choose to sell ''the dream''.

Theres a lot to learn from this, both good and bad

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
That is borderline evil, almost genius to some degree. which really begs the question, these guys could have sold anything. they could have sold electrical products to electricians. but no, they choose to sell ''the dream''.

Theres a lot to learn from this, both good and bad

Selling "the dream" is more profitable

Tom Tran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 16, 2014
Belfort is very kind with women. He is reponsible with his family.
I will learn the first thing from him.
:p

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I disapprove of swindling people and using drugs, but other than that I think the movie is pretty awesome. I love how it glorifies money. Belfort calls himself a great American entrepreneur on the cover of his book, but that's a disgusting lie. He's just a con man and a swindler. He never created anything worthwhile.

Tengen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Revealed: Fine wine investment firm drains ‘millions’ from clients

• Unsuspecting clients were lured in by ‘aggressive’ techniques and ‘cold-calling’ that promised ‘wildly overestimated’ returns on wine.
  • Some clients invested tens of thousands of pounds, and got ‘less than half back’. One client we spoke to invested £100,000 but has got nothing in return.

The other day some douchebag backpacker tried to stop me on the street, purportedly raising funds for the Cancer Council. I gave him the cut-throat gesture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.