The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What did you do in the war, Grandpa?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
People ask what I did in the Navy, like you can sum up 20 years in a few words.

Here it is in a few words and a pic.

I was married to this type of aircraft...

Orion.usnavy.750pix.jpg

In the beginning, I fixed the electronics on them.
In the middle, I flew as a crew member on them. Way too much flying (over 5000 hours), but a lot of fun. Most times.
In the end, sent men to war in them.

My career was relatively safe, long and sometimes boring. I was fortunate.

Others wish to share?

Senior Chief jon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
"There is one great thing that you men will all be able to say after this war is over and you are home once again. You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you won't have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, "Well, your Granddaddy shoveled shit in Louisiana." No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say, "Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Third Army and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Georgie Patton!"

This thread reminded me of that quote

Navy
ITSA-IT2 Okinawa - all around Asia
MA2-MA1 - Kuwait / Qatar
Iraq / Afghanistan - Contractor - IT type

Loved every minute of it, all of it. Especially Okinawa. I still can't believe they paid a no-nothing 19 year old to live in Okinawa and have the time of his life. I definitely lucked out. Did you spend anytime in Asia, Senior? If you did Im pretty sure you can understand why I ended up in Thailand!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
:)
Thailand
Philippines
Korea
Japan
In order of the "liberty"

Did you spend anytime in Asia, Senior? If you did Im pretty sure you can understand why I ended up in Thailand!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
:)
Thailand
Philippines
Korea
Japan
In order of the "liberty"
:eusa_clap:

I did 3 weeks in Korea but the weekdays were spent out at sea doing diveops with the Korea Navy. have yet to hit the PI but I'll make it there eventually as a civilian. I'll have to find a place that's a bit more family friendly than AC

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
IT to MA and advanced. I smell a story for your grand kids.
Don't mean to clutter the thread with my posts but I arrived to Oki shortly after 9/11. I was in Bootcamp during 9/11 and I ended up working forcepro a good amount of time. It was a good assignment in Oki. But when I went back as a reservist as a MA and shipped off to Kuwait it wasn't what I expected. Forecepro suits me a lot better than writing seatbelt tickets :tdown:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Gotcha, okay.
Sometimes things that sound interesting are boring.
Like boring holes in the sky for 12 hours at a time.
But, our plane couldn't land on a carrier so it was a real bed every night after knocking back a few.

Don't mean to clutter the thread with my posts but I arrived to Oki shortly after 9/11. I was in Bootcamp during 9/11 and I ended up working forcepro a good amount of time. It was a good assignment in Oki. But when I went back as a reservist as a MA and shipped off to Kuwait it wasn't what I expected. Forecepro suits me a lot better than writing seatbelt tickets :tdown:

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
In other words, you have been killing people (suspects and/or innocent) most of the time during 20 years. You should be feeling proud I guess...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Nope and Nope
Most of my career was spent watching assholes. To insure that they didn't hurt themselves or others.

In other words, you have been killing people (suspects and/or innocent) most of the time during 20 years. You should be feeling proud I guess...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Not feeling the need to go all Jack Nicholson on you...

Society requires military and law enforcement to keep the peace and to protect "you" from bad people. It's never perfect, mistakes and abuses will always happen. But, someone has to do it so that you don't have to yourself. You matter where you live it wouldn't hurt you to thank someone one once in a while.

I didn't serve to be thanked. I enlisted because I was on a bad road and needed to change course. It was also during the Vietnam draft so I was a draft dodger by enlisting. I got to go the Spain and party with Brit chicks while those that had lessor test scores got to go get shot at. I stayed because I had bad role models in civilian life and good role models in the Navy. My goals were pitiful by fast-lane standards but they were goals none the less. I worked hard (some do/some don't) and was greatly rewarded. It was a fair exchange in that I'm only 10% disabled. And, if you're an American worker, I thank you. Your taxes pay for my retirement, hearing aids, CPAP Machine, physical therapy and medications for the rest of my life. Your parents and aunts and uncles also got to pay for my business degree and the mortgage guarantee on my home. You're too young to have contributed to that. I feel that I and all of those like me deserve every single benefit that you pay for.

And, we don't deserve to be judged by the ignorant. Most senior military members understand that if they do their jobs well, there will be more peace than war. Also, as I explained to a couple over older well respected members of this community over breakfast in February, many of us old war dogs have conflicted emotions over our service. Feelings that we would only share with someone worthy of our respect.

Carry on.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You might be a good man whom life threw down that military road, I don't judge you for that. I just hate reading anything "military" and "politics" related even in a tech/entrepreneurship forum after I have quit the news on TV for long time now.
Probably the best thing you can do now is to love and support your family, make their life happier because I wouldn't wish your kids or anyone else having a father like mine.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I put this in off topic for the veterans to share with each other and the others. Never gave much thought to the political possibility.

For example Jake now knows that if he's ever in the area, he'll want to reach out to meet me. Only he and I and maybe a few others know why. And, vice/vice if I visit Thailand.

About your Dad, it might get better. Me and Dad had some rough times. We got over it after my son was born. It took some effort for both of us but it was worth it to have been at peace before he died.

best
jon

You might be a good man whom life threw down that military road, I don't judge you for that. I just hate reading anything "military" and "politics" related even in a tech/entrepreneurship forum after I have quit the news on TV for long time now.
Probably the best thing you can do now is to love and support your family, make their life happier because I wouldn't wish your kids or anyone else having a father like mine.

Vidar

Business Ninjette
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jun 22, 2013
Utah
Just wanted to drop in real quick and say thanks for your service jon.a and Jake! My family has a long history of serving in the armed forces and I'm grateful to anyone who joins and serves to the best of their abilities. You definitely deserve the benefits our taxes pay for, plus some!! :)

Now, I'm off to brush up on my Excel skills.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.