The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What constitutes homework?

lee_mre

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2007
I constantly see a lot of "Do your howework" "Due diligence". What do you do to "do YOUR homework"?

I assume its more than simply crunching number, though I suspect it starts there? What else do you check? Where do you find your information?

I'm sure alot of us noobs would love to learn from some seasoned investors.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I agree. It's doing your numbers. Doing the right numbers. Understanding the numbers. Asking questions. Asking the right questions. Understanding the answers you receive. Covering your.... bases. :cheers:

Greg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
There is a lot of information that would go into defining "homework". One aspect would be with determining locations (metros) to purchase in. It would take a book or perhaps a minimum of a chapter to define this.

Due diligence on the other hand is understanding the investment. Again, it is a long list. There are a lot of resources that have been dedicated toward this topic. They can be found online or in many different real estate books.

lee_mre

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2007
There is a lot of information that would go into defining "homework". One aspect would be with determining locations (metros) to purchase in. It would take a book or perhaps a minimum of a chapter to define this.

Due diligence on the other hand is understanding the investment. Again, it is a long list. There are a lot of resources that have been dedicated toward this topic. They can be found online or in many different real estate books.

Thanks SteveO. I find it interesting that you make a difference between homework and due diligence. Sometimes I hear both terms used almose interchangably.

I would appreciate it if you could explain the nuanced difference between the two and how it would relate to finding/buying propery.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
They really are interchangable. Just my opinion but, homework is done prior to going under contract and due diligence is usually performed while you are in contract. Some of the initial homework is dd though and it all could be though of as dd.

Clearer now? :smx6:

KyJoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 28, 2007
I like to make sure the area is good around what ever property. It's good to really look at the neighboring properties, what you see is pretty much how it will be. I make sure to look around at night. Try to find out how much money other buildings in the area are selling for, not just the asking price. Look in the paper and find out what the rents are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.