The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

REAL ESTATE What constitutes homework?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

lee_mre

PARKED
Aug 31, 2007
I constantly see a lot of "Do your howework" "Due diligence". What do you do to "do YOUR homework"?

I assume its more than simply crunching number, though I suspect it starts there? What else do you check? Where do you find your information?

I'm sure alot of us noobs would love to learn from some seasoned investors.

Thanks

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Runum

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Traveling Western US
I agree. It's doing your numbers. Doing the right numbers. Understanding the numbers. Asking questions. Asking the right questions. Understanding the answers you receive. Covering your.... bases. :cheers:

Greg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
There is a lot of information that would go into defining "homework". One aspect would be with determining locations (metros) to purchase in. It would take a book or perhaps a minimum of a chapter to define this.

Due diligence on the other hand is understanding the investment. Again, it is a long list. There are a lot of resources that have been dedicated toward this topic. They can be found online or in many different real estate books.

lee_mre

PARKED
Aug 31, 2007
There is a lot of information that would go into defining "homework". One aspect would be with determining locations (metros) to purchase in. It would take a book or perhaps a minimum of a chapter to define this.

Due diligence on the other hand is understanding the investment. Again, it is a long list. There are a lot of resources that have been dedicated toward this topic. They can be found online or in many different real estate books.

Thanks SteveO. I find it interesting that you make a difference between homework and due diligence. Sometimes I hear both terms used almose interchangably.

I would appreciate it if you could explain the nuanced difference between the two and how it would relate to finding/buying propery.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
They really are interchangable. Just my opinion but, homework is done prior to going under contract and due diligence is usually performed while you are in contract. Some of the initial homework is dd though and it all could be though of as dd.

Clearer now? :smx6:

KyJoe

New Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
I like to make sure the area is good around what ever property. It's good to really look at the neighboring properties, what you see is pretty much how it will be. I make sure to look around at night. Try to find out how much money other buildings in the area are selling for, not just the asking price. Look in the paper and find out what the rents are.

Sponsored Offers

Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Text from today... Muhammad Ali said, "I hated every minute of training", but followed with...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
With 300+ students, the method and/or main sources of traffic don't saturate? Seems web design...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom