The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What business would you buy/start in a developing country to generate income?

iAmAttila

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Aug 6, 2014
What business would you buy in a developing country to generate income?

Real estate, and financial products are out of the question because I want more than a 3-5% Yearly ROI. Been thinking of buying a business - but not sure what type of business to buy.

The country I live in is overloaded with factory style workers who can be trained to do manufacturing/factory style work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Learner Guy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 10, 2015
Need to know a bit more about the country eg what sort of 'developing', what are the key risks, stability etc?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Too much, lots of developing countries' middle class is shifting from the phrase where they dislike low quality, high quantity mass produced stuff, it is going to be a demand on higher quality stuff in a few years. For example, in China, their middle class organized travel parties to Japan, not to actually sightseeing, but to buy....wait for it....toilet seat covers! Because the ones they are sold in China have so much quality problems, they prefer to buy the one that's being sold in Japan. In a matter of few days they raided all of Tokyo's home improvement stores and suddenly they were out of toilet seat covers...this is just one example of what's very simple is going to meet high demand in a few years.

Learner Guy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 10, 2015
I don't have a handle on Serbia's level of prosperity, but I imagine capital is relatively limited there? If so, there are probably lots of opportunities to finance other people in their businesses e.g. bankroll them for a 20-50% stake. If I were investing there I'd want a good return from the outset (i.e. no 'long-term bets') and probably to consider a business in which a reasonably small amount of money would still represent a barrier to entry. Sorry, don't have any more specific suggestions. There may be many businesses in which the return is much higher than the comparable business in other economies, for the reason of the barriers to entry.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Some countries take massive capital and infrastructure such as Africa
where investors setup labour camps sleeping quarters, armed security
and operate on huge margins to negate risk.

Then you have places that are filled with "cheap opps" like say vietnam
but corruption could take you out numerous cases are there where investors have taken on partners only to be booted out of the partnership once things got going.

Lots of these opps are more than what meets the eye esp in countries where you can disappear without a peep.

What'd I buy?

Not a fan of real estate but manufacturing/exports is where I would put my money as long
the market exists ofcourse.

MikeAU

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 24, 2014
Brisbane
I had a conversation recently with a few guys from Africa and apparently there is no one selling sex toys to the African community. Now I can't tell you if there is a big demand for this kind of thing but my friends seem to tell me otherwise.

Boutique store. Product that makes people happy. Need (potentially). Good times?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MikeAU

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 24, 2014
Brisbane
These guys have talked about opening a store for the past year and they have no business knowledge or drive to get this idea anywhere so there could be potential

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smoove001

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 24, 2013
No one can give you an answer to this question, trust me I've been there.
All I can tell you is go find a service/product that can help solve a problem for an industry/group of people.

iAmAttila

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Aug 6, 2014
I bought a building next to a school thats on the main artery road here. Busy intersection. Going to open a fornetti franchise as it buy in is only 4 figures. Got the real estate for 50% less than street value so already in the positive but hoping this fornetti bet will pay of and bring above 10% yearly yield after all expenses.

Might have to make a follow along for this one.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
but I had a conversation recently with a few guys from Africa and apparently there is no one selling personal products (sex toys) to African people

Why would selling sex toys to Africans be any different than selling sex toys to anyone else? A fleshlight's a fleshlight. A dildo's a dildo.

Unless you're talking about opening a store where there isn't one ... in which case: is there even a demand? Africans are having a lot more sex than us (according to fertility rates). Do the really need a toy in place of the real thing? And if they do, do they have the money?

Seems like a messy business to get into.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Look into buying farmland in Serbia. Upon Serbia's ascension into the European Union, the value of that farmland will skyrocket.

The EU subsidizes a lot of agricultural projects. For example: they're paying EU members to plant forests on their land. The returns on that are a minimum of 7% a year.

Assuming that the land value is a fourth of that in other European countries, you're effectively setting up for a minimum of a 28% annual return upon ascension. On top of that, you benefit from normal appreciation on the land.

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
What do countries need?

Infrastructure.

Water, electricity, construction, roads, transportation, secure transportation of goods.... Get the point? Fill the need. Make the $.

young rebel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 4, 2019
You basically need to copycat developed countries ideas.eg flipkart and ola in India are exact copycat of amazone and uber.

Copycat and execute.

Sent from my Redmi Y1 Lite using Tapatalk

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Why would selling sex toys to Africans be any different than selling sex toys to anyone else? A fleshlight's a fleshlight. A dildo's a dildo.

Unless you're talking about opening a store where there isn't one ... in which case: is there even a demand? Africans are having a lot more sex than us (according to fertility rates). Do the really need a toy in place of the real thing? And if they do, do they have the money?

Seems like a messy business to get into.
I wrote an affiliate article for a client on sex dolls. One of the top keywords that showed up during my initial research was something to the effect of "How much does a real doll cost in Nigeria."

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
The same the Chinese are doing in Africa, managing clean water and terraforming deserts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.