The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your chances of succeeding with these types of investments?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

bigleague

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 10, 2014
New York
I am 22, and am new to investing and I need wisdom, on what paths are wisest to take.

I am currently involved in investing passively at Vanguard with the S&P 500 index fund. I am wondering if I am making a mistake by doing this?

What are your chances of succeeding with these types of investments:

-Passive investing (stock and bond index funds)
-vs Active Investing
-Becoming a Fund Manager
-Futures
-Options
-Forex Trading
-Stock Trading
-Penny Stocks
-Investing in National and Foreign Currencies
-Investing In Commodities (Especially Gold, Platinum and Silver)
-Investing in Bonds (Treasuries, Municipal Bonds, Corporate Bonds)

Or should I just skip investing in most of these, go with passive investing, and then start doing an online business?

Stick the proceeds into a low cost index fund and know that over any 10 year period you will a) beat 80% of all actively managed fund b) know that over 10 year periods the market has recovered from a bear market decline. Don't gamble with your hard earned income, an index fund will perform well over time 8% avg.

Spend your time, resources, and capital building perpetual income through business(s) and fund that index fund.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
So the question is, what am I going to do NOW?!!

1.) Read the book again
2.) Take your employer match on your 401k if you have one until the book sinks in. This is free money, take it.
3.) If you have excess money, put it in a Vanguard Roth IRA ($5500 max per year). You can take out the principle on this penalty free and use it as an emergency fund or transfer it to a self directed IRA later.
4.) Read the book again and fight tooth and nail to get out of the rat race and live your life.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Scott,
Make up your own mind and try something. DO. Take a small portion of your funds and divide it into a couple of these paths 'others' have suggested. The education you get doing it on your own will be invaluable for you to eventually make your OWN mind up for a path that works for you.

If you do not currently have funds, find one of the 'hustle' threads on here and work until you have a few $x,000 to use. Read. Study. And while you are doing that.... DO. Take action! Do something! You will not get where you want to go by sitting still and waiting for someone to tell you what to do.

---------------
For a lot of those that replied, I think we have to remember that Scott is probably a part of the 'crowdsourced' generation. Decisions are made based on reviews, what others online say to do, etc. They never have had to step foot out on their own as there is always someone who has done it, blogged about it, and written a 10 step plan for how to do it. Without that step by step 'map', many are lost as to what to do.
---------------

Back to Scott, gather $5000 for investing. Research and determine 3 possible investments / businesses / paths to take. Post the math here on each path. Then you will get some really solid advice.

Do!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.