The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WHAT ARE YOU "WHY'S"?

Anything related to matters of the mind

InfinityStones

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 6, 2019
In Millionaire Fastlane , MJ talks about the difference between "doing what you love" and "doing what you passionate about".

I love business - thats why I own 4 different businesses. My passion is solving market needs.

However, I am still to make a formal written list of "why's".

I know that I am not materially driven (dont care much for cars). I am freedom driven (my time is most valuable).

Could you share some of your "why's"? Are they all material?

Your perspective may give me a better understanding of this topic and is much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm right there with you. I love business.

I am fascinated by how Marcus on "The Profit" TV show can come in and optimize ANY business. I fully believe that if you truly understand business, you can run any business well - and Marcus is the epitome of what I consider an expert to be, in doing just that. He is a role model and hero in my book. I could see doing what he does - if I was at his level of expertise (which I am certainly not).

My whys are to have multiple paychecks from multiple business ventures so I am secure and can do what I truly love to do. I don't want to be dependent on one business, so we are on the same page there.

I have a long long list of things to do. Not all hedonistic pleasure pursuits, for sure. I have some instruments I want to learn to play, learn another language or two, and launch a few inventions I am working on. I have taken to mentoring a 20-year-old young man that shows great promise, and I could certainly spend a lot of time helping people like that too. I could live 100 more years and never get bored. So much to do - so much to learn - so little time. I can litterally learn things ten times faster using the power of the internet, than when I "started" out; having to dig every piece of information out of a gravel pit - using a spoon. I hate that my feeble mind and body can't keep up with my list of things I am working on.

I also am very cognizant of time and do NOT want to look back on my life and wish I had spent more time with the people I love. Time is short - and irreplaceable. I set goals every day so I keep moving forward. I know that when I die, however, my list of things to do will still be very long. I can't fathom people that are retired and bored.

Random sputterings. Hope that helped (?)

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Beside selfish reasons , like buying a Lambo and travelling the world, I think my biggest Why is this:

Prove those who doubted me wrong (parents, especially)

InfinityStones

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 6, 2019
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the feedback, especially from @realdealdenver.

I am 29 years old and lived without a "job" for the past 14 months. I wake up without an alarm and have no boss to report to.

During the day, I usually focus on "how can I grow my four businesses" (also a Lawyer and sometimes take the odd case).

I dont want to lose my fire. Hence the topic of what does "WHY" mean to you?
How do we sustain the "WHY"?

If its about proving others wrong, I feel thats a race we can never win because getting the approval of others is something we cannot control.

P.S also watch SHARK TANK and THE PROFIT religiously!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have many but just this one should be enough for anyone I reckon.

Why do you want to let someone else dictate your worth in the form of a fixed salary?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Beside selfish reasons , like buying a Lambo and travelling the world, I think my biggest Why is this:

This. Fulfilling my own potential in life and making sure those that doubted me or treated me bad see me succeed. Petty but I don't care it drives the shit out of me.

InfinityStones

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 6, 2019
Interesting.

I believe having an "enemy" is an important psychological edge.

Enemies can be past bullies.

Personally, my "enemies" are are my industry competitors. That could be used as fuel.

My real question then is: WHY GO INTO BUSINESS?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This. Fulfilling my own potential in life and making sure those that doubted me or treated me bad see me succeed. Petty but I don't care it drives the shit out of me.

Drop it. I'm an expert on being petty. You'll never achieve full satisfaction. The energy you spend on it will only sap the energy you could be using for other things.

I waited over 20 flipping years for a compliment from several people. I deserved the compliment. I paid for it in blood. I never got it. Then I gave up. Who cares? It took a lot to reach that point. I was so much happier when I did. Then my wife received the supreme compliment about me from these people. Doesn't matter what it was, but it almost floored me when she told me. I couldn't believe it.

Then I told her that I left that part of my life in the dust a long time ago, and it was all but dead. I took the valuable nuggets I gained, and never looked back. I suspect my former co-workers gave up on me pursuing them for "approval" and just threw in the towel so they could feel better about themselves. Yeah, I'm petty too when I analyze people's motives. I did not respond back to them. It doesn't matter. I am more than triple the person I was back then - so much smarter, so much more successful - so much stronger. So - who cares about them and the respect I was denied? Life goes on.

I have new giants that I admire now. I have new plans. I CHOOSE to not waste one more second of my life thinking about how I wish I could have "showed them" my success. They. Don't. Matter.

The sooner you get to this point, the sooner you will feel better. Drop the losers. Let them wonder what happened - let them reminisce. Move on and be successful.

One more very tasty juicy little tid-bit. My ex-wife once told me that she can only imagine the hell my current wife is going through by being married to me. Rather than challenge or argue that, I said to her - "Was there ever just ONE good day you had during our marriage?" That put the "blame" or "guilt" on her. I deflected her insult like a speck of dirt, and I could tell she didn't like it. The best satisfaction is moving on and not caring one whit about the past.

Pick the pickiest person you can to try and please and work on that. For me, that person is; me. I have more than enough to do to keep up with my self-imposed standards. LOL.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
In Millionaire Fastlane , MJ talks about the difference between "doing what you love" and "doing what you passionate about".

I love business - thats why I own 4 different businesses. My passion is solving market needs.

However, I am still to make a formal written list of "why's".

I know that I am not materially driven (dont care much for cars). I am freedom driven (my time is most valuable).

Could you share some of your "why's"? Are they all material?

Your perspective may give me a better understanding of this topic and is much appreciated.
There are many aspects for an individual and I try to analyze myself as objectively as possible.

One obvious factor is financial freedom so that you can truly do what you like.

I hate corporate dead end jobs (worked in a bank before). But I also didn't excel in business. I tried an import distribution business and it didn't work out. I also started to know myself better. Most business are “too open ended” for me. I prefer to do things with a specific direction and a specific guideline. I look back at things I excelled in: grades in school, team sports and military service.

Eventually I moved into my present role: a self-employed salesperson distributing financial products. My results are fairly well and money starts to come in. This is finally where I gained back my confidence as someone who can survive and thrive in the real world outside artificial environment like school and army. Sales is perfect because it has a masculine business culture just like the army. And every month you have a report card just like you had examination in school. Getting top of the class is a perfect feeling.

I think one of my flaw is that I need constant validation from outside that I am “performing”. This made me a bad candidate for most scalable business that require prolonged investment of time and effort without any positive feedback in the short-run.

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
I want to be free. I don't like having to rely on my resume or employers to keep me alive. My brain is powerful enough to create something that makes me money on it's own.

So ultimately, it's about freedom. Freedom to travel, eat whatever I want, go to whatever gym I want, buy myself nice furniture and tech, buy whatever clothes I want, drive what I want, be able to provide for my future spouse and not have to worry. It's freedom that drives me.

fede85md

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 18, 2019
Great! I think about what you write and it reminds me of the "7levels deep" test I read from Dean Graziosi´s book ( millionaire success habits). First you ask yourself what do you want to accomplish? Then you keep asking yourself 7 times "Why" is it important to you. It´s a cool exercise to understand really why we want things. One of my personal "whys" after this test was to take my parents for a trip they talked about when I was 7 years old. they never went because of a lack of money. So for me and for much people, I think its " yeah I want more money" but "why" is it important to you?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Drop it. I'm an expert on being petty. You'll never achieve full satisfaction. The energy you spend on it will only sap the energy you could be using for other things.

I waited over 20 flipping years for a compliment from several people. I deserved the compliment. I paid for it in blood. I never got it. Then I gave up. Who cares? It took a lot to reach that point. I was so much happier when I did. Then my wife received the supreme compliment about me from these people. Doesn't matter what it was, but it almost floored me when she told me. I couldn't believe it.

Then I told her that I left that part of my life in the dust a long time ago, and it was all but dead. I took the valuable nuggets I gained, and never looked back. I suspect my former co-workers gave up on me pursuing them for "approval" and just threw in the towel so they could feel better about themselves. Yeah, I'm petty too when I analyze people's motives. I did not respond back to them. It doesn't matter. I am more than triple the person I was back then - so much smarter, so much more successful - so much stronger. So - who cares about them and the respect I was denied? Life goes on.

I have new giants that I admire now. I have new plans. I CHOOSE to not waste one more second of my life thinking about how I wish I could have "showed them" my success. They. Don't. Matter.

The sooner you get to this point, the sooner you will feel better. Drop the losers. Let them wonder what happened - let them reminisce. Move on and be successful.

One more very tasty juicy little tid-bit. My ex-wife once told me that she can only imagine the hell my current wife is going through by being married to me. Rather than challenge or argue that, I said to her - "Was there ever just ONE good day you had during our marriage?" That put the "blame" or "guilt" on her. I deflected her insult like a speck of dirt, and I could tell she didn't like it. The best satisfaction is moving on and not caring one whit about the past.

Pick the pickiest person you can to try and please and work on that. For me, that person is; me. I have more than enough to do to keep up with my self-imposed standards. LOL.
I get what your saying and I agree. Let me paraphrase. I want to escape the "box" they put me in or label me as.

its more about defying odds and expectations people have of me. It’s me defining MYSELF. I create my own limits. Besides nothing fuels a workout like a breakup or someone I’m trying to punish for doing me wrong. It’s the fuel that keeps me up and dreaming. Everytime I’m lazy it’s a reminder that THEY are winning which gets me off my a$$.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Interesting.

I believe having an "enemy" is an important psychological edge.

My real question then is: WHY GO INTO BUSINESS?

having a common ennemy is the first reason " why " to maintain coherence in a group

capitalism: the common ennemy is " communist tyranny destroying everything "

communism: the common ennemy is the " capitalist tyranny destroying everything "

democrats : the ennemy is the republicans

republicans: the ennemy is the democrats

etc .

people should read " 1984 " by george orwell

JB92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 28, 2019

With you on that one. :thumbsup:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.