The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What am i thinking of?

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Well folks... Company i work for (car dealership) just sold to new ownership. Used to be owned by corporation and now its owned by father and son family business. Company hired me back in force but i'm thinking off quitting with no backup. I'm stupid to even thinking of doing this with no backup in place. I lost good friends and coworkers in transition and i feel bad. I know i need to move forward. I keep thinking i don't feel too comfortable though working with new people and ownership. They brought in most of thier work force that they know. The new people sounds dishonest in this field and not into helping people but help themselves.

I wanna get out and quit to move forward and devote my time all to building something (hope i do, do it). I know working for a JOB is not the only income generating there is. I also know (hopefully) that i will find something else (job) just in case im not successful on my plan?

Can you guys tell me what you think? Need help to see if it's right what im planning? I can float not to work for 2 months probably? We all know how fast money goes!

If you would please tell me if you have a JOB or Business and your advise. Appreciate it the help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Re: What am i thinking off?

Well, I suppose first off- what does your wife think about you not working for 2 months and/or trying to grow a business? ...Do you have any solid plans for a business (i.e. a business plan)?

If you are unhappy with your current job you could always: 1.switch jobs 2. apply to the fastlane mentors program 3. start a business if you have a plan.

Just some thoughts. Let us know what you decide!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think if you quit your job, you should have plan (before quitting)!

I know it is really hard to work for folks who put money over customers and employees. Greed doesn't wear well. I wish you strength in this hard time.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Talkintoy, some of the best knowledge I ever picked up was when companies I worked for went through big changes.

Someday, you may own a business with employees. USE this experience you have right now to learn about the transition. Don't be critical-- be proactive, and observe the process. See how you can make it a better experience for all involved, not just yourself.

Every time you see or experience something that you don't like, ask yourself, "How can I make this better?" I'm not talking about trying to change what the new management is doing-- I'm talking about changing something *inside you* that looks at things differently, and adapts.

And thrives.

I worked for 2 huge companies that went bankrupt. Both were the biggest independently owned chains in their respective industries. I learned a LOT from going through the process. The first I went down with the ship. The second, I got out when I saw the same signs, and knew there were no other options for them.

But through both, I had to adapt and change as the companies did. LOTS of management shake ups. Lots of other changes, too. It was hard, but WOW, did it help me do other things in the future.

After these 2 bankruptcy experiences, I joined a medium-sized chain (not as large as the earlier chains) just 6 months before a large corporate chain came into town. The corporate chain had a rep of putting ALL of the local chains out of business within 2 years.

The medium sized chain survived. And thrived.

All because they dealt with the incursion differently than the previous companies I'd worked for.

What I learned during that transition has been extraordinarily helpful in dealing w/competition, and how to go through big changes successfully.

When we took over our B&B, several of the employees jumped ship right away. They couldn't handle the change-- and were afraid. Others stayed, and were richly rewarded.

Mmany people are afraid of change. They'd rather run away from change and the unknown than face it. So they quit something they know when new things are introduced b/c they feel uncomfortable and afraid of the new things.

But here's the irony:

Where does this take them?

On to looking for another job, where even *more* things are unknown!

More changes. More new things. WAY more.

My advice: Stick with it. Learn from this.

Look on it as advance training for buying and taking over your own business some day.

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Does your wife work?
Could you start doing something part-time meanwhile to start getting something going on?
You were at the B&P get-together, you know there are ways to get started and generate income, you heard it from the people that have done it.
Just hang in there and start making plan B happen.
This too shall pass, and in ten years you will look at this event as one of the things that happened in your life that made you better and put you on track to success.

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California

Well, I suppose first off- what does your wife think about you not working for 2 months and/or trying to grow a business?

I been trying to make her understand, but i'm not quite sure if she does know how i truly feel. I cried :nonod: for the first time because i felt lost not knowing what it is that i really want to do. It's like i know but howcome i dont act on it. <== See this sentence and words it's about FEAR. I preach and teach to friends and families but now i know it's time to do and prove my message.

...Do you have any solid plans for a business (i.e. a business plan)?

I do but not quite sure if it's the right thing to do? I'm sure if i knew it'll make it i would've done it. <== 2nd FEAR words. I want to be different, I want to be a creator.

I always thought this is the best time to do something. If i don't do anything now i will miss the biggest opportunity in my life. This is where the biggest BOOM industry on how you can make money. Music, Computers, Hi tech stuff, Internet, Clothing wear etc...

I do have something in mind that i want to work with. I thought it'll give me more time to do it when i quit since i can concentrate and work for myself now instead for someone.

If you are unhappy with your current job you could always: 1.switch jobs 2. apply to the fastlane mentors program 3. start a business if you have a plan.

I think this should be other way? 1. business 2. apply for mentorship and 3. switch jobs.:smxB:

Just some thoughts. Let us know what you decide!

60% to quit 40% to stay :smx8:

Thanks Yves!

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
I think if you quit your job, you should have plan (before quitting)!
I do have a plan but it's somewhat a bad plan. Quitting with no backup. :jiggy:

I know it is really hard to work for folks who put money over customers and employees. Greed doesn't wear well. I wish you strength in this hard time.
Thanks, i need it! :)

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Does your wife work?
That's another thing she doesn't at the moment.

Could you start doing something part-time meanwhile to start getting something going on?
There is no such thing as part time working for dealership. Don't know of any other i can work part time and earn enough to cover our expenses monthly. A lot had gone through divorce, separation because of this full working hours. Im afraid if i stick to JOB i will get sucked in again and not do my plans. Quitting i thought would be a great reason and opportunity to push myself and break my wall of FEAR?

You were at the B&P get-together, you know there are ways to get started and generate income, you heard it from the people that have done it.
Just hang in there and start making plan B happen.
This too shall pass, and in ten years you will look at this event as one of the things that happened in your life that made you better and put you on track to success.
Thanks Andviv.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

. I always thought this is the best time to do something. If i don't do anything now i will miss the biggest opportunity in my life. This is where the biggest BOOM industry on how you can make money. Music, Computers, Hi tech stuff, Internet, Clothing wear etc...
.:smxB:

Talkintoy, sorry to hear about your struggles. I understand that internal need to go your own way. I wish you the best while you work to sort this out. One thing I see in this quote above is desperation. From what I have seen there is always another deal just around the corner. I too used to feel like this was the "best and last" opportunity to do whatever. That kind of desperate thinking will cause you to make bad decisions and get you into a bad deal. There is always a new and different opportunity for tomorrow. I do hope you are patient and begin making some solid transition plans for your future. Good luck.:cheers:

+++speed for hanging in there during tough times.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Talkintoy,

TOUGH LOVE WARNING

Two things:

1. Many very successful businesses are started part time, as the owner uses their "real job" to pay the bills. I did this for *years* before going full time self employed. I would humbly suggest you consider doing the same. You have kids, right?

2. Making a decision to start your own business b/c you're having a hard time at your current job is about the *worst* reason I can think of to start a business. It's based on FEAR, RUNNING AWAY, and NOT SOLVING YOUR PROBLEMS.

Why not be the best salesperson you can be? And get your side business to the point where you're so busy (and making so much money), you need to quit your day job, b/c it's bringing in 4-8x as much as your J.O.B?

Nothing better than going out a the top.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
A quote that I learned when I was 20:

"There is no greater crime,
No greater treason-
Than to do the right thing
For all the wrong reasons."

This has become my mantra whenever I face tough choices.

-Russ H.

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Talkintoy, I can totally relate, I was in a similar position about this time last year. Because I had my hands full in my "free time" taking care of my kids, I chose to quit my job cold turkey and start a business. And I would have to agree with what the previous posters have said - don't let desperation be your motivator. At the time I felt I just had to get out, and that there was no way to start a business on the side due to lack to time. So I quit and started my business, but I did everything myself, I had not had any experience selling, and I wasn't able to get the business off the ground enough to meet my financial needs.

So based on my experience, here is my advice: take a deep breath, realize this is a tough time you will have to work with a little longer until you have a solid plan B, and start working on plan B. Right now I am reading an excellent book by Michael Masterson called "Ready, Fire, Aim" which I think you would find very relevant at this point as he recommends that you work on selling your product before doing the full-blown business startup. The quickest way to prove if a business will work is to answer the question "Can I sell the product?" As a salesperson, you'll probably appreciate this and be able to implement it better than most people. Also, if you haven't already read it, I highly recommend "The E-Myth" by Michael Gerber, an absolute must-read for any aspiring entrepreneur.

You can take action NOW by working on your plan and trying to sell your idea to see if it has real solid potential. But quitting your job without a solid plan in place is probably not the action you should be taking right now. But the work you put into plan B gets you that much closer to quitting!

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Hey dude,

I'm in sales too. I know the frustration. I just had an argument with my boss about how things should be done. But in the end "he's the boss" Yes I have a JOB.

So I just have to adapt and adjust.

The serenty prayer is my personal mantra when faced with tough choices.

(Insert personal deity)
Grant me serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And Wisdom to know the difference.

I'm working hard to develope my plan. My e book looks like it may generate enough income to replace my Job. So my spare time is spent writing and researching my topic and website sales execution.

The plan is in place.
A lot of times we think we can't move forward simply because we do not think we have all the details. I'm experiencing this right now with some writers block. I was sitting on the john yesterday wondering why I kept procrastinating writing my ebook. I had to ask myself "what is this all about?" "what action can I take Now?

I wanted to write the book from start to finish but I had a realization while answering a letter to one of my potential clients.

Me and this client had an exchange of letters. I wanted to post his letter on my website. when I copied it the emails were written to be read bottom to top but I wanted them top to bottom. So I began cutting and pasting the bottom letters to the top.

I then realized I could do the same thing for my book. The whole reason I could not write is because What i want to write about in the first chapter is NOT what i want to write about NOW. When I took a mini witing course they suggested not to worry about spelling and grammar until you were done writing. What they did not mention was not to worry about THE ORDER of the chapters. I can cut and paste it in the order of my choosing.

My suggestion is that you are thinking to far ahead. Define your goal and and take a small action step today. Make a one week plan then maybe a one month plan at most. The details wil start flowing soon after.
:cheers:

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Another mantra for FEAR...

If I got one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday I am pissing all over today!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, my question about your wife not working was intended as part of the solution. Is there any business-related idea she would like to work on? For example, she could start doing some eBay sells, or garage sells, or maybe open a day-care if she enjoys spending time with kids, help her get started in something that she likes. That should improve a little bit the family financials, but more important, she will start getting interested and more involved in the money aspect of your lifes.

Also, have you started looking for another job somewhere else?
Maybe a simple change like that could make a big difference in your life.
When I met you I could see you have the capability to do many things and understand the concepts. You can do this. But don't do it without planning.
I suggest, if I may, that you start looking for another job and, when you find it, give notice.
Then, once you have settle in the new job, start working every available minute in your idea.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Plan?

Did someone say PLAN? ;)

-Russ H.

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California

Talkintoy, sorry to hear about your struggles. I understand that internal need to go your own way. I wish you the best while you work to sort this out. One thing I see in this quote above is desperation. From what I have seen there is always another deal just around the corner. I too used to feel like this was the "best and last" opportunity to do whatever. That kind of desperate thinking will cause you to make bad decisions and get you into a bad deal. There is always a new and different opportunity for tomorrow. I do hope you are patient and begin making some solid transition plans for your future. Good luck.:cheers:
Thanks Greg... I think you might be right about desperation. I turned 35 this month and i think it's about this time most people starts to think more about thier life? It's hitting me pretty well...

M&T

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 2, 2007
Hershey, Pa.
" Most men lead lives of quiet desperation".
GO FOR IT!
Trump says" know all that you can about what you are doing".
You have to know what you really want to do or you will get to the tough times and ask yourself why am I doing this? If you don't have an answer you are in trouble. You need that plan and a good one.But do it...
M&T

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Hey dude,

I'm in sales too. I know the frustration. I just had an argument with my boss about how things should be done. But in the end "he's the boss" Yes I have a JOB.
I know it feels funny the first day i came in, it was like "Am i in the right store?" Just felt uncomfortable as most was new and owners walking around watching over you. I'm still trying to figure out how they want things handled as i did things differently in Internet sales department. Guess will have to find out soon. Maybe lots of :nono: lol... Thanks man!

M&T

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 2, 2007
Hershey, Pa.
I had a much longer version twice and it would not let me post. ???? This is the shorter version.
M&T

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Well, my question about your wife not working was intended as part of the solution. Is there any business-related idea she would like to work on? For example, she could start doing some eBay sells, or garage sells, or maybe open a day-care if she enjoys spending time with kids, help her get started in something that she likes. That should improve a little bit the family financials, but more important, she will start getting interested and more involved in the money aspect of your lifes.
Still working on her on this and make her understand. She learned pretty much of it somewhat but not quite there yet. She was adopted by her grandparents and she was spoiled when she grew up so... Most things about this are being learned from me pretty much.

Also, have you started looking for another job somewhere else?
Maybe a simple change like that could make a big difference in your life.
I thought about this. What's nice about this field (i guess) is you can get fired today and get hired tomorrow. Not that i have been fired before, but most everyone pretty much knows everyone in dealerships. Both managers that i worked with before wants me to come aboard with them on other dealership but other is like 45 minutes a way. Other has no salary like it used to be. New store General manager stated it'll be the same but i have not yet seen the pay plan paperwork. I feel like he will jack me up. :smx8:

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Thanks everyone for reply. I was hoping to get support on quitting. lol...:smash: Was looking forward to vacation and time for myself and family. Guess the main thing is to suck it up and hold tight while building something on side to help me get out someday. I've been trained all my life as a worker and it's a hard balance to do when you get sucked in again on your JOB working all the hours and be tired after work and no time to think of the plan again. :nonod: This made me think about the post i made awhile back on Why Y direction.

"No more time to plan. :nonod: Your mind is used by your work partially for hours since this is how your earn in exchange for your time, by time you get home you'll be tired making your plan or even forgot about it. Instead of making plan, research etc... 10 hours you'll only have 1 hour? since you have to work 8 or so hours? You'll eventually make it but it'll take more time 10 yrs? (LEFT unknown direction) versus 5yrs? (RIGHT known direction)".

My self poll turns quit to 40% and stay to 60%, unless i get fired for misbehavior! :boxing_smiley:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
If you really want that support for quitting then find that energy and time to make and implement that plan. You know you will have a tidal wave of support here when that happens. Honestly, what have you done since we met at B&P? If you keep doing what you're doing you're going to keep getting what you're getting. Work on that plan even if it's 30 minutes a day. Good luck.

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
If you really want that support for quitting then find that energy and time to make and implement that plan. You know you will have a tidal wave of support here when that happens.
I know i will... You guys have been great. :smxB:

Honestly, what have you done since we met at B&P? If you keep doing what you're doing you're going to keep getting what you're getting. Work on that plan even if it's 30 minutes a day. Good luck.
I understand... Just been saving for capital just in case and looking for new game to play. My credibility went in tank after my homes went to toilet. Just trying to regroup and make a plan on another action. :smxF:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
What's nice about this field (i guess) is you can get fired today and get hired tomorrow. Not that i have been fired before, but most everyone pretty much knows everyone in dealerships. Both managers that i worked with before wants me to come aboard with them on other dealership but other is like 45 minutes a way. Other has no salary like it used to be. New store General manager stated it'll be the same but i have not yet seen the pay plan paperwork. I feel like he will jack me up. :smx8:

hmmm I think you are looking only at your current field thus limiting your options. Isn't there anything else you could do and get paid for? Why do you have to keep working the same field? Aren't there any other alternatives? My original comment was about looking for something else to do, a start fresh with similar income, in another industry or market. Is that not possible?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Talkintoy, what do you do now? If I remember correctly, you said you run the Internet Sales department at a car dealership? Why not branch off into doing this on your own, then?

You could start by selling used cars via eBay or a site of your own. You could also work out some deals internationally involving exporting cars, which has become increasingly popular due to the declining dollar. Doing this domestically could also be more profitable than you'd think, especially because with the economy "struggling", people are looking more towards inferior goods (goods whose demand increases when income decreases -- i.e. used cars).

Just some food for thought! Good luck!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
TalkinToy,

Before you implement any of these wonderful suggestions,

(and they really are great suggestions)

YOU NEED A PLAN.

There really is a lot to the old adage:

"If you fail to PLAN,
You PLAN to FAIL."

-Russ H.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I have never been in such a situation, but have to absolutely agree with Russ that you need a plan. My parents raised me "old school," and I believe you have a responsibility to provide for your family. I have plenty of ideas about what I might change for my own life, but I need to put food on the table and provide a measure of stability and security for my wife and 6 kids.

There is nothing wrong with developing a business in your spare time while providing an income to support yourself and family. I would also recommend the book by Masterson, "Seven Years to Seven Figures". It certainly won't be easy working and developing a business, but nothing in life that is worthwhile ever comes easy. We watch Tiger win the US Open or Michael Jordan work his magic on the court, but we never see on TV the driving range every day for years or the extra practice in the gym when the rest of the team has gone home. There is natural talent for sure, but also a lot of hard work.

So, plan your work and work your plan. Best of luck to you in this tough time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.