The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What about the timeshare market?

verdoux

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2008
$outhwe$t
This may or may not apply as actual "real estate" per se, but I'm curious how others have seen the timeshare market affected by the housing problems and economic down-turn.

With deeded properties you have a lot of people trying to break free from contracts. A friend (well, a colleague...) of mine is actually trying to capitalize on this and go into the "Timeshare Relief" industry, you know -- the people you hire to get out a contract you can no longer afford. I don't know, though...the resort market seems different to me from the housing market. Most of the people I know with timeshares aren't ready to sell them QUITE yet, they've had them for so long.

Anyway, to put it another way, what IS the timeshare market? Real estate, luxury, etc?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
This may or may not apply as actual "real estate" per se, but I'm curious how others have seen the timeshare market affected by the housing problems and economic down-turn.

With deeded properties you have a lot of people trying to break free from contracts. A friend (well, a colleague...) of mine is actually trying to capitalize on this and go into the "Timeshare Relief" industry, you know -- the people you hire to get out a contract you can no longer afford. I don't know, though...the resort market seems different to me from the housing market. Most of the people I know with timeshares aren't ready to sell them QUITE yet, they've had them for so long.

Anyway, to put it another way, what IS the timeshare market? Real estate, luxury, etc?

As I have come to understand it, time share is when you buy something on time. It can be RE, cars, boats etc. You buy 10 hours, for example, for using that luxurius RE, car, boat or whatever and when 10 hours are up, you either leave it to the owner again or pay more money to use a couple of more hours. Time share in it's essence.

Many people confuse time share with fractional ownership. Fractional ownership is when you actually own part of something (RE, car, boat or whatever). You are on the deed so to speak.

verdoux

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2008
$outhwe$t
As I have come to understand it, time share is when you buy something on time. It can be RE, cars, boats etc. You buy 10 hours, for example, for using that luxurius RE, car, boat or whatever and when 10 hours are up, you either leave it to the owner again or pay more money to use a couple of more hours. Time share in it's essence.

Many people confuse time share with fractional ownership. Fractional ownership is when you actually own part of something (RE, car, boat or whatever). You are on the deed so to speak.

Good point. Here in the US, though, timeshare and fractional ownership are pretty much synonymous. Buying a "timeshare" immediately calls to mind a resort wherein the buyer is purchasing a deed for a certain number of weeks of use per year (there are different systems). Sorry about the semantics, but that's what I was referring to.

StreetsofSilver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 4, 2008
PA
Timeshares are real estate. In many states, to broker timeshares one must be a licensed real estate agent.

Just to clarify. Timeshares and fractional ownership are not the same thing. There are 2 types of timeshares. A timeshare estate is where the purchaser owns the property during a certain timeframe for an unlimited amount of time. Ex) You own a timeshare during the 2nd week of July forever until you sell your interest. A timeshare use is actually owned by the developer and allows a person to rent the condo for a limited time.

Fractional ownership refers to the common areas of a condo. For example, if the 10 unit condo that you own has a community pool, then you own 1/10 of the pool.

I just spoke to an agent the other day that said she was making a killing in the timeshare market. I'm not sure if that is true, but I am relaying what she told me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
From a Fastlane perspective, here is my take: You don't want to own a timeshare, you want to sell them. You don't want to buy them, you want to help liquidate them.

That said, go buy a $5 million dollar luxury house and Lake Tahoe and then sell timeshares against it.

Or, create a website to help the thousands of people trying to get rid of them.

As for owning one for purely rest and relaxation purposes, I've heard both good and bad stories.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
What is this, amateur hour? ;) hehe

Yes, Timeshares are officialy the worst investment on the planet, if you could even call them an investment. Like MJ said, you want to be on the selling side -- And it's not easy to sell them, which is why most timeshare companies spend 10's of thousand just to pamper you with enough goodies to get you to come in and see a presentation.

My GF owned a timeshare about 10 years ago, and we get junkmail almost every week from companies offering to buy it for pennies on the dollar, or provide relief, etc... So that idea is already out there in force, it would seem.

The thing about Timeshares that has always irked me is... Why would I pay $15,000 to own the deed, and then pay $700 per year in maint fees on top of that, so I could have 1 week a year at a place? (And it's got to be a special week, and all these BS conditions have to be met, etc) -- When I could just spend $700 and go get a hotel room anywhere I wanted at any given time. Example: My last trip to Cancun, we got an all inclusive deal at a 4 star resort including airfare for $750 each.

Hasta,

- Hakrjak :groove::groove::groove::groove::groove:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.