The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website feedback

Marketing, social media, advertising

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Hi there,
I'd deeply appreciate some advice on website design. I currently use Wix as I love having a drag and drop function. But it's rather limited and I understand that Wix then "owns" my content, etc. It also has long load times.
I did try WP before moving to Wix and thought I was going to drive myself bonkers trying to figure it out.
I'm willing to give WP another try though.
Ideally I'm looking to do the following:
  • Have different kinds of email signup funnels so that I can separate my various offerings by niche or content (Wix only has one per site)
  • Add as many websites as I like without paying extra for each (as with Wix)
  • I’d like to offer paid and free courses on my site (Learndash maybe? Or should I just post the free ones on Udemy?)
  • Offer instant paid or free downloads (free is easy on Wix but paid is a pain to set up)
  • Drag and drop feature or something easy enough to learn
  • Own my site content
  • Have a forum if I want one
  • Easy to add functions without adding tons of extra costs

I went with Wix as it seemed that I could just have an all-in-one but it turns out to be a bit limiting in practice.

It seems that WP can likely do all of this and I’ve heard Divi is a preferred choice.
Would love any recommendations that I don’t have to pay a ton for (Kajabi seems a bit high $ to start but maybe it’s worth it?)

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Interesting. Thanks @ApparentHorizon. I heard about Elementor too and I'll check it out!

Is Member Press one of Elementor's themes?
Or a completely different program?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Interesting. Thanks @ApparentHorizon. I heard about Elementor too and I'll check it out!

Is Member Press one of Elementor's themes?
Or a completely different program?

Member Press is a separate plugin giving users "social profiles." The forum addon to Member Press will get you where you need.

For the theme, go with Hello Elementor or Storefront if you're planning on using WooCommerce.

Look up the wordpress plugin directory for info.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
Couple things:

Firstly, with WordPress, anything you want is possible. Odds are, unless you're doing something highly niche technologically, someone's made a plugin. Elementor is a great visual builder as @ApparentHorizon pointed out (I'd not recommend Divi, though you'll probably see ads everywhere for it). Much of what you're looking for may require paid plugins, so keep that in mind.

With multiple sites, it's completely possible with WordPress. You'd just create multiple sites on the same host. Keep in mind that this will slow down each site, and if you're on most shared hosts (also known as the cheap hosts), that may not be a good idea.

Secondly, I ran across another site, Thinkific, the other day. It sounds very similar to what you're looking for out of the box. I don't have any experience with it and can't really comment as it if it works as well as advertised, but I'd recommend at least looking at it.

Thirdly, unless you want to build a stock website, almost anything is better than Wix. I wouldn't fret too much about it. Pick something and go for it, especially if you still need to validate the idea.

datagod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 29, 2019
As someone said, your best bet is 100% Wordpress with Elementor drag and drop builder.

But regarding membership site there are many things to consider, if you want to have membership access you could go with : Teachable, Kartra, Thinkific (my favourite is 3rd)

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
As someone said, your best bet is 100% Wordpress with Elementor drag and drop builder.

But regarding membership site there are many things to consider, if you want to have membership access you could go with : Teachable, Kartra, Thinkific (my favourite is 3rd)
Hey thanks!

From what I understand, I need to get WP and hosting together.
For this I need to go to Hostgator or similar, right?

Sorry everyone - I know that my questions are so very basic !!

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
Hey thanks!

In short, if you've decided to do WordPress, here's what you need to do:
  1. Find a host for WordPress (I recommend SiteGround, see below)
  2. The host will install WordPress for you (it's free)
  3. Figure out the exact functions your site will need
  4. Find the plugins/themes you will need
  5. If you want a drag-and-drop editor, make sure your theme is Elementor compatible.
Here are the best hosting services according to many forum members:

Couple pieces of terminology that I think will help out.

WordPress

WordPress is an open source software to create websites. On it's own, it mainly works best with blogs. You can change the design of the site with themes, and the functionality with plugins. Because over 1/3 of the internet runs on WordPress (the software), there are themes and plugins for almost everything you need. That's why I and several others here have recommended looking into WordPress.

WordPress is free, and you can download it from WordPress.org (you won't need to, though).

Hosting

Just because you have the software doesn't mean you have a website. You still need a server to serve your website. That's where hosting comes into play. When you buy hosting, you're buying a computer to run the software for you. Hostgater is one host you can use. I prefer SiteGround. Many hosts like Hostgater are extremely cheap, but the quality is comparable to the price—low. In my experience, Siteground gets you the best value for the price.

Most hosts won't require much if any technical knowledge to setup and use WordPress. Most even install WordPress for you.

Themes

Themes are styles for your WordPress site. There are free themes, and there are paid themes. Not all themes work for all uses.

Many hosts will upsell you with "premium themes." You don't need those (usually). WordPress has many free themes.

Plugins

Plugins are add-ons you can use to change the functionality of your site. Again, there are many free plugins, and many paid plugins.

Plugins include Storefront, Woocommerce, Member Press, etc.

Page Builders

When people are saying to use Elementor, they are telling you to use the plugin. Elementor is not a theme, and it's not a website software. It's a plugin for WordPress. There's a free version and paid version. Elementor lets you customize themes much easier, in a drag-and-drop fashion. Not all themes work with Elementor, so do some research.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Hey thanks!

Hostgator is a low quality host without much support.

I'd go for a managed WordPress host like WPX, 10Web or Kinsta

SCCLLC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 24, 2020
indiana
Hey thanks!

Ever since Hostgator and Bluehost were acquired from EIG company these Hosts went to sh1t STAY AWAY! Terrible service.
Siteground is a very good choice for hosting a WP site.
I use and would highly recommend the WP Theme: Newspaper by tagDiv

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Ever since Hostgator and Bluehost were acquired from EIG company these Hosts went to sh1t STAY AWAY! Terrible service.
Siteground is a very good choice for hosting a WP site.
I use and would highly recommend the WP Theme: Newspaper by tagDiv
Thanks I'll check it out :)

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Hostgator is a low quality host without much support.

I'd go for a managed WordPress host like WPX, 10Web or Kinsta
Thanks! I did try Hostgator back before Wix and it was the worst.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
In short, if you've decided to do WordPress, here's what you need to do:
  1. Find a host for WordPress (I recommend SiteGround, see below)
  2. The host will install WordPress for you (it's free)
  3. Figure out the exact functions your site will need
  4. Find the plugins/themes you will need
  5. If you want a drag-and-drop editor, make sure your theme is Elementor compatible.
Here are the best hosting services according to many forum members:

Couple pieces of terminology that I think will help out.

WordPress

WordPress is an open source software to create websites. On it's own, it mainly works best with blogs. You can change the design of the site with themes, and the functionality with plugins. Because over 1/3 of the internet runs on WordPress (the software), there are themes and plugins for almost everything you need. That's why I and several others here have recommended looking into WordPress.

WordPress is free, and you can download it from WordPress.org (you won't need to, though).

Hosting

Just because you have the software doesn't mean you have a website. You still need a server to serve your website. That's where hosting comes into play. When you buy hosting, you're buying a computer to run the software for you. Hostgater is one host you can use. I prefer SiteGround. Many hosts like Hostgater are extremely cheap, but the quality is comparable to the price—low. In my experience, Siteground gets you the best value for the price.

Most hosts won't require much if any technical knowledge to setup and use WordPress. Most even install WordPress for you.

Themes

Themes are styles for your WordPress site. There are free themes, and there are paid themes. Not all themes work for all uses.

Many hosts will upsell you with "premium themes." You don't need those (usually). WordPress has many free themes.

Plugins

Plugins are add-ons you can use to change the functionality of your site. Again, there are many free plugins, and many paid plugins.

Plugins include Storefront, Woocommerce, Member Press, etc.

Page Builders

When people are saying to use Elementor, they are telling you to use the plugin. Elementor is not a theme, and it's not a website software. It's a plugin for WordPress. There's a free version and paid version. Elementor lets you customize themes much easier, in a drag-and-drop fashion. Not all themes work with Elementor, so do some research.

WOW thank you SO much!!!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
After building websites, building funnels, advertising, and doing all sorts of other online marketing things for a few years I can safely say that it all takes effort and time to learn.

If your attitude is taking the easy way out so you can avoid taking the time to learn a platform, you're going to struggle.

Everything takes time and even Elementor requires a steep learning curve if you want to stray outside of templates. People think it's easier because you don't have to code, but you still have to click through multiple menus to do anything and often times you still need some code! Sometimes I think coding is easier... It's certainly faster a lot of times.

I recommend settling in for the long haul and taking the time to figure things out right. You'll do well to pick some tools and stick with them. They all do the same stuff just in different ways.

I use Elementor with GeneratePress theme. Activecampaign for email marketing. Gravity forms plugin for forms. WpRocket for speed and SEOpress for SEO. There's also Cartflows plugin if you want to make your WordPress site into a Clickfunnels.

Good luck!

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
Here is my recipe for nice, clean, $0 website (except hosting) :
wordpress + elementor (free) + astra theme (free) + astras tarter sites (free)

datagod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 29, 2019
Hey thanks!

A little late reply :) as someone said Siteground, I do higly recommend it too. (plus they've got amazing support).

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
If your attitude is taking the easy way out so you can avoid taking the time to learn a platform, you're going to struggle.

Good luck!

Thank you SO much for this!
I'm not afraid of hard work - and believe me, nothing I've done is easy or overnight.

My novel launching in the spring took me 20 years to write. I spend at least 5-10 hours a week working on my website. And when I'm not with my family, most of my time is spent working on my business. :)

I thought using Wix would make things slightly easier so I could spend more time on the business but that's not really what happened!

@GoodluckChuck and @datagod I'm going to look into your recommendations - thanks again!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.