The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Feedback - Fishing Related

Idea threads

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Hi there,

I have recently started up a small online fishing business in Australia. Our main channel of marketing will be creating content for YouTube and Instagram featuring our products in action. It is still really early stages still but I am just looking for some feedback on what I could improve on or just any tips you guys have that could help me moving forward.

I currently have 1 product, waiting on delivery from 3 more products all up including lures, apparel, extra accessories.

Also looking for any tips for SEO as I have done little to begin with and get started, mainly just changing the titles of the webpages etc.. Still a massive learning curve for me so any information can help.

Link to the website:
www.saltlab.shop

Will appreciate anything :)
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hi there,

I have recently started up a small online fishing business in Australia. Our main channel of marketing will be creating content for YouTube and Instagram featuring our products in action. It is still really early stages still but I am just looking for some feedback on what I could improve on or just any tips you guys have that could help me moving forward.

I currently have 1 product, waiting on delivery from 3 more products all up including lures, apparel, extra accessories.

Also looking for any tips for SEO as I have done little to begin with and get started, mainly just changing the titles of the webpages etc.. Still a massive learning curve for me so any information can help.

Link to the website:
www.saltlab.shop

Will appreciate anything :)
Thanks
Hey man I'm happy to give you some pointers. Keep in mind though even if you take all these suggestions onboard much not change from a revenue point of view (this is just in my experience).

1) Home page banner image is too big and low quality.
2) The popup is a bit annoying, there's no need for it when I can just scroll down and see the item there
3) In the banner image it doesn't say what you guys sell, there should be a headline or something there. Here is a good example for some inspiration: Meet BlendJet® - The Next-Gen Blender
4) Just a small thing but the phone number on the bottom, space it out to make it easier for customers to read
5) Is it just me or is the footer text small and the font is bad as it's too thin?
6) Product page doesn't have much information. I'm no pro on fishing but I assume it's just some kind of lure?
7) On the product page, I'm not a fan of the first image especially with the text there, I'd get a professional photo of it in use, maybe a close up image? But make sure the background is water so it's in its natural environment
8) The product description is way too short, and doesn't really sell me onto the product. Or I could be wrong here, could just be a really simple product that doesn't need much explaining like a necklace for example.
9) Should have information on shipping times and where it ships from, even a money back guarantee, you can include it as 3 icons that go vertically under the add to cart button
10) Rename 'style' to 'colour' as that's a colour selection it looks like.
11) Can this sort of lure be bought in your local fishing shop or on Amazon? If so, you're going to have a brutal time selling it.

Hope this helps.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Hi,

This is a saturated market trust me I tried it. Take a look at eBay or Googles ADS and you will see what I mean. What can you offer that your competitors do not?

If it's your own product then at least you are unique.

I sell branded lures ( not Aliexpress or Alibabba ) and fishing tackle etc on my eBay stores

fishingtackleclearancesale on eBay
bestbargainsstore on eBay

I used to sell on my own website but marketing costs Google PPC is a heavy hitter!

I just sell these lures and fishing tackle for 'Pin' money on the side.

Plus I am a avid fishermen so I get my fishing tackle at cost price!

I have been doing eCommerce for 6 years and leant every mistake that cost me financially I have two Shopify stores that sell my own products and believe me it's easier than selling everybody elses stuff! You still have to market and the other things.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Screenshot_20220125-082030_Chrome.jpg

Okay, just some design things I noticed:

See how awful the black looks on the picture? I can hardly see the menu icon.

The social icons need more negative space around them. Insta logo too close to that guy's hair.

Consider adding socials along the top, or just under the fold perhaps. Maybe make the icons white or create some kind of a banner to give them contrast against the background. Hell even a white outline would do wonders.

Also I don't think this picture works that well in general. Seems like a couple of young college dudes went on a fishing trip and decided to sell lures. It needs something more cohesive to the overall brand.

Just a few quick things I noticed. Good luck!

Last edited:

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Maybe something like this:

Try putting "log in" behind the hamburger menu or the shopping cart for a cleaner look... try a persistent banner at the top with all relevant info. Idk just something quick I mocked up

Then you can ditch the "college buddies' fishing trip" photo and put something actually useful like sales copy or deal promos ABOVE the fold. I shouldnt have to scroll all the way down just to see what to care about.

Also... not too sure about putting a hashtag in your logo itself BUT it doesnt seem like a horrible idea. Then again, unless your entire business is built around insta im not sure what a hashtag IN the logo can offer you that a "our instagram page #keepcasting" popup or specific social media page, or even just mentioning it above the fold, cannot.
Screenshot_20220125-084451_Gallery.jpg

Also, you're gonna want a .com ASAP. like, before you do anything else. A .com is so important. Some think you shouldn't even pick a name until you know you can secure it as JUST yourbusinessname.com, no, yourbusinessnameshopcompany.com, or ybn.com, JUST your business name. Easier for people to remember

EDIT: desktop version looks SO much better. still don't like the photo but, I can think of worse offenses. Great work so far though man, keep it up. Adaptive web design is a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You got great feedback above.

Overall I would change the whole page.

If you have only one thing to sell then you might as well optimize for that right now.

I would have the whole first-page breakdown what your product is, how it helps, why it's better than xyz, and so on.

Sell it way harder - right now it's just some basic info and there is not much content to build up and create the sale.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 17.54.48.png
Remove all this other stuff - if you don't have it then don't even mention it for now.

Read Influence and use all 6 persuasion tools to make this way more sellable.

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Hey man I'm happy to give you some pointers. Keep in mind though even if you take all these suggestions onboard much not change from a revenue point of view (this is just in my experience).

1) Home page banner image is too big and low quality.
2) The popup is a bit annoying, there's no need for it when I can just scroll down and see the item there
3) In the banner image it doesn't say what you guys sell, there should be a headline or something there. Here is a good example for some inspiration: Meet BlendJet® - The Next-Gen Blender
4) Just a small thing but the phone number on the bottom, space it out to make it easier for customers to read
5) Is it just me or is the footer text small and the font is bad as it's too thin?
6) Product page doesn't have much information. I'm no pro on fishing but I assume it's just some kind of lure?
7) On the product page, I'm not a fan of the first image especially with the text there, I'd get a professional photo of it in use, maybe a close up image? But make sure the background is water so it's in its natural environment
8) The product description is way too short, and doesn't really sell me onto the product. Or I could be wrong here, could just be a really simple product that doesn't need much explaining like a necklace for example.
9) Should have information on shipping times and where it ships from, even a money back guarantee, you can include it as 3 icons that go vertically under the add to cart button
10) Rename 'style' to 'colour' as that's a colour selection it looks like.
11) Can this sort of lure be bought in your local fishing shop or on Amazon? If so, you're going to have a brutal time selling it.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the in-depth feedback. I have changed up most of the stuff you spoke about. Thanks :)

Maybe something like this:

Try putting "log in" behind the hamburger menu or the shopping cart for a cleaner look... try a persistent banner at the top with all relevant info. Idk just something quick I mocked up

Then you can ditch the "college buddies' fishing trip" photo and put something actually useful like sales copy or deal promos ABOVE the fold. I shouldnt have to scroll all the way down just to see what to care about.

Also... not too sure about putting a hashtag in your logo itself BUT it doesnt seem like a horrible idea. Then again, unless your entire business is built around insta im not sure what a hashtag IN the logo can offer you that a "our instagram page #keepcasting" popup or specific social media page, or even just mentioning it above the fold, cannot.
View attachment 41779

Also, you're gonna want a .com ASAP. like, before you do anything else. A .com is so important. Some think you shouldn't even pick a name until you know you can secure it as JUST yourbusinessname.com, no, yourbusinessnameshopcompany.com, or ybn.com, JUST your business name. Easier for people to remember

EDIT: desktop version looks SO much better. still don't like the photo but, I can think of worse offenses. Great work so far though man, keep it up. Adaptive web design is a pain in the butt.

Thanks! I changed it up similar to what you designed in the mock up and it looks way more professional. Really appreciate the feedback.

You got great feedback above.

Overall I would change the whole page.

If you have only one thing to sell then you might as well optimize for that right now.

I would have the whole first-page breakdown what your product is, how it helps, why it's better than xyz, and so on.

Sell it way harder - right now it's just some basic info and there is not much content to build up and create the sale.

View attachment 41782
Remove all this other stuff - if you don't have it then don't even mention it for now.

Read Influence and use all 6 persuasion tools to make this way more sellable.

Thanks for the help. I deleted the other stuff and am slowly making deals etc.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Appreciate the in-depth feedback. I have changed up most of the stuff you spoke about. Thanks :)

Thanks! I changed it up similar to what you designed in the mock up and it looks way more professional. Really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the help. I deleted the other stuff and am slowly making deals etc.
No problem, happy to help anytime! Your website is looking much better already!

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Wow, AMAZING improvements. You're gonna kill it man, keep it up! Happy to help

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
I have updated the website a tonne in the last week since I last posted on this thread. If anyone is interested in giving me more feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

I started running an Instagram Ad yesterday and it produced my very first sale ever for me! I am really happy as I been working really hard to get to this point. Anyway, would really appreciate anymore tips you guys could give me.
Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.