The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wasted the past 6 months of my life. Now it’s time to change.

TastyCookies

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Aug 8, 2022
Hello all,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for almost 2 months now, and I’ve decided that now’s the time to say a little bit about myself and why I’m here.

I’m currently a year away from graduating from a very prestigious high school, one of the top ones in my area. If I follow the normal, scripted route that my parents/friends/teachers are all advocating for, I should apply for a well-renowned university, pursue a degree for a couple years, get a high-paying job, get married, and live happily ever after. However, I’ve got other plans.

-

When I first stumbled upon The Millionaire Fastlane (I did not just stumble, the way I found this book is actually a long story), I was like “man, I’m broke (cuz I spent my live savings on gadgets), not the smartest kid at school anymore, let me see this millionaire thing. Being rich doesn’t sound like a bad idea.” So, I opened the book and was immediately hooked. I saw the quote “to make millions, you don’t need rich parents or luck. You need to the knowledge to make those millions” and was like “Is that true????” I’ve always thought being rich was for the elites, a nobody like me can never be rich. But this book is suggesting otherwise! So when I saw that, in addition to the other testimonials, I started reading immediately.

A long time ago, way before I discovered TMF , I looked up “how to make money as a teenager.” I guarantee every teenager has done this. Anyways, the answers always were “invest in the stock market!” or “do these surveys 100 times and you’ll make money!” I always thought these pieces of advice were complete BS, no way I can get rich from those, but it was the only stuff I saw, so I thought it was the only way. So, when I discovered a book that didn’t have this garbage but actually contained useful pieces of advice that I can actually apply in my life, I was amazed.

I have a lot of programming knowledge for my age, and I’ve always wondered where I can apply this knowledge. When I realized I can use this knowledge to create software that can help people, I was excited. I always thought entrepreneurship was for people with a lot of money to spend or people with expensive business degrees. However, when I realized that none of that was true (or rather, MJ taught me how it’s not true), I felt like I was open to a whole new world.

It took me a whole month to finish the book, but it was well worth it. It took me a while because I did not rush it, I made sure I understood exactly what was being said. When I finished I felt like I was someone different. It was the first time I verbally said “Wow” to something. Thank you MJ for writing such a great book. Really, I mean it.

However, all of this excitement would be cut short very quickly. I was surrounded with tests, assignments, and projects from school and I couldn’t manage my time properly, so I always used school as an excuse not to do anything Fastlane related. Months later, school was over and summer vacation started. I had no excuse now.

Nah, I continued to waste my time. Social media, games, terrible sleep schedule, what could possibly go wrong. A few weeks into the vacation, I decided to read MJ’s most recent book, The Great Rat-Race Escape. Maybe it will get me back on track. Again, another magnificent read, I could write another paragraph about this book, but I think we all know how good it is so I don’t have to explain. After I read it, I write my 1/5/10 Planasy, put it on my desk, and hoped for a change.

Nope, nothing happened. I was motivated for a couple days, entered a couple coding courses, organized my room, but I forgot the most important thing: I did not get rid of the distractions. Social media was still a click away and even though I kept deleting the apps, nothing was stopping me from entering the app store and downloading them again. I didn’t know what to do.

At this moment, I thought it would be a good idea to talk to my friend about the Fastlane. I did not tell him about the book directly, but I told him we can open a business and make millions and stuff like that, and to that he replied “bro you’ll never do it LOL, don’t even try” and “dude what’s the point of being rich anyways I just want to get a college degree and land a good job idc about this.” I was stunned by the reply. I told him about being financially free bla bla but he wouldn’t budge. I wish I never even started the conversation.

Now I know that MJ said in both of his books that there will always be people who will try to destroy your dreams, but I have a bad habit of taking everything seriously. Don’t worry I can detect sarcasm lol. I KNOW that what my friend said was not true and that I will do it someday, but it still really affected me.

This sent me in a cycle of dangerous thoughts. I was thinking about how there is no point in life if we’re all gonna die and why start a business to make pieces of paper called money, and in the middle of all this I had to study for an exam all high schoolers must take (this exam essentially decided whether you got into a good college, the higher your grade the better the college) and I used distractions such as social media as an escape. My mental health was deteriorating. It was one of the worst times in my life, and it lasted weeks.

Thankfully, it all calmed down eventually, and I started reading some of the advice on this forum, which really helped me. Thank you to every single person who contributed to this place, you are truly amazing. Anyways, I decided to re-read The Millionaire Fastlane as suggested by a member on this forum. This was very helpful to me and I got back on track. I’ve found a way to uninstall all social media apps without being being able to download them again, now with no distractions I have no excuse not to do anything.

Currently reading Unscripted , and now I’m applying an entrepreneurial mindset everywhere I can. I’m trying to find areas where I can create value, and places where I can make people’s lives better. I’ve already wrote down a few ideas, and now that I have all the resources imaginable, with minimal distractions, I can’t wait to get started.

This is a long thread I know, but I’ve been wanting to say this for over a year now. If anyone read all of this, I really appreciate it. Once again, thank you MJ, and thank you forum members.
~Tasty

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Hello all,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for almost 2 months now, and I’ve decided that now’s the time to say a little bit about myself and why I’m here.

I’m currently a year away from graduating from a very prestigious high school, one of the top ones in my area. If I follow the normal, scripted route that my parents/friends/teachers are all advocating for, I should apply for a well-renowned university, pursue a degree for a couple years, get a high-paying job, get married, and live happily ever after. However, I’ve got other plans.

-

When I first stumbled upon The Millionaire Fastlane (I did not just stumble, the way I found this book is actually a long story), I was like “man, I’m broke (cuz I spent my live savings on gadgets), not the smartest kid at school anymore, let me see this millionaire thing. Being rich doesn’t sound like a bad idea.” So, I opened the book and was immediately hooked. I saw the quote “to make millions, you don’t need rich parents or luck. You need to the knowledge to make those millions” and was like “Is that true????” I’ve always thought being rich was for the elites, a nobody like me can never be rich. But this book is suggesting otherwise! So when I saw that, in addition to the other testimonials, I started reading immediately.

A long time ago, way before I discovered TMF , I looked up “how to make money as a teenager.” I guarantee every teenager has done this. Anyways, the answers always were “invest in the stock market!” or “do these surveys 100 times and you’ll make money!” I always thought these pieces of advice were complete BS, no way I can get rich from those, but it was the only stuff I saw, so I thought it was the only way. So, when I discovered a book that didn’t have this garbage but actually contained useful pieces of advice that I can actually apply in my life, I was amazed.

I have a lot of programming knowledge for my age, and I’ve always wondered where I can apply this knowledge. When I realized I can use this knowledge to create software that can help people, I was excited. I always thought entrepreneurship was for people with a lot of money to spend or people with expensive business degrees. However, when I realized that none of that was true (or rather, MJ taught me how it’s not true), I felt like I was open to a whole new world.

It took me a whole month to finish the book, but it was well worth it. It took me a while because I did not rush it, I made sure I understood exactly what was being said. When I finished I felt like I was someone different. It was the first time I verbally said “Wow” to something. Thank you MJ for writing such a great book. Really, I mean it.

However, all of this excitement would be cut short very quickly. I was surrounded with tests, assignments, and projects from school and I couldn’t manage my time properly, so I always used school as an excuse not to do anything Fastlane related. Months later, school was over and summer vacation started. I had no excuse now.

Nah, I continued to waste my time. Social media, games, terrible sleep schedule, what could possibly go wrong. A few weeks into the vacation, I decided to read MJ’s most recent book, The Great Rat-Race Escape. Maybe it will get me back on track. Again, another magnificent read, I could write another paragraph about this book, but I think we all know how good it is so I don’t have to explain. After I read it, I write my 1/5/10 Planasy, put it on my desk, and hoped for a change.

Nope, nothing happened. I was motivated for a couple days, entered a couple coding courses, organized my room, but I forgot the most important thing: I did not get rid of the distractions. Social media was still a click away and even though I kept deleting the apps, nothing was stopping me from entering the app store and downloading them again. I didn’t know what to do.

At this moment, I thought it would be a good idea to talk to my friend about the Fastlane. I did not tell him about the book directly, but I told him we can open a business and make millions and stuff like that, and to that he replied “bro you’ll never do it LOL, don’t even try” and “dude what’s the point of being rich anyways I just want to get a college degree and land a good job idc about this.” I was stunned by the reply. I told him about being financially free bla bla but he wouldn’t budge. I wish I never even started the conversation.

Now I know that MJ said in both of his books that there will always be people who will try to destroy your dreams, but I have a bad habit of taking everything seriously. Don’t worry I can detect sarcasm lol. I KNOW that what my friend said was not true and that I will do it someday, but it still really affected me.

This sent me in a cycle of dangerous thoughts. I was thinking about how there is no point in life if we’re all gonna die and why start a business to make pieces of paper called money, and in the middle of all this I had to study for an exam all high schoolers must take (this exam essentially decided whether you got into a good college, the higher your grade the better the college) and I used distractions such as social media as an escape. My mental health was deteriorating. It was one of the worst times in my life, and it lasted weeks.

Thankfully, it all calmed down eventually, and I started reading some of the advice on this forum, which really helped me. Thank you to every single person who contributed to this place, you are truly amazing. Anyways, I decided to re-read The Millionaire Fastlane as suggested by a member on this forum. This was very helpful to me and I got back on track. I’ve found a way to uninstall all social media apps without being being able to download them again, now with no distractions I have no excuse not to do anything.

Currently reading Unscripted , and now I’m applying an entrepreneurial mindset everywhere I can. I’m trying to find areas where I can create value, and places where I can make people’s lives better. I’ve already wrote down a few ideas, and now that I have all the resources imaginable, with minimal distractions, I can’t wait to get started.

This is a long thread I know, but I’ve been wanting to say this for over a year now. If anyone read all of this, I really appreciate it. Once again, thank you MJ, and thank you forum members.
~Tasty
Great to have you on board!

I have a question: I might've missed that part, but where is your exact "why"? (why=the reason you're doing this).
You talked about bad habits like social media and going to university and stuff, but is that everything? Or did you just not emphasize how much you want to avoid that outcome?
Also, you said that you instantly got hooked by TMF . But then you didn't do anything.
Perhaps you were in love with the idea of being rich but not the process of becoming rich?
Only you can decide to step forward now (start), but if you once again don't or "action-fake", then maybe ask yourself these above questions.

I think the most important thing is to always keep going. So if you have an error or bad day, sleep, and come back the next day.

Good luck!

HyperA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 23, 2022
Hello all,

-

~Tasty
Nice to meet You!

I have a question. You've said, that You wasted 6 months of your life. You started reading, control your urges checking social media etc. How are you going to make it into process?

Good luck!

TastyCookies

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Aug 8, 2022
Great to have you on board!

I have a question: I might've missed that part, but where is your exact "why"? (why=the reason you're doing this).
You talked about bad habits like social media and going to university and stuff, but is that everything? Or did you just not emphasize how much you want to avoid that outcome?
Also, you said that you instantly got hooked by TMF . But then you didn't do anything.
Perhaps you were in love with the idea of being rich but not the process of becoming rich?
Only you can decide to step forward now (start), but if you once again don't or "action-fake", then maybe ask yourself these above questions.

I think the most important thing is to always keep going. So if you have an error or bad day, sleep, and come back the next day.

Good luck!
Oh yes, I’ve forgot to mention the most important part. One of the reasons I’m doing this is that I don’t like the idea of going to college for 5 years so I get to spend the rest of my life working for someone else. Is this really what I worked hard for?? Another part is college itself and how it works. There are literally people in my class preparing to enter “college prep programs” that are supposed to prepare them for college which is supposed to prepare you for a job. Can you imagine this insanity?!

The main reason is that I’m tired of looking for the cheapest when I’m buying stuff. I want to buy whatever I want, whenever I want, without anyone dictating how I spend my money.

I also hate alarm clocks with a passion, it’s literally a struggle everyday when I wake up for school. Imagine if I was forced to wake up to an alarm everyday until I die. Yeah no way.
Nice to meet You!

I have a question. You've said, that You wasted 6 months of your life. You started reading, control your urges checking social media etc. How are you going to make it into process?

Good luck!
I don’t really know yet, haven’t really made a plan for anything

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Welcome to the forum.

There are many reasons to attend university, even if you plan to become an entrepreneur and don't want a traditional 9-5 job. For one, you'll gain valuable knowledge and skills that will help you in your business ventures. You'll also learn how to network and build relationships, which can help find customers or partners for your business. And, if you attend a top university, you'll have the opportunity to meet and learn from some of the best minds in the world. All of these factors can give you a leg up when starting your own business.

The world is not fair, the way to win is to tap into your own unfair advantage. Create more advantages and odds of becoming successful entrepreneur go up too.

Many people on this forum have great education and great businesses. The experience, social aspect of it can be amazing. My gf (and since then wife) started numerous side hustles while at a university and were earning more than our classmates with part time jobs. University for me was full of parties, friends, study hacking (trying to study as little as possible and still get a good grade) and exploration. I had no money and yet I found ways to make it debt free when I was done.

Looking back, now that I have a RE Development company, I interact with highly sophisticated people and companies. Most people I meet are highly educated.

Food for thought...

The main reason is that I’m tired of looking for the cheapest when I’m buying stuff. I want to buy whatever I want, whenever I want, without anyone dictating how I spend my money.

Every person on this planet wants financial freedom. Just remember, there are many paths to get there and I hope you enjoy the process as much as the result. Success in itself is immensely rewarding!

Good luck.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I don’t really know yet, haven’t really made a plan for anything
I'd recommend you just starting out. It doesn't matter how small.
How about throwing 20 cents or more in a can every day? That's what MJ proposed as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro! Welcome to the forum, hope you stick to your plan. It isn't easy, but the reward is far worth anything you can imagine.

This is one of the things that I love and cannot be underestimated. That, and getting up out of bed when you feel right to do so.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Hello all,

-

A long time ago, way before I discovered TMF, I looked up “how to make money as a teenager.” I guarantee every teenager has done this. Anyways, the answers always were “invest in the stock market!” or “do these surveys 100 times and you’ll make money!” I always thought these pieces of advice were complete BS, no way I can get rich from those, but it was the only stuff I saw, so I thought it was the only way. So, when I discovered a book that didn’t have this garbage but actually contained useful pieces of advice that I can actually apply in my life, I was amazed.

~Tasty
it is us to thanks for sharing your storie. Thanks you et welcome to the board.

The_excalebars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 5, 2022
it is us to thanks for sharing your storie. Thanks you et welcome to the board.
bro honestly its amazing how your doing this for yourself and your clearly ahead of me rn, but i have a question after reading TMF what do you recomend im gunna look back at this comment later because shit. i dont even know if youll read this but who gives a F*ck anyways plz keep trying

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...