The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wanted: CPA in the DFW area.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My business is experiencing some growing pains and there are other changes in my life. I want to work with an aggressive CPA that knows Texas state laws, preferably in the DFW area. Anyone have a recommendation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Have you talked to Jill already? [jsut checking for the obvious]

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Have you talked to Jill already? [jsut checking for the obvious]

Yeah, I've asked her in the past with no results. Thanks for reminding me Andres.:cheers:

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Yeah, I've asked her in the past with no results. Thanks for reminding me Andres.:cheers:
Sorry about that, Greg. But remember! I'm the one who went thru a 16-month IRS audit, covering 3 years and both Corp and personal returns as a result of my last tax man. So I don't think you want any recommendations from me!! I'm looking for one myself! Lemme know what you find.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Sorry about that, Greg. But remember! I'm the one who went thru a 16-month IRS audit, covering 3 years and both Corp and personal returns as a result of my last tax man. So I don't think you want any recommendations from me!! I'm looking for one myself! Lemme know what you find.

No worries Jill. I thought I had found one near me. She was very familiar with DK stuff and seemed to be aggressive. But, alas, I guess it won't work out. So I'm back on the hunt. I hope all is well with you Jill.:cheers:

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
Greg,

try Sumrall & Bondy 972-233-2200 16633 Dallas PKWY Addison

I switched to them this year and actually got a return. Fist time in 4 years. The last CPA I used just didn't get it, I owed every year. They seem to understand real estate investors and if they don't have an answer they will call the IRS to find out. I was very happy with their service.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Just checking to see if you found the right tax preparer.

If not, my dad is familiar with all state returns and is both a CPA and EA which means he knows not only accounting, but taxes as well and it has been his specialty for the last 22yrs.

A common misconception is that CPA = taxes, when in reality the CPA exam only has a small portion on taxes(the rest are book-keeping, auditing, business law, etc) and CPAs are not required to take another tax course as part of their CPE.

An EA(enrolled agent) on the other hand, takes a comprehensive exam solely on taxes, much like the CPA exam.

So please keep this in mind. If you're interested my dad can also do Skype conferencing to meet with you and I'm hoping he can come out one of the evenings during the next B&P so we can assist fellow Fastlaners with their tax preparation and planning needs :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey Clint. Nope, haven't met the right person yet and now too busy to keep searching. It's really kinda a bummer. You are right, I had a CPA that just wanted to fill out the forms without any advice or creativity. I changed to a pretty good guy but he's in AZ and I'm in TX. The weak part with him is getting face time because he is good and too busy. After he got my business, all I get to talk to is his assistant. I have asked several times for phone conference without success.

I have met your dad and he's a nice guy. I think he also gets it. But that means he is busy too, which means same problem I have with current guy. I do like to meet face to face, eyeball to eyeball to see body language and to be able to read facial expressions.

I want to do some business and tax planning to make sure I am positioning and structuring things right as I grow. I also want to figure out a way that I can use this $2000 a month I pay for college tuition to my benefit instead of just blindly writing checks. The local CPA I interviewed had some good ideas on the surface but flaked out when I was ready to pull the trigger.

Not sure where I am now.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Greg,

try Sumrall & Bondy 972-233-2200 16633 Dallas PKWY Addison

I switched to them this year and actually got a return. Fist time in 4 years. The last CPA I used just didn't get it, I owed every year. They seem to understand real estate investors and if they don't have an answer they will call the IRS to find out. I was very happy with their service.

Thanks Rick. I for got all about this post. I'll see what they have to say over the next couple of weeks.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Greg- as far as face-time, Skype is a great option and while my dad is a busy guy, I can vouch that he handles all his clients personally and the only assistants you would deal with would be myself and Adi who are diligently learning the business and not just a typical assistant looking for a paycheck or experience.

With your tuition, first off is it for you or a child?

If it's for you, the 2 credits you might qualify for are Lifetime Learning Credit(maximum expenses are $10,000/yr and maximum credit is $2000/yr non-refundable- so if it takes your liability below $0, you don't get any back) OR Tuition and Fees Deduction(maximum of $4000/yr for qualified expenses)

The Lifetime Learning Credit would of course be more beneficial if you qualify as a $4000 deduction would provide anywhere from a $400 to $1400 benefit depending on your tax bracket(10%-35%).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.