The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wannabees vs. Entrepreneurs

wesrosstx

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Good stuff but I'm going to disagree on some.

"Wanna-be’s want more web traffic. Entrepreneurs focus on sales conversion."

I focused on expanding traffic first, then I focused on sale conversions. It paid off better to do it this way.

"
Wanna-be’s put off practicing basketball until they’ve got Air Jordan’s. Entrepreneurs practice barefoot behind the garage."

If you have a choice it is better to wait for those air jordans(or at least shoes!), If you go out without the minimum, your in for a world of hurt when someone steps on those toes...

Everything else is great, thanks for the post.

Elliott

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 18, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Good stuff but I'm going to disagree on some.

"Wanna-be’s want more web traffic. Entrepreneurs focus on sales conversion."

I focused on expanding traffic first, then I focused on sale conversions. It paid off better to do it this way.

"
Wanna-be’s put off practicing basketball until they’ve got Air Jordan’s. Entrepreneurs practice barefoot behind the garage."

If you have a choice it is better to wait for those air jordans(or at least shoes!), If you go out without the minimum, your in for a world of hurt when someone steps on those toes...

Everything else is great, thanks for the post.

The message that they're trying to get across with the first one is conversion. The wanna-be is focusing on the wrong thing. With advertising, the Entrepreneur could care less about the number of views, he wants the views to be converted into sales.

The second point is "boot strapping" - to be able to do well without something. If you can't get funding (or anything else) you find a way to get around it, or find a way to self fund. Wanna-bees pour over the details until they find something wrong, they point to it and say "See, now I can't do it." Its really hard to help them, too. You help them open one door and they find every possible obstacle and then they stop again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wesrosstx

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas, Tx
The message that they're trying to get across with the first one is conversion. The wanna-be is focusing on the wrong thing. With advertising, the Entrepreneur could care less about the number of views, he wants the views to be converted into sales.

The second point is "boot strapping" - to be able to do well without something. If you can't get funding (or anything else) you find a way to get around it, or find a way to self fund. Wanna-bees pour over the details until they find something wrong, they point to it and say "See, now I can't do it." Its really hard to help them, too. You help them open one door and they find every possible obstacle and then they stop again.

Let's say I know that for every 100 people that come to my business, 3 buy my product. Now, I know I can maybe double my conversion rate(up to 6 buy for every hundred), or I can expand my traffic(infinitely). I know what they are trying to convey but I haven't seen it done in the real world.

As for boot strapping, I get what our saying, no matter how much you try and help someone they are going to find fault and use it as an excuse not to follow their dream/goals.

Elliott

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 18, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Exactly. Even though an entrepreneur lacks the shoes, he/she makes it happen and gets going right away on their plan.

You get the point with the first one. The number your looking at is sales. You understand that there are many variables that go into that number, not just the number of visitors.

Like the Franklin Covey quote "start with the end in mind", the wanna-bee is just looking at the beginning, the raw number of visitors, when he should be looking at the number of sales and working backwards to see how he can improve that number and increase profit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.