The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Visa IPO- Will we all be driving Lambos end of March?

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Yes, stock opened up at $69 .... trailing off a little right now. IPO was priced at $44 .... I requested 10K so that would be a quick $250,000 for me! (I haven't logged in to my Fidelity account to see if I was allocated any shares ... Im dying to know!) Even at $50, that would be $150K (paper gain).:smxF::smxG::eusa_clap:

Hope you got your allocation, you are going to have to add another bay to your parking garage!

The underwriters are making some serious coin on this also.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, what disappointment. I logged in and they gave me 100 shares at 44.00. I requested 10K. I am literally fuming!:bgh:

Gee thanks, if I knew it was going to be 100 shares, I wouldn't have wasted my time.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
What determines how many shares are allocated to you on an IPO? Why would anyone be given more than the next guy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Obviously, not first in, first out. I requested allocation the first day it was available. I know demand was very strong and Fidelity had limited shares. But 100 of 10000? I find it almost insulting.

Oh well, guess I could have zero. The shares have pulled back on the 2ndary market so I might buy some more there.

LAMBO-N-IT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 18, 2008
Canada
MJ I wonder if you requested 100k shares if you would have gotten 1000 :smx4: No idea how IPO's work just a thought.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
At least you picked them up at $44, I got about 1k at $56.75...and then the market closes at $56.50 :-(

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
These next few days should be interesting to say the least.

Tom, are you trying to make a quick profit. If I am not mistaken, it took mastercard a month or two before it began to trend upwards. Just curious what our plays are here, bc you're not the only one who bought shares in the $56 - 59 range

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
quoteBoxLeft.gif
Originally Posted by kurtyordy
quoteBoxRight.gif

actually I see the usage going up if the your prediction of the future economy is correct. More marginal people needing to rely on credit moving forward. Also, they are not only CC, the are also DC
Edge: I think we are already at the phase where more marginal people are relying on credit. I think the next phase will be those marginal people no longer being able to use credit cards. Can you carry a CC with a BK or foreclosure on your record?

this is a great topic... I posted something about this a while back:

ate lunch with a vp from citigroup (a big $ guy) ... reminds me, I have to ask my father if he still belongs to his club.... anyway, we ate a lunch where he brought a honcho to woo our business and after prying he confided as a friend that the `swipe` part of the business is down...

anyone here who accepts cards and actually studies the merchant credit card statement knows what I am talking about.

each `swipe` fee goes right into the pockets of the bank facilitating the services and this is how the banks measure their business regarding credit card fees.

citigroup is the facilitator for several of the largest gas station cards ie mobil/exxon among others and the friend continued talking about his biz

I asked why this biz is down thinking logically that people need to rely on the credit because gas pricing is higher...

his response- people are running out of cash to pay for gas at the pump and they are running out of cash to pay the credit card bills... maxxed out cards are at highest levels in this decade and he even said it would get worse.

Mastercard and visa do not hold debt, though so they really have a lot of opportunities...the credit markets have to start showing signs of settling down before I become a buyer. The trend for financing and credit is still pointing down and much of it is toxic waste, which is how much of the market is perceived. a value investor might find this compelling, though...

lost the most money in one day ever today, but I didnt watch one minute of it.... got to spend the day with wife and kid... wife is about to be put on bed rest depending on what the doctor says tomorrow, so I had a lot of fun with kiddo running around a carpet flooring store laughing my a$$ off while wife shopped with the money that I`ll have to pay visa! oh, the bitter irony!!!

PS. dont bring down the forum by quoting latrell sprewell, please. heh.

PSS. measure the state of the economy by the amount owed to banks vs. savings rates.... difficult data, but if anyone has some to share it would be greatly appreciated.

PSS. Edge - if visa does not own the debt, then who does? lenders/banks/wall street big houses... they give it nice names and Moodys for a long time blessed it with at least an A... so there is always a call girl thinking its a good package willing give it up no matter how bad the credit history.

Justin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 19, 2008
I am very interested in VISA - going to watch it for a couple of days and then make a very small move.

Does it even make sense for a little guy to invest? 1500 bucks can only go so far but if this does move to MC pricing, it would make a big difference to me!

I am gonna dip into it to get my feet wet atleast...even if I lose my shirt I will at least be in the pool!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I was curious about the allocation, so I asked a buddy of mine that used to be in the biz. I'm very green here, but what I understood in regards to only receiving partial allocation was probably due to limits you have on your trading account. If the IPO buy in started at 44 and you set a limit at 44, there's no fluctuation allowed. Something along the lines of having a +/- window for the price to rise and fall, and when it falls it allocates more shares to your account is what I gathered. I thought allocation happened all at once? This doesn't make any sense, or I could have misunderstood the brief conversation I had. Anyone know for sure to set me straight? :smx4:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Nothing but bad news coming out daily about the economy, Gold through the roof, More bad news and then it gets worse and worse....and you guys are accumulating & holding stock? Ack.... I even moved my 401k into cash a couple weeks ago, and am now in "wait & see" mode.

If I could have gotten pre-ipo prices I would have probably rolled the dice with you guys though for a day ;)

- Hakrjak

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
visa will earn regardless of the economy. Currently up 6% in a day.

What I also did was buy JPMorgan call options due to the 1 bill + they stood to net from this deal, also National city whhich stood to net about 400 million. JPMorgan options over 50% and National city is up 10% So far so good.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I decided not to touch it unless it comes back to $50. So I just bought a s***-ton of SIRI with the money, awaiting that legendary XM merger.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
$64.30--- Oh yes sir!!!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I just pulled up VISA, and they don't even have a p/e ratio or any future p/e posted on their yahoo profile. What p/e are they trading at currently?

- Hakrjak

Not sure, but I think it is because they have not had an official earnings report yet because they have just gone public.

D

DeletedUser394

Class A shares have done well in the last 10 days, but that's what you would come to expect with most IPOs.

Its incredibly volatile and highly overrated.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
aaaahhhhhh my visa holdings have been attacked by the bear. he attacked the whole market and look what happened to that. this bodes badly for visa

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I heard people say "Google is overvalued" for months after the IPO. These were people who didn't have any shares and were jealous about it.

Okay, so what is V worth? At what price do I say, "THIS is a good price."

T

TheGreatBear

I heard people say "Google is overvalued" for months after the IPO. These were people who didn't have any shares and were jealous about it.

Okay, so what is V worth? At what price do I say, "THIS is a good price."

Google had the bull market going for it.

What is it worth? I don't know, but the current price and frenzy to buy it makes me suspicious. It's not the only stock out of thousands that'll be attractive, no need to get stuck on it...

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
I just noticed that options are now available for trading on V.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
I bought 90 shares of VISA at 56.50 a few days after the IPO, very glad I got in when I did. My Aunt was going to buy in at 60.00, but hesitated because the stock dipped back into the 58-59 range a few times, and she didnt want to get burned if the stock kept falling. Needless to say she was quite annoyed when it hit 68 again the other day. lol

T

TheGreatBear

Well with the favorable market sentiment now and Visa making an attempt to rally to a new high, it might go higher for the forseeable future(I'm not establishing a position though)
How can an "investment" that 999 people out of 1000 think to be great be a good investment? But anyway...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.