The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Visa IPO- Will we all be driving Lambos end of March?

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
The environment has changed since MC, to one of falling interest rates and an unsteady economy which both hurt CC companies. I dunno if you can bet the farm that it's going to do as well as the MC IPO. That's just my overly cautious outlook though ;)

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Be careful, VISA may be IPOing to find some bagholders.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piranha526

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Be careful, VISA may be IPOing to find some bagholders.

Neither VISA or MasterCard carry the loans or are responsible for the debt incurred by the card holders (they only own and run the networks). The banks are the ones that are on the short end of the stick, not these two companies.

AMEX is completely different, they own the debt! See the difference in performance.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Neither VISA or MasterCard carry the loans or are responsible for the debt incurred by the card holders (they only own and run the networks). The banks are the ones that are on the short end of the stick, not these two companies.

Agreed, but VISA does generate revenue through usage. I've gotta believe usage will decline for two reasons; recession and smaller pool of creditworthy individuals to carry cards.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
actually I see the usage going up if the your prediction of the future economy is correct. More marginal people needing to rely on credit moving forward. Also, they are not only CC, the are also DC

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
actually I see the usage going up if the your prediction of the future economy is correct. More marginal people needing to rely on credit moving forward. Also, they are not only CC, the are also DC

I think we are already at the phase where more marginal people are relying on credit. I think the next phase will be those marginal people no longer being able to use credit cards. Can you carry a CC with a BK or foreclosure on your record?

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
I suppose it's too late to get into it?

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I think we are already at the phase where more marginal people are relying on credit. I think the next phase will be those marginal people no longer being able to use credit cards. Can you carry a CC with a BK or foreclosure on your record?
Right- but if your analysis is correct, the marginal level just moves up a step in the income stream, and the bk and fc now are debit card users which also puts money in Visas pockets.

Also, as more and more utilities allow cc payment, even more usage will ensue. If rent payments via cc become prevelant, even more usage.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Trust me, you can get a visa with a BK or charged off debt in your name. I work for a company who has taken a beaten recently because they are sub-prime lenders. Bad credit, terrible credit, no credit....we give them a card. I am thinking about loading up on some stock for the company I work with (not counting the employee discount program we have) because I have a feeling we are will make some acquisitions over the next two years and when the sub-prime stuff slides to the background, our stock price will be rising back up. We market both Visa and Mastercard.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just downloaded the prospectus (492 PAGES!!!!) and placed my interest order for 10,000 shares. Pricing $37-$42. In the words of Latrell Sprewell, I have a family to feed!

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
What do you see it going to MJ? I am interested in VISA as I see the brand making money each day...as I collect for them! lol

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What do you see it going to MJ? I am interested in VISA as I see the brand making money each day...as I collect for them! lol

I can't make predictions ... but obviously believe it will go higher! Once its priced and shares are assigned, I will determine my exit range.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
as a non accredited investor, can I play, or wait to it goes public?

When I used to trade with Etrade back in the day, they used to have an IPO center where they'd allocate some IPO to non-accrediated investors. I dunno if they are still offering that, but you could check there.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
yeah, I was wondering the same. Anyone familiar of a way an "average joe" as myself can get in on the IPO?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
yeah, I was wondering the same. Anyone familiar of a way an "average joe" as myself can get in on the IPO?

Depends if your broker gets an allocation. I don't think there is any special requirements ... the lady told me "minimum 100 shares" which translates into anyone.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
If you are like me, a small trader...I think the likes of E-Trade, Ameritrade, ect. you will not be able to buy into IPO's. I just asked Ameritrade and they said they did participate in IPO's.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
MJ & other investors, if you do not get in on the IPO how would you play this?

1) Wait until the opening bell and place a limit order and hope to pick Visa up for cheap.

OR

2) Wait a few days, wait for the pullback and buy then?

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
Back to the IPO...

Are the institutions going in for a quick profit? Will they sell once they reach a target price? If so, how much can we speculate the share prices to dip down to... Once they sell there will be a ton of shares up for grabs again, right? Would this be an ideal time to jump in? Will anybody besides the large institutions have access to the Visa shares on day 1 of the IPO?

What (or is there) is the worst case scenario in this IPO. Is there anything that could happen in Wallstreet that could have a huge negative influence on this? Are people going in this thing for a quick profit, or are they in for the long haul?

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I will be buying in on opening day, and some more on the pull back. I was not able to get an IPO allocated to me via Scott-Trade, Etrade, or CS.

Tom

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I will be buying in on opening day, and some more on the pull back. I was not able to get an IPO allocated to me via Scott-Trade, Etrade, or CS.

Tom

T-Minus- 23.5 hours

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Looks like a very successful Visa IPO, currently trading above $58.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes, stock opened up at $69 .... trailing off a little right now. IPO was priced at $44 .... I requested 10K so that would be a quick $250,000 for me! (I haven't logged in to my Fidelity account to see if I was allocated any shares ... Im dying to know!) Even at $50, that would be $150K (paper gain).:smxF::smxG::eusa_clap:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.