The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

VC Interested in my idea, but no clue how to monetize

Idea threads

PJ Pahygiannis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 6, 2014
Olney, Maryland
I'm getting ready to launch a company called Shopfluential (it is still being built) and was hoping to get your brutally honest feedback and criticism.

The site ranks people on their influence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
or YouTube from 0 to 10 and gives them a one time use discount codes based
on their score. They must score a 2 to receive a discount. A 2 would receive 20% off and a 10 would receive 100% off. Anyone can have influence. ANYONE can be an influencer.

I developed formulas/algorithms for each social network to try and measure their influence based on engagement. We DO NOT look or care about how many followers a user has. For example, a like is worth significantly less than a comment on a post. A share is worth a lot more than a comment. We pull data over time from the social networks API.

They connect/link their social media account with one click and then get their score. If they want to get a discount code they have to tell us their age, gender, location, and their interests. We take that info and match them with brands that are targeting people like them. Then they choose from those brands which to get their discount from.

We partner with brands to supply the discounts and discount codes. I have signed up over 800 brands to give discounts - everything from snack company's, subscription boxes, bikini brands, etc. I sent cold emails to these brands and literally asked them to tell me everything they hated about the idea so I could pivot/adjust to their feedback

The brands supply the codes for the influencers to shop with on their website. They decide what scores to target and the number of codes to distribute.

The original idea was after the user uses their code on the brands website and receives their order, they post about their purchase with a custom affiliate link to the brands website to track
the sales they generate and charge brands 10% of all sales that come from the influencer and pay the influencer half that. BUT to create an affiliate network from scratch has proven to be very difficult and VERY expensive.

All the brand does is supply us with a list of discount codes for each score they want to target.

I have one very big and famous CEO/VC interested and have a meeting with another one in the first week of September.

How would YOU monetize this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
A couple of different ideas, just rattling here, some might make sense... others not...

1. Affiliate sales - similar to what ebates does
2. Transaction % - similar to above, but you would get a percentage of the discount
3. Advertising - simple banner or more targeted like competing products (similar to amazon)
4. Lead Gen - you have valuable data, companies will pay for it. Just got to pick the right ones and decide if you are okay selling your users information.
5. Forget monetizing in the short-term, pitch an acquisition play based on your user base & growth.
6. Email monetization - sell different products directly through the emails you capture.

Probably a couple more though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.