The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Urgent! Don’t get sued because of your website..

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

blueyedgibson

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 19, 2019
California
A recent lawsuit prompted me to write this post to protect other forum members. Websites need to be ADA complaint to accommodate visually impaired users. Please make sure your website complies with the appropriate regulations to avoid being sued.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Dark Water

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Your website should be ADA compliant if you have 15 or more employees and operate 20+ weeks out of the year. If you provide public accommodation, like a bank or hotel, it should also be ADA compliant.

With that said, there is nothing written on what exactly this entails. Just best practices. Basically, alt tags for all files, text transcripts for video and audio, an organized layout, etc.

Basically, the same ways that you make your website accessible to Google or other search engines should also help make it work for those who are blind or deaf. Good SEO practices should cover most of everything but you should do your own due diligence to take it one step further and you'll likely be protected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blueyedgibson

blueyedgibson

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 19, 2019
California
Your website should be ADA compliant if you have 15 or more employees and operate 20+ weeks out of the year. If you provide public accommodation, like a bank or hotel, it should also be ADA compliant.

With that said, there is nothing written on what exactly this entails. Just best practices. Basically, alt tags for all files, text transcripts for video and audio, an organized layout, etc.

Basically, the same ways that you make your website accessible to Google or other search engines should also help make it work for those who blind or deaf. Good SEO practices should cover most of everything but you should do your own due diligence to take it one step further and you'll likely be protected.
Yes, I agree do your due diligence. The wording of the ADA compliance laws recently changed to include "all public accommodation" which is a broad term. Unfortunately, our attorney said that this applies to small businesses. Either way if someone sues, you are stuck paying attorney fees or settling for a few thousand out of court :(
I just wanted to spread the word and hopefully help atleast one person avoid this unexpected issue.

voa

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 13, 2019
Yes, I agree do your due diligence. The wording of the ADA compliance laws recently changed to include "all public accommodation" which is a broad term. Unfortunately, our attorney said that this applies to small businesses. Either way if someone sues, you are stuck paying attorney fees or settling for a few thousand out of court :(
I just wanted to spread the word and hopefully help atleast one person avoid this unexpected issue.
Thanks!
My best friend is a business litigation attorney and he said his firm is defending several of these nuisance issues. The threat is very real. Thanks for raising the warning!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock