The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Updates on what I've been up to and also asking fellow fastlaners' advice on a certain task

LifeLongFreedom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jan 11, 2018
Estonia
Hey again!

I've been flying under the radar for quite a few months now, in other words - away from active forum using. Rest assured I've been working relentlessy to get my Lambo fired up and ready for the fastlane.

So first things first. My 2 visions/enterprises I, at this point, literally feel the constant need to turn into reality are both IT - related. Right now it's too early to disclosure the 2nd one (originally it was the first) but the 1st one is my own digital problem solving agency (digital marketing, to say it more traditionally, but our main focus will be on real value, tackling real problems and challenging ourselves). I won't go into too much details for now.

As it stands in June 6th 2019 I'm quite cash-strapped. Not much to work with currently. I won't go into the monthly budget here because many of you wouldn't probably believe how it's possible to survive on roughly 200 euros for 30 days, bills and food included.

Nevertheless I'm always seeking out customers, working on my technical skills, reading at least one book a month and using all the courses I've purchased over time to keep myself sharp like a well-honed blade. Add in physical networking events, joining JCI, virtual networkings through e-mails, social media and who-knows-how-else and seeking advice and occasional mentors I'd say I feel I'm moving in the right direction.

One thing I'm really missing right now is physical training. That won't be discarded however, right now it's simply on hold.

About the task I was given
Somewhere at the end of May I contacted one of the Baltic biggest digital agencies. I'll put a link here if anyone happens to be interested:

They gave me a homework with 2 questions and 2 tasks.

I would appreciate your help with the 1st question:

"How would you separate your cosmetics brand/ company using social media? Cosmetics/beauty products sector is considered to be one of the toughest - new brands, products and resellers are added constantly to te market. How to distinguish yourself in a tough competition?"

My own answer to that is about 1.5 pages long so I'll save you from reading that. However personal experience has shown that the more opinions and advice you get from different people the more it broadens your thinking and makes you notice new solutions. So drop a reply below. Your advice here is kindly appreciated.

The reasoning behind this in general is this: right now I need either a temporary job or customers (whatever happens to come first). If I manage to get hired by that agency I can treat it as a paid practice because they are working in the same field as myself so I'd get plenty of experience.

• Do I plan to use them (the aforementioned agency) for my personal gain? - No, I want to be honest with them right from the get-go and tell them I want to build my own agency, learn from them , help them and work together both as an employee and in the future as a partner if they're okay with it as much as possible.

• Do I plan to use an (unfair?) advantage in a form of our forum to get my homework they gave me for testing purposes done by others? - No, I've already answered the first 2 questions. The reason I'm asking your advice here is that there are many people who have more experience in the world of entrepreneurship and in the cosmetics field. And of course they would know a lot about how to survive in a tough competition. My goal here is to learn from their experiences and think how to combine them with my own knowledge, come up with a working formula and apply it to my imaginary client in this exercise to help them stay alive and flourish.

• Shall I grow complacent on my new cosy office job and give up my pursuits? - Hell no! I've come way too far to throw in the towel now.

and the 2nd question's for the sake of fun, discussion and curiousity:

"How do you think social media will look after 2 years?"

My own personal opinion: facebook and Instagram are as popular as ever, video is the new standard of advertising and there will be a whole lot of mess and controversy with Youtube in the European Union.

Your thoughts?

keep hustlin', grinding, working or whatever it is you do to reach your goal. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Hope you're not pulling your breaks anytime in the near future either.
Stay sharp, stay cool and stay hydrated. Summer's hot as hell this year again it seems.

On the sidenote: Dayum the forum has changed quite a bit in terms of looks! You're absent for a few months, log in and get a big surprise (in a good way though). Do we still have the rep transfer system or are points the new currency now?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've moved your thread OUT of the OFF-TOPIC forum as it is business related. That might help give it some eyeballs.

Do I plan to use them (the aforementioned agency) for my personal gain? - No, I want to be honest with them right from the get-go and tell them I want to build my own agency, learn from them , help them and work together both as an employee and in the future as a partner if they're okay with it as much as possible.

Are you sure they would allow this?

Not sure I would want to hire someone who eventually wants to compete with me as an end game.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
My daughter kept saying "Makeup is stupid" as she was looking for some makeup the other day. She picked some, brought it home, tried it and said, "Oh, not stupid." I thing a campaign highlighting some Smart makeup for smart women/girls might be an in. (My daughter is 30, just FYI)

LifeLongFreedom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jan 11, 2018
Estonia
Much appreciated!:thumbsup:

Are you sure they would allow this?

Not sure I would want to hire someone who eventually wants to compete with me as an end game.

You're making a valid point here. Same thing crossed my mind as well when I was writing this and no matter how I tried to approach this I figured the best thing for me is to stay honest because I want to buid a full-time enterprise, therefore at one point I cannot be working full-time for someone else and have to leave. Plus it feels awkward, nerve-wrecking and overall unpleasant if I have to hide the fact like a spy until the day I disappear.

Teams like that usually look for stable members. I'm aware of it. If I would suddenly quit after working there for a while they would probably want to know the reason.

If I tell them I'm off to (possibly compete with them) build my own agency only now they might feel a bit back-stabbed. Might as well mention it from the beginning and make it clear for both sides that all this will be temporary, hear them out and take it like a man.

From the viewpoint of an entrepreneur I can relate: why would you want to make the competition even tougher? My argument here would be that we are focusing on a different niche ( I have that in place) and different regions/markets (I'm aiming outside the Baltic region). No guarantees of course but this might make them feel a bit more at ease and they might consider taking me in for them to get more work done and delegate tasks and for me to further educate myself.

Thanks for a quick reply MJ!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeLongFreedom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jan 11, 2018
Estonia
My daughter kept saying "Makeup is stupid" as she was looking for some makeup the other day. She picked some, brought it home, tried it and said, "Oh, not stupid." I thing a campaign highlighting some Smart makeup for smart women/girls might be an in. (My daughter is 30, just FYI)

Thank you for the idea!

My takeaway from this is that if you're doing campaigns you really need to understand your audience and come up with something they can relate to and find a way to show them that your product or service is worthwhile.

In terms of my own niche/field I've been doing something somewhat similar. Contacting the businesses in my niche and asking them what are their biggest problems and challenges they need to overcome.

By the way your daughter sounds like my sister: in some regards her mood can change really fast. Today this, tomorrow that.:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.