The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unhappy? Then pack your damn bags and move...

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I looked into moving into this area but they have terrible storms (and tornados) and it worries me. Then I thought about moving closer to Austin, but from what I have read, it is turning into another San Francisco (high cost and extremely liberal people). And I hear the traffic is horrible because the infrastructure can't handle the influx of people.

Aside from this, I like everything else about the state of Texas. I'm just stuck now. Thinking about Arizona now....
We barely get Tornados. I lived here for 30 years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
We barely get Tornados. I lived here for 30 years.
How about these big hail storms (not as bas as tornadoes)? I know a guy in Granbury and he's all excited that I might move near him. I am thinking of moving closer to the Fort Worth side, but I'm not necessarily a cowboy and I worry that even this might be too extreme of a culture for me (though I lean more conservative).

Ideally, I'd like to live in a suburban or rural area that is somewhat a close drive to the metro area. The contract work I do will be mainly in the DFW metro area, just as it is in Los Angeles. Are there any cons about living in the area that I've missed?

I am used to the heat, I like guns, I like lower cost of living (compared to what I pay now), I like nature and history, and less people. I think DFW is like 2/3-1/2 the size of LA in terms of population.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
How about these big hail storms (not as bas as tornadoes)? I know a guy in Granbury and he's all excited that I might move near him. I am thinking of moving closer to the Fort Worth side, but I'm not necessarily a cowboy and I worry that even this might be too extreme of a culture for me (though I lean more conservative).

Ideally, I'd like to live in a suburban or rural area that is somewhat a close drive to the metro area. The contract work I do will be mainly in the DFW metro area, just as it is in Los Angeles. Are there any cons about living in the area that I've missed?

I am used to the heat, I like guns, I like lower cost of living (compared to what I pay now), I like nature and history, and less people. I think DFW is like 2/3-1/2 the size of LA in terms of population.
You've got nothing to worry about I promise. We have tons of sunshine here, not much of any rain or tornadoes. We barely get any snow as it is. Hail storms come and go, but are not frequent.

The cowboy culture is yes prominent here, but we don't judge others who are not.

South Fort Worth is pretty cheap in terms of rent.

Texas's weather is bipolar hahaha! It could rain one second and be sunny the next. It could be 40 degrees one morning, then 80 degrees in the afternoon.

I don't really care for the cowboy look, just not my style. I don't wear hats or boots. Dallas is very business like with suits, but these are more like uptown folk loaded up on credit with the nice cars houses. They can be very friendly at times, sometimes not.

IMO, we are the best state in the US.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Cons:
1. Don't live in South Dallas. Sketcy neighborhoods.
2. Pot Smokers are prevalent in some areas.
3. Hmmm, not a lot of crime or homelessness. I haven't seen many people out on the streets.
4. Not a lot of burglary where I live or at all.

Only telling you what I've seen. Other forum members might be able to chime in and tell you there thoughts.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

My best advice, book a hotel. Visit the city for 3 days. Then make your decision.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
How about these big hail storms (not as bas as tornadoes)?
We get them sometimes. Budget to buy a new roof for your house 1.25x as often as someone in a place without big a$$ hail. Not a big deal.

AroonKumar4in

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 6, 2024
India
I am planning to move to other city for many years. I think I shall get a better job in another city. This thread really encouraged me and told to decide and move quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.