The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unexpected Hustle Gone Wrong

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

10Fold

Custom titles are a dope idea
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I’m in university studying engineering at the moment. Because of this, I’m limited to side hustles and short term hustles.

I had an engineering exam coming up and we are allowed to bring a double-sided A4 sheet of notes for it. As I was making mine, I was thinking about how time-consuming and annoying it was to make despite it being a great asset in an exam. And then it hit me. What if I sold copies of mine? I started working on my notes much harder and finally got it done. I typed up a post on our ENGR101 general discussion forum. The great thing about the forum was that it sent an automatic email to every ENGR101 student. Here’s the post:

the post_LI (2).jpg

I was pretty proud of it. I sat back and relaxed, hitting refresh every now and then. That’s when the most beautiful thing happened. I started getting orders!

EMAIL - 1ST CUST_LI.jpg
EMAIL - 2ND CUST_LI.jpg
EMAIL - 3RD CUST_LI.jpg

While all of this business was coming in, I remained oblivious to the destructive problem I had missed. In a moment of fatigue, I had made my redacted version for public viewing a word document! This meant anyone could easily make a copy of the document and remove the black highlights I had made! And here’s the moment I realized:

N.O2 - Cunt of all cunts_LI.jpg

My heart sank. This was the very first time I had ever created value and sold it. I learnt a valuable lesson: Make my sh*t theft proof. I was rushing to post the ad completely missed this iceberg. To say the least, this hustle ship sank like the damn titanic! The following is a bunch of posts and emails that came after the moment I realized (keep in mind that every post and reply sends an automatic email to every ENGR101 student!).

N.O3 - Response to king cunt.png
I was understandably pissed off…

But at least there are still good people in this world:

EMAIL - SUPPORTER 01_LI.jpg

EMAIL - SUPPORTER 02_LI.jpg

N.O4 - Pitch comment_LI.jpg

[This forum limits posts to 10 attachments - I will post the rest in the comments]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
N.O5 - Should've copyrighted_LI.jpg
At this point, there were a ridiculous amount of replies (our forum was only meant to handle a few replies for every post!). Here’s my reply to the post above:
N.O9 - In heinsight.png
Here's that Youtube video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJptNo9OjSY

What a great guy. Not only did he message me privately, he also beautifully explained the circumstances that I was selling under in this post:
N.O6 - Copyright king_LI.jpg

Despite this, there are still haters:
N.O7 - Hater about $$_LI.jpg

Even German ones (or ones trying to show off their German?). It google translate says that it means “You are a bad person”:
N.O10 - Y german_LI.jpg

And there’s always the hater who goes out of their way to contact you personally:
EMAIL-CUNT_LI.jpg

Got a few of these as well:
N.O11 - Incentivised saviour 1_LI.jpg

An ethical conversation was even created! This is especially funny as that was one of the topics in our engineering course!
N.O33 - Ethics_LI.jpg

And that’s when the rickrolling started…
N.O17 - Rickroll_LI.jpg
N.O21 - He got rickrolled_LI.jpg

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
N.O22 - Shady bitly_LI.jpgN.O30 - rickroll 02_LI.jpg

Someone even made a meme!
N.O37 - MEME!_LI.jpg

In the end, it was a good lesson and some good laughs (after I got over it haha):

N.021 - Comedy_LI.jpg

N.O41 - it's pretty funny_LI.jpg

This guy is checking for plagiarism using turnitin:
N.041 - Hemi_LI.jpg

And here’s my Professor’s response:
EMAIL-PROFF_LI.jpg

All up, there were a total of 2 posts with 51 replies!

Thanks for tuning in and hearing my story!

blackbeans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 26, 2021
I think the important thing was for you to start.
It took a lot of confidence for you to put yourself out there.
I am sure you won't make the same mistake again next time.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I think the important thing was for you to start.
It took a lot of confidence for you to put yourself out there.
I am sure you won't make the same mistake again next time.
Thank you.

You are completely right, I'm not very extroverted and I still struggle with putting myself out there. Worrying that it will go wrong and it won't work without even giving it a shot.
It was a great lesson to have learnt and because of how I learnt it, I don't think I'll be forgetting anytime soon :)

Thanks for your input!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ha Ha, as your professor said, great entrepreneurial initiative. Kudos to you.

And you learned a potent lesson: If people were willing to pay to cheat their way to a cheat-sheet, didn't you think they would cheat YOU too?

Welcome to human nature and the growing onslaught of people who think everything should be free. It's now a part of business.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
Ha Ha, as your professor said, great entrepreneurial initiative. Kudos to you.

And you learned a potent lesson: If people were willing to pay to cheat their way to a cheat-sheet, didn't you think they would cheat YOU too?

Welcome to human nature and the growing onslaught of people who think everything should be free. It's now a part of business.
Thank you MJ!

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021
Thank you MJ!
I love this share of yours @10Fold Thanks for being detailed & walking us through this entrepreneurial initiative. I must say, I'm an engineer, & we also had these A4 cheat sheets back on campus over 13 years ago, they were like gold, this was a brilliant idea of yours as I remember it took us hours & hours to personally create & customize them.
I still feel university has MANY more of these challenges which bode well for entrepreneurial minded guys.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I love this share of yours @10Fold Thanks for being detailed & walking us through this entrepreneurial initiative. I must say, I'm an engineer, & we also had these A4 cheat sheets back on campus over 13 years ago, they were like gold, this was a brilliant idea of yours as I remember it took us hours & hours to personally create & customize them.
I still feel university has MANY more of these challenges which bode well for entrepreneurial minded guys.
Thank you SSTrey! Happy I could give you a dose of nostalgia! I'll keep that in mind as I go through uni, thanks again!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.