The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unconfident wannabe entrepreneur

Coolledge

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 21, 2023
Gran Canaria
Hey,

I've been "umming" and "arring" about posting my introduction. Why? Confidence. I hate the idea of negative feedback, negative comments, I find it difficult. Something I'm trying to overcome.

I am my own biggest enemy, why am I not successful? Me. I find a way to procrastinate, i find a reason to do something else, I find a reason to say tomorrow.

Okay, not the best introduction, not the best way to say this is me. But this is why I am here. I am here to give myself encouragement, to see what I can achieve through the achievements of you all. To read the advice and not just take it in, but to act upon it. I'm not going to say I'm an entrepreneur until i achieve something.

I first read the millionaire fastlane in 2017 when I was on holiday. It was the first hardcopy book I've ever read from start to finish within two weeks (I always struggle to read books, why? i tell myself i cant read). It really inspired me, but unfortunately I did nothing with that inspiration, instead i dug deeper into my job and worked hard for someone else. Where did I hear this book from? My boss, the director /founder of the company I worked for. He told me he doesn't want his staff to just work for him and earn a living, he wants them to really achieve something in life and learn from the company, and he recommended MJs books. Not just to me, but to all of our software devs. (What a guy right?). He also encouraged me to read unscripted . I didn't for a year or two... i was "too busy".

I read unscripted and again I was inspired but didn't act upon it, still digging deep into my work. (To be fair i was working twelve hour days five days a week and sometimes seven days a week for this company, I was promoted to IT Director and I really felt proud of the product.. i still do.. i felt i was making a difference and helping people with the product i was building.)

Fast forward two or three years later the company got bought out, and the hard work I put in, was great.. for the people who owned the company, a big reason the company I worked for got bought is the work I did. This hit me quite hard. I worked for the company for for another two years before my life dramatically changed, perhaps a mini burnout. I was married and had been for eight years, but things hadn't been great for two years, i worked all hours and the flair disappeared and I was unhappy. As a last ditch attempt at the marriage, i had the idea that we move to Gran Canaria, I had always wanted too and it was in my five year plan. This was the fifth year. My partner agreed to trial it for three months, I was still working for the company remotely, they was okay with that. However things went dramatically wrong. My partner hated living out there, i loved living out there, and well basically divorce happened.

I was adamant to live the life in Gran Canaria. Brexit caused huge issues for me, I required a visa and the best visa I could get (for reasons I wont go into) was a Non lucrative visa. This meant quitting my job, the move was my total focus in life and I decided I wanted to give it a try. I had £50,000 in savings, and a house that was mortgaged. With the divorce we sold the house and after 50/50 and paying my mortgage off i walked away with another £30,000. I had lived in Gran Canaria for five months before my solicitor who had organised my visa quit the company and a new one came. This solicitor told me the previous solicitor was wrong and I can work for a company just not inside Spain. At the exact same time (that week!) the company asked me if I was willing to come back part time. I didn't want my savings to disappear they were already diminishing, i worked out that working three days a week pays my bills and i can save a little bit extra too. However the three days a week aren't three days a week, I can't help but working longer and later. I work at least four or five days a week. The problem is I also have a side project I'm working on and it has tons of opportunity, but i find myself working for my job and not on this!!

In March I read the great rat race escape , and again totally inspired (my favourite of the three). But I'm determined to do something with it this time. I feel I have a different mind set, I'm more willing to challenge myself and do things I hate (like writing this) I live in the climate and place I've always wanted too (bit of an action fake i know), I have four days a week without a job (if I discipline myself) and finally after years of avoiding it as (again i was "too busy") I've joined the Fastlane forum to inspire and remind myself of what the goal is every day.

Bear with me with my naivety I really am trying, and the biggest thing I have to defeat is myself and the negativity I have for myself.

Anyway I've rambled a lot here about me, but i guess it is my introduction. This was actually very difficult for me to write, again the fear of how its received.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
That wasn't so bad was it?

You know who will help you if you have his number or can get in touch with him? Act as a sounding board for you. Point you in the right direction. Maybe introduce you to some people if you have an idea relevant to anyone he knows?

Your old boss.

He was practically telling you this.

Dan

Coolledge

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 21, 2023
Gran Canaria
That wasn't so bad was it?

You know who will help you if you have his number or can get in touch with him? Act as a sounding board for you. Point you in the right direction. Maybe introduce you to some people if you have an idea relevant to anyone he knows?

Your old boss.

He was practically telling you this.

Dan
Thanks Dan, no you're right! I really am trying to get over this!
I actually speak to him every day outside of work, but more on normal life than work life, we sneak in a bit of work and idea talk but hes a bit burnt out at the minute so don't talk too much about work, and i don't push it.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
The problem is I also have a side project I'm working on and it has tons of opportunity, but i find myself working for my job and not on this!!
Can you give it 30 mins of your day? 1 hour of your day? Keep inching it forward.
Your old boss.
Probable that your old boss is, was on this forum.

Coolledge

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 21, 2023
Gran Canaria
Can you give it 30 mins of your day? 1 hour of your day? Keep inching it forward.

Probable that your old boss is, was on this forum.
yeah youre right, i can give it more than that, just need to stop making excuses!

I think my lack of direction comes from i started to code first, with no real idea or plan of where I am going. This is where my mental block comes from, i sit down to do some work on it and im blocked by "well where do i start". Maybe im trying to run before I can walk. Im trying to learn business, ive always been very technical and good at what i do, but only when i know what im doing. Im currently reading a book (from @Fox ) to try help me understand more than just the technical side of things.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Supposing your life depended on selling something in the next 7 days. What would you do? What would you sell?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Check this out.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
It would definitely be a website. But i get your point! Thanks for the forum link too ill check it out!
What’s stopping you?

You said you work in IT. That should make a number of things there easy for you.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
I was at the spot you were in when I was young and it really is a struggle. What I wish I had done sooner was to do something...anything.

So this is my advice. You read all the Fastlane series. So now try to sell something, try to create a product or service. Say I am a creator NOW. Imagine a product/ service and work on creating it every day. This will reinforce your identity. Every time that you REALLY work on something, even if it is for 5 minutes, you are a creator. Every time that you try to sell something you are an entrepreneur.

If you do something even if you do not feel like it and it is against your "personality" you have won already.

Confidence is built through action. You do something a couple of times, you suck. You do it many times you become good at it. And then you gain confidence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...