The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Uncommon books that you'd recommend?

For any book discussion

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018
I'm looking for something new to read, but I'm tired of reading popular books that you find on all of the "lists" that everyone else is reading.

Do you have any good book recommendations that are off the beaten path?

I just read The Fish That Ate the Whale: The Life and Times of America's Banana King
and loved the hell out of it.

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." --Haruki Murakami

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm looking for something new to read, but I'm tired of reading popular books that you find on all of the "lists" that everyone else is reading.

Do you have any good book recommendations that are off the beaten path?

I just read The Fish That Ate the Whale: The Life and Times of America's Banana King
and loved the hell out of it.

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." --Haruki Murakami

This is the most obscure book that I recommend most often: THE STRUCTURE OF MAGIC VOLUME I

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What is the goal you’re trying to accomplish by reading?

Are you building vocabulary while trying to see the world from a different point of view?
Are you hoping to refresh your soul or challenge your mind?
Are you wanting information downloaded into your brain so you can make better choices for a topic?
Do you want to understand the connections between the past and the present?

There are too many books in the world to read them all.. you gotta have some idea of what your goal is.

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018
What is the goal you’re trying to accomplish by reading?

Are you building vocabulary while trying to see the world from a different point of view?
Are you hoping to refresh your soul or challenge your mind?
Are you wanting information downloaded into your brain so you can make better choices for a topic?
Do you want to understand the connections between the past and the present?

There are too many books in the world to read them all.. you gotta have some idea of what your goal is.
All of the above.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I really like The Next 100 Years by George Friedman. He's a geopolitical expert and forecaster. The book is his take on what the 21st century will bring. It is not a self help or entrepreneurship book, but an interesting read nonetheless.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I would recommend 12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson and principals by ray dalio. Not very obscure books, but they’re dense and most people won’t read through them.
Don’t forget Big Debt Crises by Ray Dalio.
Presents some frameworks of how he and his firm look at debt cycles to foresee crashes and opportunities.

To fully understand the finance lingo, it took me a few college classes on Commercial Banking and Portfolio Management- and I found it to be a great study book on historic crashes, and how they might relate to today.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The Wright Brothers- David McCullough

Zero to One- Peter Thiel

Good Profit- Charles Koch

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
The Way to Willpower by Henry Hazlitt.

Was written 100 years ago by Henry Hazlitt who is a famous Austrian economist. I haven't read a better book on willpower yet.

AdamUK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 14, 2018
"Thick Face, Black Heart: The Warrior Philosophy for Conquering the Challenges of Business and Life,"

is an interesting book. I think someone recommended it here

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
"Thick Face, Black Heart: The Warrior Philosophy for Conquering the Challenges of Business and Life,"

is an interesting book. I think someone recommended it here
“Thick Face Black Heart” is the Chinese version of machiavellian art. It is the kind of stuff that people would nor talk about too openly.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My biggest book recommendation is “pimpology” by “pimpin’ Ken”

My favorite book about management and people skills.

another bit of text:

JIRS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 1, 2019
St. Petersburg, FL
Antifragile by Nassim Taleb.

I absolutely hate the author, but if you are able to digest the book, the message in it is pretty deep and revealing, and it is a nice complement to The Millionaire Fastlane .

I'd have to read the book again, but one of the messages it left me is the following regarding businesses and the way you structure your life project:

Things that are fragile:
  • Have small multiple payouts but hidden big risks. For example 9-5 job with paycheck with debt, and a looming recession coming your way without knowing it.
Things that are robust:
  • A small business where you are shielded from a recession, but will never really give you any big upsides. May still be fragile.
Things that are antifragile:
  • The contrarian investment instruments in his' fund portfolio, which are designed to make his investors rich in the case of a major shit hit the fan calamity financial recession.
  • Any business where you risk little daily, provides some money, but is positioned to explode (big expected return in specific events).

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
"The Code Breakers" by David Kahn is the greatest book of all time.

It's a history of coded messages and the folks who created and broke them, and the consequences they've had on the world throughout history.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
This book completely changed the way I view the world when I was 18. Presented a speech on this book in Comm class. Definitely an interesting peak into the formation of the federal reserve.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Someone else mentioned antifragile by Nassim Taken which is a cool book. I've read a few of his books and I have to say they are pretty disorganized at times and fill of tangents. With that said, I've never read an author that made me sit back and think as much as Nassim.

My fav book of his is Skin in the Game. It's a shorter read than Antifragile and very interesting for those interested in business and economics.

After reading this I began structuring deals that made sure everyone has skin in the game to avoid some of the pitfalls that come with people not having real consequences to their actions. It made it easier to lower the risk for my clients because I emphasized that I had skin in the game too and would want the project to succeed for my own well being, not just theirs.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
"Managing through the entrepreneurial fog" by Tim Koprowski. Chances are you haven't read that one. The guy whom I've spoken to personally a number of times was a hospital administrator in the Air Force and subsequently quit to found his own company selling materials management software to huge hospital chains. He has visited 49 out of 50 states in the course of running his business. He had to eventually quit and retire due to health issues.

"My wicked, wicked ways" by Errol Flynn. Warning: this autobiography does not mesh well with traditional morality and may be considered offensive. However, it describes outlandish entrepreneurial experiences, including running a coconut plantation, making money on cockfights, navigating a passenger boat, digging for gold and much more, all done by a guy with very little schooling who went on to become a successful Hollywood actor.

raritee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Sep 28, 2017
VIRGINIA
"Why You are Still a Slave" is a book that I borrowed in my kindle library that was surprisingly good and somewhat original.

I like the books by the creator of "Dilbert" Scott Adams: "How to Win Bigly", "How to Fail and Succeed" and "Loserthink".

I also like the Nassim Tallib books.

"Deviate" by Beau Lotto is an interesting book on neuroscience.

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018

raritee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Sep 28, 2017
VIRGINIA
Is this book legit? Or is this mostly conspiracy theory?

I just read the free sample on Amazon .... so I am no expert on it. But .... if you put conspiracy aside ... it seems legit to me. And really .... conspiracy is a matter of degree. A group of people who look out for their interests conspire by definition. It is only a matter of degrees.

I thought that it was interesting that the book I recommended "Why are You Still a Slave?" may have used the premise of "The Creature of Jekyl Island" as foundation material. It is also interesting that "The Creature of Jekyl Island" predicted the future.

The acid test of whether something is true or not is how well it predicts the future? I get that from the Scott Adam's books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.