The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Negotiation Tips/Resources/Books You'd Recommend?

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
Are there any books, resources, or tips that have helped you in business negotiations?

I will be calling some companies and trying to negotiate a deal( lower price) on some products and trying to get some products for free (cheaper products that the company makes most of their money on through refills).

My "potential leverage" is their products will be included in our products package and marketed heavily with the other packaged items.

Win - Win - Win
Them: Another source of consistent income and free marketing
Us: The value of our product increases
Customers: Save money by buying the products together instead of separate

Since I don't have the big audience/branding it's hard to present a good argument for a better deal starting out but without the better deal it's hard to grow as quickly. Chicken and egg Scenario.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The person that cares the least wins. That premise really applies to relationships but it works in negotiations as well.

Confidence it the key factor. Never allow yourself to be intimidated by anyone.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Are there any books, resources, or tips that have helped you in business negotiations?

I will be calling some companies and trying to negotiate a deal( lower price) on some products and trying to get some products for free (cheaper products that the company makes most of their money on through refills).

My "potential leverage" is their products will be included in our products package and marketed heavily with the other packaged items.

Win - Win - Win
Them: Another source of consistent income and free marketing
Us: The value of our product increases
Customers: Save money by buying the products together instead of separate

Since I don't have the big audience/branding it's hard to present a good argument for a better deal starting out but without the better deal it's hard to grow as quickly. Chicken and egg Scenario.
Ive heard good things about the book "Negotiation Genius."

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Trump's the art of the deal.

He's not into strict technicals, but he did put out some of his personal experiences, and they are quite priceless to look into.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Give yourself options and be ready to step away from all of them.

Don't get emotional.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
^^ agree Not caring goes a long way. I had a light bulb one day dealing with a customer that was a huge pain in the a$$. I got to the point where I really didn't give a shit if he bought anymore. The minute I stopped caring, he started caving to price, delivery date, the whole kitchen sink.

When you have confidence that you're bringing value to the table, you're willing to walk away, everyone picks up on it consciously or unconsciously.

Before you're going to negotiate with someone, remind yourself of what value you bring into the deal. You'll go in more confident, and they'll feel it.

It's the difference between being the guy that has something everybody wants, and being the guy that wants something from everybody.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.