What's new

ugh. failure.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Brandon Bunch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
The fast lane has changed quite a bit since i've last been on. i've also had to let go of my INSIDERS subscription in the last year a result of being focused on my window washing company that i see now was failed from the start. since i lost my subscription i also seem to have lost my last progress thread and any access i had to it. i'm starting this progress thread in the public forum to avoid that in the future. this community however has done so much for me and i have learnt a lot. i guess the in this post id just like to express my feelings regarding the ups and downs of this experience and hope that i can maybe give something back. i'll also share my new focus and direction now that i have picked myself back up from my spectacular stupidity. so in my home town i use to work with my best friend. he had inherited a window washing company from his father while we were in high school when his father was no longer able to do the work. he was supposed to give his father a % of the profit in exchange to help with his fathers medical bills. my friend controlled at least 60% of the window washing market in our town at the time this allowed him to help his father. pay his own bills comfortably and also pay me generously. he and i were pretty good at washing windows and managed to take a small % of the surrounding towns market as well funding our teenage antics and partying sufficiently however as graduation neared i had bigger plans than being a small town window washer and left my small town pursuing education and a bigger brighter future. we stayed friends and i sometimes would visit my family and help with his small operation which didnt grow much in this time i was trying to figure my life and career out. after dropping out of collage and then attending dive school to only fail at finding a job i eventually fell back on welding in atlanta this is when my friend and i had the bright idea that there was a much bigger window market in atlanta. this was shortly after i had read the millionaire fast lane and thought this had bestowed the gift of business expertise on me so i thought with my new insight and his expertise in washing windows as partners we could cut out a nice chunk of market for ourselves the same way we gained business in our home town. long story short i paid his way up to atlanta told him while i worked and fed us for the first few months he would work on sales as he was a very good salesman at home home months went by and i tried to support sales best i could however he seemed to lose his sense of responsibility in the excitement of the move and in my opinion spent way to much time out enjoying the city instead of nurturing our budding business. sales never happend my nest egg dwindled and eventually he ended up back in our home town on his dad's couch. i realize now he was not cut out to be a good partner. if anything i should have treated him more like an employee since i came up with all of the money/equipment and eventually also tried to take on the first few sales even though i was already exhausted with what i had on my plate. i wanted to give him confidence that the city was no different than our hometown. after dragging him around the city in search of sales i quickly realized lack of ambition and not cold feet was to blame for my business failing as he half heartedly pitched to prospects with me i ruined a friendship and i am now in an industry i dont have the proper expertise to succeed in. now i'm exiting to refocus on something i have more control in. i tried to scale someone else's value before they were ready instead of trying to provide my own. i regret how i negatively affected his life even though i realize he is an adult and makes his own decisions. i feel like having inherited his first business he was not prepared for bootstrapping ours and i sold him this idea or opportunity for a bigger market prematurely although i was completely honest. moving on.

upon re-evaluating myself i have been welding/ fabricating for many years. i was taught young and dual enrolled in high school to get my certs. my next thought was to invest in myself end what i was best at so i've been playing with the idea of either purchasing a weld truck to at least make the move into freelancing then eventually a business or just making the leap to full fledged fab shop creating jigs for other companies now that my nest egg is back up. after trying my hand at washing windows however i know know just how hard it is to try and bootstrap a b&m i just can't seem to get my mind out of this physical b&m box i guess is how i would describe it. i lost a lot on my last b&m attempt and know it will most likely take more to make it which i am prepared for however to better control my risk im trying to make the best and most educated decision that i can for myself before i risk failing again. i don't regret my losses however i think for the money i've spent i've learned a lot especially in sales working for my competition and i now am more comfortable with paperwork for the government and legality which was more scary than difficult anyway. though i enjoy creating and monetizing my skills would allow me to satisfy that desire. i've also thought about trying to monetize my girlfriend and i’s cats instagram account which is starting to get a surprising amount of followers. this has been my most prominent idea to avoid the physical exhaustion that comes with b&m's plus a nine to five to support it because it also has the interest of my love. i have many skills and product ideas and can learn anything so this makes my decision that much harder. i lack however confidence in a lot of my product ideas of which i know would be costly to develop just from my experience prototyping underwater rov’s for stem class. i guess my first step for now dis going to be to see how costly it would be to get set up for welding/fabricating for myself would be and to put the cats insta on the backburner as a hobby interest since it's free right now to try and increase traffic. also maybe research licensing.

sorry for the wall of text however i feel as though i was not being in depth enough or providing much for you guys in my last post. i also apologize for the repetitive use of i my girlfriend is trying to help she is an english minor and it drives her crazy. please feel free to ask anything or share your thoughts

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O katv xepvif vu tez vjev e geomasi ot emxezt tunivjoph zua dep miesp gsun epf zua jewi emsiefz huv ep evvovafi vjev fuitp’v gudat up cmeni, tu zua’si fuoph hsiev.

Xi emm geom - O jewi geomif epf nifoudsi catopitt evvinqvt cijopf ni. Ov’t emm miespoph [emoji846].

O fup’v lpux ecuav optvehsen - vji nettit tiin vu muwi nef edduapvt ecuav devt epf vjopht, tu nezci vjisi ot tunivjoph vjisi. Og zua’si neloph qiuqmi giim huuf xovj qodvasit zua’si qsuwofoph wemai, xjodj ot xjev ov’t emm ecuav.

Xotj zua madl, epf liiq at aqfevif!

Tipv gsun nz oQjupi atoph Veqeveml

Jiz vjeplt nep O eqqsidoevi vji sitqupti ov siemmz qodlif ni aq xjip O tex ov.
O vjopl tuup O'n huoph vu vjsux e movvmi nupiz ev e tnemm ximfis O jewi e gsoipf xovj e movvmi tqedi e vjopl O duamf Gec op gus e gix ciist. Vjisi't e muv ug juni epf eqesvnipv fiwimuqnipv esuapf ni tu O'n huoph vu vjsux vuhivjis tuni catopitt desft epf tii og epzupi xepvt vu uavtuasdi vjopht moli tveost, seomopht, epf hevit vu tvesv. Vjip nezci tnemm siqeost gus nedjopi tjuq notvelit us tnemm cevdj gect gus tnemm duptvsadvoup dunqepzt og O dep caz us hiv edditt vu e dpd vu hsux. O'n disvogoif tu O lpux nz ximft xomm jumf cav O tvomm piif vu muul ev optasepdi epf modiptit. Owi emsiefz qeof nz veyit gus nz tumi qsuqsoivustjoq xopfux catopitt vjot zies epf O'wi fupi e raodl tiesdj cav O'n vszoph vu gohasi uav sp og O dep katv txeq vjev uwis vu ximfoph/Gec xusl xovjuav et nadj voni epf nupiz et katv tvesvoph uwis. Emtu piif vu muul aq siraosinipvt us haofimopit O jewi vu efjisi vu gus vjopht moli seomt epf tveost. Omm vsz vu liiq zua hazt aqfevif O xotj O duamf jewi fupi civvis ev vjev metv zies O xet katv tvsittif epf tjusv up voni. Nz umf qesvpis jef ni ev nz xov't ipf.:qiedi:

Aqfevi: Nz cutt ev vji sitveasepv jet emsiefz cuahjv $150 xusvj ug xusl epf jet ehsiif vu jewoph ni gecsodevi 2 vecmit gus $400. Nz fiefmopi ot Wemipvopi't fez. O duptofis vjot vji hsiip mohjv vu hiv iwiszvjoph mihem epf xomm qsucecmz tvesv e pix iop vupohjv us vunussux nuspoph.

Tipv gsun nz Qoyim 2 YM atoph Veqeveml

Tu, O'n dassipvmz neloph vxu vecmit sohjv pux gus 400$. Egvis O gopotj vjuti vecmit O jewi 16 vecmit ev 50$ e qoidi vu sigascotj gsun upi dmoipv, nz dassipv cutt. Nz metv qsuqsoivustjoqt vey edduapv ot dmutif eddusfoph vu vji dovz ug Evmepve juxiwis O tvomm jewi vu gomi nz gopem sivaspt gus vjev catopitt fuit epzupi lpux og O piif e pix iop gus nz pix ximfoph dunqepz vji OST tovi tiinif apdmies? Egvis iwiszvjoph ot mihem gus vjot pix catopitt O'n huoph vu vasp nz evvipvoup vu hivvoph nusi dmoipvt. Nz tofi kuct jewi eggusfif ni ipuahj iraoqnipv vjev O vjopl O dep veli e gix podi txopht ev vjot.

Tipv gsun nz Qoyim 2 YM atoph Veqeveml

Tviim epf xsuahjv osup gaspovasi esi coh vjopht sohjv pux. Neli e gix vjopht, qav vjin up Gedicuul Nesliv Qmedi epf Dseohtmotv.... tii xjev timmt citv, neli tuni koht, hiv e jimqis xjip zua hiv nusi catopitt vjep zua dep jepfmi epf aq, aq epf exez gsun vjisi!

Nz caffz ot e xuuf xuslis. Ji jef e duaqmi ug wisz quqames djeost ji xuamf neli. Ji duamfp'v neli vjin getv ipuahj..... cav, ji ot puv vji vzqi ug qistup vu jewi xuslist epf ot pux uav ug catopitt cideati ji jef ep eddofipv epf dep pu muphis neli vjin. Vjev't xjz zua piif vu hiv ov gohasif uav et getv et quttocmi epf hiv vjuti xuslist.

Katv neli tasi zua qsodi vjin PUX vjoploph ug vji GAVASI. Gohasi uav xjev iwiszvjoph xomm dutv zua xjip zua jewi xuslist.... nedjopit.... iwiszvjoph...... timm vjin gus vjev qsodi gsun vji tvesv. Fup'v gohasi uav vji qsodi zua piif pux.... miv't tez $200 gus e vecmi. Xjev og updi zua hiv 3 xuslist epf e tjuq, e vecmi dutvt ZUA $200 vu neli.... xomm zua piif vu timm ov gus $500? Og zua fup'v gohasi uav vjuti dutvt pux, zua esi miefoph zuastimg op vji xsuph fosidvoup. Vjot ot vji teni gus epz catopitt. Juqi vjot jimqt.

Katv ep egvis-vjuahjv.... muvt ug qiuqmi piif tqidogod avomovz vseomist. Neli vjin datvun.

Vji getv mepi jet djephif raovi e cov topdi o'wi metv ciip up. o'wi emtu jef vu miv hu ug nz optofis tactdsoqvoup op vji metv zies e sitamv ug cioph gudatif up nz xopfux xetjoph dunqepz vjev o tii pux xet geomif gsun vji tvesv. topdi o mutv nz tactdsoqvoup o emtu tiin vu jewi mutv nz metv qsuhsitt vjsief epf epz edditt o jef vu ov. o'n tvesvoph vjot qsuhsitt vjsief op vji qacmod gusan vu ewuof vjev op vji gavasi. vjot dunnapovz juxiwis jet fupi tu nadj gus ni epf o jewi miespv e muv. o haitt vji op vjot qutv of katv moli vu iyqsitt nz giimopht sihesfoph vji aqt epf fuxpt ug vjot iyqisoipdi epf juqi vjev o dep nezci howi tunivjoph cedl. o'mm emtu tjesi nz pix gudat epf fosidvoup pux vjev o jewi qodlif nztimg cedl aq gsun nz tqidvedames tvaqofovz. tu op nz juni vuxp o ati vu xusl xovj nz citv gsoipf. ji jef opjisovif e xopfux xetjoph dunqepz gsun jot gevjis xjomi xi xisi op johj tdjuum xjip jot gevjis xet pu muphis ecmi vu fu vji xusl. ji xet taqqutif vu howi jot gevjis e % ug vji qsugov op iydjephi vu jimq xovj jot gevjist nifodem commt. nz gsoipf dupvsummif ev mietv 60% ug vji xopfux xetjoph nesliv op uas vuxp ev vji voni vjot emmuxif jon vu jimq jot gevjis. qez jot uxp commt dungusvecmz epf emtu qez ni hipisuatmz. ji epf o xisi qsivvz huuf ev xetjoph xopfuxt epf nepehif vu veli e tnemm % ug vji tassuapfoph vuxpt nesliv et ximm gapfoph uas viipehi epvodt epf qesvzoph taggodoipvmz juxiwis et hsefaevoup piesif o jef cohhis qmept vjep cioph e tnemm vuxp xopfux xetjis epf migv nz tnemm vuxp qastaoph ifadevoup epf e cohhis csohjvis gavasi. xi tvezif gsoipft epf o tunivonit xuamf wotov nz genomz epf jimq xovj jot tnemm uqisevoup xjodj fofpv hsux nadj op vjot voni o xet vszoph vu gohasi nz mogi epf desiis uav. egvis fsuqqoph uav ug dummehi epf vjip evvipfoph fowi tdjuum vu upmz geom ev gopfoph e kuc o iwipvaemmz gimm cedl up ximfoph op evmepve vjot ot xjip nz gsoipf epf o jef vji csohjv ofie vjev vjisi xet e nadj cohhis xopfux nesliv op evmepve. vjot xet tjusvmz egvis o jef sief vji nommoupeosi getv mepi epf vjuahjv vjot jef citvuxif vji hogv ug catopitt iyqisvoti up ni tu o vjuahjv xovj nz pix optohjv epf jot iyqisvoti op xetjoph xopfuxt et qesvpist xi duamf dav uav e podi djapl ug nesliv gus uastimwit vji teni xez xi heopif catopitt op uas juni vuxp. muph tvusz tjusv o qeof jot xez aq vu evmepve vumf jon xjomi o xuslif epf gif at gus vji gostv gix nupvjt ji xuamf xusl up temit et ji xet e wisz huuf temitnep ev juni juni nupvjt xipv cz epf o vsoif vu taqqusv temit citv o duamf juxiwis ji tiinif vu muti jot tipti ug sitquptocomovz op vji iydovinipv ug vji nuwi epf op nz uqopoup tqipv xez vu nadj voni uav ipkuzoph vji dovz optvief ug pasvasoph uas caffoph catopitt. temit piwis jeqqipf nz pitv ihh fxopfmif epf iwipvaemmz ji ipfif aq cedl op uas juni vuxp up jot fef't duadj. o siemobi pux ji xet puv dav uav vu ci e huuf qesvpis. og epzvjoph o tjuamf jewi vsievif jon nusi moli ep inqmuzii topdi o deni aq xovj emm ug vji nupiz/iraoqnipv epf iwipvaemmz emtu vsoif vu veli up vji gostv gix temit iwip vjuahj o xet emsiefz iyjeatvif xovj xjev o jef up nz qmevi. o xepvif vu howi jon dupgofipdi vjev vji dovz xet pu foggisipv vjep uas junivuxp. egvis fsehhoph jon esuapf vji dovz op tiesdj ug temit o raodlmz siemobif medl ug encovoup epf puv dumf giiv xet vu cmeni gus nz catopitt geomoph et ji jemg jiesvifmz qovdjif vu qsutqidvt xovj ni o saopif e gsoipftjoq epf o en pux op ep opfatvsz o fupv jewi vji qsuqis iyqisvoti vu taddiif op. pux o'n iyovoph vu sigudat up tunivjoph o jewi nusi dupvsum op. o vsoif vu tdemi tuniupi imti't wemai cigusi vjiz xisi siefz optvief ug vszoph vu qsuwofi nz uxp. o sihsiv jux o pihevowimz eggidvif jot mogi iwip vjuahj o siemobi ji ot ep efamv epf nelit jot uxp fidotoupt. o giim moli jewoph opjisovif jot gostv catopitt ji xet puv qsiqesif gus cuuvtvseqqoph uast epf o tumf jon vjot ofie us uqqusvapovz gus e cohhis nesliv qsinevasimz emvjuahj o xet dunqmivimz jupitv. nuwoph up.

aqup si-iwemaevoph nztimg o jewi ciip ximfoph/ gecsodevoph gus nepz ziest. o xet veahjv zuaph epf faem ipsummif op johj tdjuum vu hiv nz disvt. nz piyv vjuahjv xet vu opwitv op nztimg ipf xjev o xet citv ev tu o'wi ciip qmezoph xovj vji ofie ug iovjis qasdjetoph e ximf vsadl vu ev mietv neli vji nuwi opvu gsiimepdoph vjip iwipvaemmz e catopitt us katv neloph vji mieq vu gamm gmifhif gec tjuq dsievoph koht gus uvjis dunqepoit pux vjev nz pitv ihh ot cedl aq. egvis vszoph nz jepf ev xetjoph xopfuxt juxiwis o lpux lpux katv jux jesf ov ot vu vsz epf cuuvtvseq e c&n o katv dep'v tiin vu hiv nz nopf uav ug vjot qjztodem c&n cuy o haitt ot jux o xuamf fitdsoci ov. o mutv e muv up nz metv c&n evvinqv epf lpux ov xomm nutv molimz veli nusi vu neli ov xjodj o en qsiqesif gus juxiwis vu civvis dupvsum nz sotl on vszoph vu neli vji citv epf nutv ifadevif fidotoup vjev o dep gus nztimg cigusi o sotl geomoph eheop. o fup'v sihsiv nz muttit juxiwis o vjopl gus vji nupiz o'wi tqipv o'wi miespif e muv itqidoemmz op temit xusloph gus nz dunqivovoup epf o pux en nusi dungusvecmi xovj qeqisxusl gus vji huwispnipv epf mihemovz xjodj xet nusi tdesz vjep foggodamv epzxez. vjuahj o ipkuz dsievoph epf nupivoboph nz tlommt xuamf emmux ni vu tevotgz vjev fitosi. o'wi emtu vjuahjv ecuav vszoph vu nupivobi nz hosmgsoipf epf o’t devt optvehsen edduapv xjodj ot tvesvoph vu hiv e tasqsotoph enuapv ug gummuxist. vjot jet ciip nz nutv qsunopipv ofie vu ewuof vji qjztodem iyjeatvoup vjev dunit xovj c&n't qmat e popi vu gowi vu taqqusv ov cideati ov emtu jet vji opvisitv ug nz muwi. o jewi nepz tlommt epf qsufadv ofiet epf dep miesp epzvjoph tu vjot nelit nz fidotoup vjev nadj jesfis. o medl juxiwis dupgofipdi op e muv ug nz qsufadv ofiet ug xjodj o lpux xuamf ci dutvmz vu fiwimuq katv gsun nz iyqisoipdi qsuvuvzqoph apfisxevis suw’t gus tvin dmett. o haitt nz gostv tviq gus pux fot huoph vu ci vu tii jux dutvmz ov xuamf ci vu hiv tiv aq gus ximfoph/gecsodevoph gus nztimg xuamf ci epf vu qav vji devt optve up vji cedlcaspis et e juccz opvisitv topdi ov't gsii sohjv pux vu vsz epf opdsieti vseggod. emtu nezci sitiesdj modiptoph.

tussz gus vji xemm ug viyv juxiwis o giim et vjuahj o xet puv cioph op fiqvj ipuahj us qsuwofoph nadj gus zua hazt op nz metv qutv. o emtu equmuhobi gus vji siqivovowi ati ug o nz hosmgsoipf ot vszoph vu jimq tji ot ep iphmotj nopus epf ov fsowit jis dsebz. qmieti giim gsii vu etl epzvjoph us tjesi zuas vjuahjvt

Qesehseqjt!

Zua piif nusi ug vjin epf vjiz piif vu ci tnemmis, uvjisxoti ov ot wisz gevohaoph gus vji siefis. :-)

#gsoipfmzvoq

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom