The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Twitter IPO launch this week - Thoughts?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Now, I know very little about investing in stocks, and much less about IPO's and how the market actually comes to a proper valuation. I did want to ask you guys with experience, what are your thoughts on this?

Twitter has said it will sell 70 million shares for between $17 and $20, valuing the online messaging company as much as $11 billion, below the $15 billion that some analysts had been expecting.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/03/usa-stocks-weekahead-idUSL1N0IM22U20131103

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Relate this to FB if anything... it will most-likely drop and then stabilize/rise. it dropped down to about $25 and i didn't buy it. Now it sits at around $50 I believe. Could've doubled my money.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I don't think you can compare this to FB. They increased the price and the amount of shares dramatically at the last minute. I also don't think the underwriters want another shit show on their hands.

G

Guest3722A

Now, I know very little about investing in stocks, and much less about IPO's and how the market actually comes to a proper valuation. I did want to ask you guys with experience, what are your thoughts on this?

As far as? One main thing to keep in mind in volatile markets is there are computer programs designed to create fear and greed in the herd. This is done because the only way for big money to make anything that looks like money, would be to develop a mass of emotion from the small guys so that the computer can unload on, or buy from. From my experience, IPOs aren't typical. Some are like a dead horse and others trade like they're in the the tech bubble of the late 90s. No rhyme, no reason. The herd wants to be involved and react right here right now. The bot exploits this and feeds on it.

You mentioned the word "invest" but are you actually more interested in trading? If trading, and you have less than $25k to work with, you may want to look into things other than stocks. I personally really like trading currency futures because they're easier to develop systems around without exterior issues that the sec restrains the little guy with.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
You mentioned the word "invest" but are you actually more interested in trading? If trading, and you have less than $25k to work with, you may want to look into things other than stocks. I personally really like trading currency futures because they're easier to develop systems around without exterior issues that the sec restrains the little guy with.
Just simply shopping for opinions. I am not by any means thinking about trading or investing in such a volatile market right now.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I'm not an expert but I am in the Fin industry right now and watch IPOs closely. 70-75% of IPO's have traded higher this year so far. Goldman Sachs underwritten IPOs have done even better. GS is a lead underwriter for Twitter. Draw your own conclusions from that. Check out www.iposcoop.com for some historical data.

G

Guest3722A

Just simply shopping for opinions. I am not by any means thinking about trading or investing in such a volatile market right now.

Gotcha. Cool. Are you interested in learning about trading, or just more interested in the conversation? I ask because I have some recommendations but I'm not going to put it out there if the intention of this thread isn't in that direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.