The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Turning my viral Youtube video into a Productocracy

NavyFlyer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 2, 2020
Denver
Hello Everyone! Long time listener, first time caller. Firstly, thank you MJ, for all of the wisdom contained in your books. Both Fastlane and Unscripted are among the best self-help books in the Entrepreneurial space that I’ve read to date.

I’m in an interesting position and would value some feedback. A few years ago I built my son a small roller coaster in our backyard (I’d been gone a lot in the military and wanted a fun project that I could work on with him). It took me a month to engineer and design it and two months to build it (working on the weekends). After testing I let my son ride it (and took a video of him riding it). I posted the video online and it was an overnight viral hit. We were on Good Morning America, Fox and Friends, front page of several newspapers, 4 local news stations, radio stations, and in multiple other news stations across the world. To date, the Youtube video has over 40 million views (I’m not going to link to it because I don't want to violate Forum rules/regs). I’ve monetized the video and that has been a nice trickle of income (but not as much as you’d think).

I’m now very thankful to be in a unique position with somewhat of a Youtube following and have been racking my brain trying to come up with a way to develop my own Productocracy based on the success my video has had. I’d feel foolish for not turning “this” into something, but am beginning to think my ideas may be a dead-end road, as I feel that they violate one or more of the commandments in major ways. I'm very hard working, ambitious, and business minded, but to quote Harry from Dumb and Dumber, I don't want to drive half way across the country in the wrong direction.

My ideas so far:

Idea 1) Create more coasters and take videos of cute kids having fun riding them. Develop and further monetize my Youtube channel. The channel is off to an awesome start. The huge problem with this idea is that it massively violates the commandment of Control. One snippet of music gets misused or too many people make copyright complaints and your channel becomes demonetized overnight (I’ve seen it happen). Algorithm changes, monetization policy changes, etc. People that have built Youtube empires have been decimated literally overnight. Their Youtube empires have vanished with nothing but a weak nonsensical explanation from Youtube. Probably my least favorite idea because my precious "house of cards" would be built entirely upon a Youtube owned/controlled foundation.

Idea 2) Develop, design, manufacture and sell backyard roller coaster kits and components for ambitious DIY parents that want to build roller coasters for their own kids in their backyard. Kits could include the more difficult components of backyard roller coaster construction (CNC’d steel/aluminum cart components, bearings, trucks, entire carts etc). I have two concerns with this. My first concern would be does it violate the commandment of Need? Would I be fishing from a big enough pond? In other words, are there enough parents out there that would want to take on a DIY project of this size (and order my products) to make this a profitable enough venture for me to pursue? And my second concern with this is the liability aspect. If I manufacture and sell a DIY roller coaster component to someone (a cart for example), and it gets installed incorrectly or misused or not maintained, and little Timmy breaks his neck riding a backyard coaster with some of my components, I feel like I’d get my butt sued off. I’d have to consult a lawyer, but feel that there aren’t enough warning labels in the world that could acquit me of all liability.

3) Create a DIY backyard roller coaster construction guide/book. The problem I see with this is again that it may violate the Need commandment. If I sell a book and profit even $20 a copy, will enough people order it to make it a Fastlane opportunity? Is there enough of a need for a DIY backyard roller coaster book? A niche DIY book could command a higher price, but it seems like it’d be TOO niche in this instance.

One neat thing is that my second son is about the age my first son was when I shot that video. I’m designing another coaster (and will be building it soon and posting a video). I’m sure the next video will be somewhat of a hit (probably not as big as the first), so I have a potentially invaluable opportunity approaching to reach and market said Productocracy to millions without spending a dime.

What are your opinions on the above ideas? Are they dead-end roads or am I just not being confident or creative enough? I welcome all of your feedback (good and bad). Are there other ideas here that I haven’t thought of that you can bring to my attention? Thank you, everyone, in advance for your advice and your time.

-NavyFlyer

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 17342666_10101078716760158_8279362292611024405_n.jpg
    17342666_10101078716760158_8279362292611024405_n.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 16804500_10101055926287448_382612507842186260_o.jpg
    16804500_10101055926287448_382612507842186260_o.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 22

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
Seriously man 40 million views?? You definitely need to find out how to properly monetize that video because more and more people will view it and you deserve the rewards for posting it! Good luck!!

datagod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 29, 2019
My two cents. Don't take viral video for granted. One day it will fade and having huge inventory can hurt, big time. ( trying to find shark tank video to one that happened exactly that)

What if you would make a roller coaster DIY not for people, just "small" roads/tracks that you can have fun with and build with your kids/friends. It does correlate with your niche, selling DIY coaster that can be quite dangerous stuff.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
What about selling/renting backyard rollercoasters to the same companies who rent out bounce houses and set up parties?

They already have the customer base and you have proof with a 40m view video that people like your product.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
It sounds like you just want a get rich quick scheme - and for us to hand it to you? "Are there other ideas here that I haven’t thought of that you can bring to my attention? "

You got the views from your back-yard project, and that's great.. Good work. I can see you put a lot of time into building your roller-coaster tycoon theme park... not trying to shit on that.... but the fact that you need to ask about 'selling roller coasters' shows a pretty massive lack of creativity and imagination, and complete disregard for the elements that would be required (and scale) to embark on such a large venture - with huge capital and legal requirements...

I would suggest start with what you're good at...You're chasing money. Not value.

NavyFlyer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 2, 2020
Denver
It sounds like you just want a get rich quick scheme - and for us to hand it to you? "Are there other ideas here that I haven’t thought of that you can bring to my attention? "

You got the views from your back-yard project, and that's great.. Good work. I can see you put a lot of time into building your roller-coaster tycoon theme park... not trying to shit on that.... but the fact that you need to ask about 'selling roller coasters' shows a pretty massive lack of creativity and imagination, and complete disregard for the elements that would be required (and scale) to embark on such a large venture - with huge capital and legal requirements...

I would suggest start with what you're good at...You're chasing money. Not value.

Thanks for your reply Daivey. I'm trying to understand your feedback, because I don't feel that there is anything "get rich quick" about any of my (3) ideas. These coasters take a tremendous amount of engineering, design work, sweat and tears to build, and I've got the experience building them to attest to my knowledge of that. A good DIY book for example would take a solid year at minimum for me to execute with the type of attention to detail and quality necessary. Your post makes it seem like I'm trying to avoid work. Quite the contrary.

Also, I didn't ask about selling coasters in their entirety as you imply. If you reread my post, I talked about selling specific components for DIYers to make their own coasters. I'm very much aware of the capital requirements for component production. I've personally produced these parts and components and have priced this out extensively both domestic and int'l.

Your short reply has several somewhat top-rope comments that I don't understand, but would like to:

"You're looking for a get rich quick scheme"

Please help me understand what is "get-rich-quick" about any of this?

"You have a pretty massive lack of creativity and imagination"

How have I demonstrated this? I don't know anyone else that has tried to do this.

"You have a complete disregard for the elements required"

I've engineered and built multiple backyard coasters. What elements am I blind to?

"You're chasing money, not value"

Are you implying that there is no value in any of my ideas? If so, that is very valuable feedback and I appreciate it.

I very much value your negative feedback, but it doesn't seem very constructive. It appears that my post rubbed you the wrong way. If so, I apologize. I wasn't looking to be handed anything.

I think that sometimes we can get so focused our own ideas that we're blind to many others and miss what is in the periphery (both obstacles and opportunities). I posted to try to gain other perspectives.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Probably what attracted people to your video was a combination of:
  • Most people don't follow through with ambitious projects like that
  • They also don't have the skills
  • They wish they did though
  • It's awesome to do things for kids
  • People want to do things with their kids
"Roller coaster" probably isn't the key here, at least in my evaluation. You've got a willingness to tackle hard problems, and an engineering ability, and a creativity, and a way with kids, that people found interesting, amazing, endearing, etc. It's the bigger picture, not the specific thing. You could have made a 200 foot teddy bear for kids. Maybe you could have made a car track for dogs that like to cruise. Try to abstract out the set of things that created the draw, and see if you can repeat that. Your audience, if you choose to build one, will probably help with that by either watching or not-watching certain things.

I can't give any advice about youtube because I'm not qualified in that domain or platform, but I can tell you some channels this reminds me of. Maybe you'll want to look at them, and maybe it will spark some ideas. Or maybe not, who knows. Anyway, off the top of my head:

Matthias Wandel
AvE
The King of Random
Wranglerstar

Ok, they're all doing interesting and unusual things, many above average in difficulty or creativity. Like, you know, building a roller coaster. They have various numbers of subscribers, some pretty high. I couldn't tell you whether they make a dime on their channels, but I suspect they monetize their activities somehow. Does it pay the bills? No idea. But I see the guy who builds a roller coaster in the back yard being part of this space... makers, engineers, inventors, experimenters, etc., who do their work in a way that's ultimately entertaining. There's a market for that as entertainment/edutainment, and I suspect that with some research and observation you can find things to do in that space.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.