I am launching a niche dating site in 2013.
In connection with the same ... I researched all sorts of membership software packages back in November ... purchased an open-source software package that looked to be (closest) tailored to my audience's unique needs ... and have been working away like a busy little beaver figuring out its features, limitations, and putting together a detailed presentation of (exactly) how I want the finished product to look, operate and feel.
The main challenge I am encountering is that the software simply cannot do (much of) what I need it to do. For better or for worse, there are no complete "out of the box" solutions available. Putting together the final product will require a fair amount of code customization.
Okay ... fair enough.
So when I hire a programmer to build these new features into the site ... is the programmer (literally) starting from scratch ...? Or does the programmer (more likely than not) have a library of "code packages" ready to go that he or she simply acquires and then modifies as necessary?
By analogy ... when a lawyer drafts a contract ... only rarely does the lawyer start from scratch. The lawyer goes to a book of sample forms and contracts ... looks up sample agreements that appear to be on target ... hunts down a few extra pre-fabricated provisions ... slaps them all together ... then customizes the draft agreement.
Do programmers do the same thing?
If so ... where does a programmer go to get the code templates?
Is there an online "code template" store ('feature" mega-marts) where a programmer goes to shop for suitable code packages ...? If so ... do any prominent online stores come to mind? I'd love to see them.
I don't know much about coding ... and it does not make sense for me to try to become an expert in it ... I need to focus on the design and marketing side of things and play to my strengths ... but still ... I would still like to have a better understanding of what it is custom code programmers do after a job order is received.
Any insight?
In connection with the same ... I researched all sorts of membership software packages back in November ... purchased an open-source software package that looked to be (closest) tailored to my audience's unique needs ... and have been working away like a busy little beaver figuring out its features, limitations, and putting together a detailed presentation of (exactly) how I want the finished product to look, operate and feel.
The main challenge I am encountering is that the software simply cannot do (much of) what I need it to do. For better or for worse, there are no complete "out of the box" solutions available. Putting together the final product will require a fair amount of code customization.
Okay ... fair enough.
So when I hire a programmer to build these new features into the site ... is the programmer (literally) starting from scratch ...? Or does the programmer (more likely than not) have a library of "code packages" ready to go that he or she simply acquires and then modifies as necessary?
By analogy ... when a lawyer drafts a contract ... only rarely does the lawyer start from scratch. The lawyer goes to a book of sample forms and contracts ... looks up sample agreements that appear to be on target ... hunts down a few extra pre-fabricated provisions ... slaps them all together ... then customizes the draft agreement.
Do programmers do the same thing?
If so ... where does a programmer go to get the code templates?
Is there an online "code template" store ('feature" mega-marts) where a programmer goes to shop for suitable code packages ...? If so ... do any prominent online stores come to mind? I'd love to see them.
I don't know much about coding ... and it does not make sense for me to try to become an expert in it ... I need to focus on the design and marketing side of things and play to my strengths ... but still ... I would still like to have a better understanding of what it is custom code programmers do after a job order is received.
Any insight?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
