The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trash Bin Cleaning Business

Idea threads

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
Has anyone gotten involved in the trash bin cleaning business? or is it one of those where the ones making the money are the ones selling the shovels? (the pricy cleaning systems).

I found a couple of companies in our area, but some competition should not hurt, and there are other areas not too far from here that could use the service.

There are a few things I like about the business:
- No need to go into anyone's houses (compared to our current business).
- One, two, or three prices/plans. No design, no estimates, no homeowners changing their minds mid-project, etc.
- Upfront payment.
- For the most part, it should be a year-round service, there's no need to get creative in the winter months to keep people busy.
- Should be easy enough to train anyone to do the job.

There are others but I want to keep it brief.

I haven't heard back about the cost of the equipment, but one company has a basic system on their website for $19K. I'm assuming a nicer system on a truck should be close to $50K.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
I never understood the pricy equipment for this gig. Isn't this something that could be started with a $200 pressure washer and a bottle of bleach from Home Depot?
Absolutely!

That's what my wife told me earlier today lol
The difference would be how fast you can do it compared to the equipment, and the mess you'd leave behind.

I'm not sure, I guess you could carry a bucket as well to empty the bins, then have some sort of tank to empty the bucket, but that would make it very inefficient.

Also, you would need to bring a water hose to connect to the pressure washer, which would most likely be a cold water one (instead of hot), and (unless you carry a 2nd clean water tank) use the home's water, which could potentially get you in trouble if the home floods and the homeowner claims that it was you who opened their outside water valve during the winter, etc.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Sure, absolutely. Still feels like you could use the $200 pressure washer to prove the need before throwing 20 grand, minimum, at it. Why scale it before you even prove it's a real opportunity?

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
I agree, and that's part of the reason why I'm asking in the forum.

I really doubt anyone with experience in other states would be willing to share some numbers with a total stranger.

At the same time, I can see how people would rather have the company with the shiny truck clean their bins. And be wary of some guy with a hose and a bucket lol.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Just put a picture of a shiny bin cleaning truck on your website and see if you can sign some people up. Even if you show up with a rag and a bucket worst-case scenario they'll just cancel it. That's what I did with my carpet cleaning business. I worked out of my beater car and cleaned carpets with a $200 tool before I bought a van and good equipment when I saw the demand

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Personally? I wouldn't have a photo of equipment I don't actually have. Feels like lying to me. However, images of sparkling clean trash bins; before-and-after shots; photos of you standing in front of like 20 cleaned bins, decked out in waders, firing a hose into the air...

c23r

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 24, 2022
Earth
We had one guy in our area who just built a special trailer for the bins to hold, and then used a normal pressure washer.
I personally use a garden hose to clean my bins. Thus I wonder how this can be a CENTS business.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
We had one guy in our area who just built a special trailer for the bins to hold, and then used a normal pressure washer.
I personally use a garden hose to clean my bins. Thus I wonder how this can be a CENTS business.
I haven't cleaned mine in years, but when I've done it I've also used a hose. But obviously, there are people willing to pay for the service.

As far as cents, I don't see any difference between this service and a window cleaning or landscaping one, for example.

The big difference is the initial investment.

Which could be good and bad depending how you look at it. Anyone with a mower can start a mowing business, not everyone can start this one, which makes entry a bit harder.

I've come across a bunch of companies doing it around the country. Their prices in other states make more sense than the prices here in my area.

In any case, I'm just researching and decided to ask the forum members for their input.

Seems like everyone is stuck on the initial investment, which is fine, I agree it is pretty high.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I assume you're talking about the big metal commercial garbage containers and not residential plastic trash bins?

Do all commercial bins have drainage holes? You'd look really silly showing up with a pressure washer and end up trying to figure out how to remove a few inches of water from the bottom of a commercial garbage bin, lol.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Didn't we have a thread on someone who build an awesome business from this?

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
I assume you're talking about the big metal commercial garbage containers and not residential plastic trash bins?

Do all commercial bins have drainage holes? You'd look really silly showing up with a pressure washer and end up trying to figure out how to remove a few inches of water from the bottom of a commercial garbage bin, lol.
It can be both, with the right equipment, more expensive, I'm assuming, but yes, I thought it would be a good service for restaurants.
Back in the day when I worked at a restaurant, their trash dumpster was disgusting!

I agree with the other comment too, even if they have holes, it would be very inconvenient and inefficient to do the job with a bucket and a pressure washer.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I searched and couldn't find anything. If you can find it for us, it would be awesome!
I could swear I read a thread about this same business, I'm searching too but I can't find it, damn. :V

FillyCheez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 11, 2016
Los Angeles
Trash can cleaning is a great business. It's recurring, and the operations are simple. You can certainly start with just a pressure washer, but getting an actual truck with a trash can cleaning machine makes it an amazing business. Youre able to clean way more trash cans, for better prices.

The only tricky part is actually building a dense route. In the beginning, you might have only a handful of accounts, so you may not be super profitable to start.

Best of luck!

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
Trash can cleaning is a great business. It's recurring, and the operations are simple. You can certainly start with just a pressure washer, but getting an actual truck with a trash can cleaning machine makes it an amazing business. Youre able to clean way more trash cans, for better prices.

The only tricky part is actually building a dense route. In the beginning, you might have only a handful of accounts, so you may not be super profitable to start.

Best of luck!
Have you or anyone you know done it?

FillyCheez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 11, 2016
Los Angeles
Have you or anyone you know done it?
Yes, I know someone in St Louis thats doing it. He has a successful window cleaning biz, and decided to build a trash can cleaning route on top of it. It started slow for him, but he eventually got a spot on TV on the local news, and the business exploded

FillyCheez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 11, 2016
Los Angeles

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
I haven't heard back about the cost of the equipment, but one company has a basic system on their website for $19K. I'm assuming a nicer system on a truck should be close to $50K.
I don't think you need to throw big money at this until you prove the market value.

I have a side gig *literally* taking trash bins to the curb and back again for a dozen college rentals. Rats can be a great motivator for landlords... I make a few extra bucks when tenants make a giant mess or have bulky trash to deal with. You know what my overhead is? Almost nothing. I drive my very used truck only when I need to make dump runs. Otherwise I use my regular boring sedan. I keep some trash bags and a broom in the trunk. Four nights a week I take a drive, smoke a cigar, and get it done.

A new truck wouldn't make me any more profitable. Just my 2 cents. Start by getting clients, and when it's more than you can do with a budget setup, consider better equipment or bringing on help. The real money? Get a name for yourself and franchise the operation by selling territory to new aspiring entrepreneurs.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 2, 2019
I have done some more research and the cost of the truck is actually in the $100K+ range. There are a handful of companies selling the trucks.

Two of them have the "best" product and sell it as a franchise-type package, (it may actually be a franchise, although I didn't read the term on their website) including airfare and hotel rooms to go to their facilities for training, etc.

On the other hand, a few of the "satisfied" companies/business owners pictured with the shiny trucks on their website seem to have gone out of business. Websites are down, phones are down, they're not answering messages on their Facebook business profiles, and the last updates on said profiles were 2~3 years ago.

Many of the ones that are still in business are offering other things such as trucks, heavy equipment, and other pressure washing services to stay busy - there's nothing wrong with that, but that's something they could be doing with cheaper equipment.

One thing to note is that although most offer it, not all of them have the truck with the commercial dumpster cleaning option, they are possibly doing it manually.

I believe that it may still be a good opportunity in places where it is not yet available.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.