The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Transportation Maps - Rail and Ship

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 24, 2017
New York City

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
Good stuff! I was just looking at this kind of stuff earlier today. I may be using the inland waterways for an upcoming project. (Grain transportation)

Kak

Capitalist Swine
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Rail and barge are often forgotten methods of shipment domestically.

They are both extremely efficient for moving very large quantities of material.

Check out "intermodal" carriers too they will combine rail and truck as efficiently as possible and take out the stressful moving parts you would otherwise be dealing with to keep your goods on track.

Bottom line. If you are filling up 53 foot dryvans, rail should be something to look into.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Europeans always say the US has a crappy rail system, which is true.... for long-haul passenger transport. The distances are just too far.

However, we have a very good rail freight system. Rail is especially great for transporting large amounts of coal, grain, scrap metal, cars, chemicals, military vehicles, and all kinds of heavy and/or high volume goods very long distances.

Intermodal is especially useful if you're shipping a large amount of containers from Asia to your warehouse on the East coast.

That map only shows Class I railways too. We have Class II and Class III railways that usually only operate a few lines. Those are useful for short-haul transport.

OP
OP
MetalGear

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 24, 2017
New York City
Rail and barge are often forgotten methods of shipment domestically.

They are both extremely efficient for moving very large quantities of material.

Check out "intermodal" carriers too they will combine rail and truck as efficiently as possible and take out the stressful moving parts you would otherwise be dealing with to keep your goods on track.

Bottom line. If you are filling up 53 foot dryvans, rail should be something to look into.
Europeans always say the US has a crappy rail system, which is true.... for long-haul passenger transport. The distances are just too far.

However, we have a very good rail freight system. Rail is especially great for transporting large amounts of coal, grain, scrap metal, cars, chemicals, military vehicles, and all kinds of heavy and/or high volume goods very long distances.

Intermodal is especially useful if you're shipping a large amount of containers from Asia to your warehouse on the East coast.

That map only shows Class I railways too. We have Class II and Class III railways that usually only operate a few lines. Those are useful for short-haul transport.
I'm not on the shipping container level yet, but these maps sure do put things into a different perspective!

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
This past summer, I got to take a good look at the barge loading facilities of some of the agricultural big boys (Cargill, ADM) and watch grain and fertilizer be loaded onto the barges and watch as the seemingly-tiny pushboat pushed the barges. It's really a sight to see.

If sales are king, then distribution is queen. (Though distribution is arguably king in the commodity business.)

What do Standard Oil, Walmart, Amazon and Cargill all have in common? What is it about these companies that made them an unstoppable force in their industries? They owned their distribution!

When Standard Oil was getting started, Rockefeller pitted the railroads against each other so that he could get superior rebates on shipping his oil, which would annihilate his competitors. Later, he built his own pipelines to transport oil, which made the railroads pretty much obsolete for him, which gave him even further leverage to get favorable rebates.

In Sam Walton's autobiography, "Made in America," he goes into a bit of detail on how he crafted his distribution system, which gave him a superior advantage over his competitors.

Bezos actually took a lot of ideas from Sam Walton's autobiography on how he should craft Amazon and he understood how crucial the distribution portion of the business would be.

As for Cargill, it is the largest privately held company in the U.S. (I bet a lot of you didn't know that!) They use rail and barges, as well as charter ships to distribute their commodities to other countries. Which allows them to save large amounts of money, where they can then pay farmers better rates for their grain, which takes business away from the elevators that don't have that kind of a money-saving/making distribution system.

To make a long story short: If you want to create an unstoppable business, you don't want to outsource your distribution. It is an area where you can gain the most leverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom