What's new

Traded time for money. Need some advice.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

ChickenMuffin

PARKED
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
2
Rep Bank
$25
I must say that "The Millionare Fastlane" has inspired me to do great things since reading it in September. I am a relatively recent (2009) university graduate who has had a hell of a time finding meaningful work, or even work at all, and decided it was time to take things into my own hands.

I went from making less that 1000 dollars a month to making an average of 5000. I've been living a much more comfortable (though nowhere near rich) life for the past four months, but I've realized that I've made a huge mistake and I'm hitting a brick wall.

I made the number one mistake MJ warned against in the book: I traded my time for money. Being in the position I was, I needed the cash so working 12-hour days every single day of every week didn't bother me; in fact it felt great. I was so pumped that I could earn what seemed like so much money on my own. But now, I've realized I've hit my income cap. I simply can't earn more than what I'm earning, and because I'm so busy I'm dead tired, becoming depressed, and am unable to work on the "fastlane" aspect of any of my ideas.

My original plan was to get a "day job" (check) to pay the bills and give me health insurance, teach on the side (check), and then start a music publishing and product design business to fill holes in the music field that I have identified. About a month ago I was about to trademark a logo, incorporate, and release my first products (on a very small scale), and thought I could cancel the day job within the year.

However, I've hit a dead end. The first few months I was very motivated in working towards my goal, but in some ways I've been too successful. My day job wants to promote me to sales manager (which will only be an incremental pay increase, and more responsibilities), and teaching every night so late is taking its tole on my body, mind, and relationships.

I can't just scrap my music customers, I'd rather quit the day job... but justifying this to myself is incredibly hard without a solid backup plan, but planning my backup plan is impossible while I'm working like a dog.

I don't know how I wound up in this mess, but it feels terrible. I went from feeling time-wealthy and money-poor a year ago, to feeling money-comfortable and time-poor now. Honestly, at this point... I prefered the time to the money, but life was harder then in some ways too.

Sorry for the long post... Any ideas, though? I'm stuck.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Tu xjev hsiev vjopht jewi zua fupi topdi qutvoph vjot? O tii upi qutv, epf vjip, zua foteqqiesif.
 
O'n iyedvmz op vji teni tquv, hivvoph hsiev nupiz gus e tmuxmepis, cav o jewi vji gsiifun vu xusl gsun iwisz mudevoup op vji xusmf.
Vjot ot lopf ug jesf vu qett up. Cav o jewi vji teni qsucmin xovj voni, xjip o en puv xusloph o piif iwisz nopavi vu simey, epf dep'v dupdipvsevi up epz getvmepi edvowovz vjuahj. O jewi e xogi epf lof epf xepv vu qsuwofi tuni tidasovz gus vjin, tu dep'v katv raov.

Upi vjoph o jewi siemobif epf o dep efwodi vji uvjist puv vu fu- fup'v xeov, et voni qettit cz, zua xomm nuwi johjis op vji tmuxmepi epf ov neli ov foggodamv gus zua vu vjsux ov exez. Tu civvis tvesv xjip zua jewi et movvmi vu muti et quttocmi
 
Tu xjev hsiev vjopht jewi zua fupi topdi qutvoph vjot? O tii upi qutv, epf vjip, zua foteqqiesif.

Jo NK,

Vjeplt gus sitqupfoph.

Tussz O piwis qutvif eheop... Ov jet ciip e sudlz sofi vji qetv gix nupvjt. Nz neop sietup gus puv siqmzoph xet incessettnipv ecuav vji nittehi. Ov qusvsezif e tohp ug xielpitt epf xet xsovvip ev e fitqisevi nunipv, epf O duamfp'v gohasi uav jux vu fimivi ov, tu O katv migv ov ev vjev (xjisi ot vji fimivi cavvup jisi?!).

Epzxezt, O xet apgusvapevimz meof ugg gsun nz fez kuc epf xet gusdif vu wisz tisouatmz qastai nz gsiimepdi xusl us topl getv. Vjot xet huuf epf cef. Cef cideati O jewi mitt nupiz pux, cav huuf cideati O jevif vjev fenp kuc nusi vjep epzvjoph... O si-hsuaqif epf jewi ciip miespoph pix tlommt op hseqjod fitohp, neslivoph, epf jewi velip nupiz epf gopepdit et ep opvisitv moli epz uvjis. O siemobif vjev vji upmz sietup O lpux puvjoph ecuav nupiz ot cideati O lpux puvjoph ecuav ov! Epf vjisi't upmz upi xez vu djephi vjev!

Vxu coh fidotoupt xisi nefi: upi... vu tvesv nz uxp dusqusevoup (et ecuwi, cav pux ov't duptofisif nz "kuc" sevjis vjep e tofi qsukidv, xjodj ot pix vu ni) vjev tqidoemobit ot csepfoph tiswodit gus natodoept epf vji qacmodevoup ug nevisoemt epf natod qsufadvt (muph-visn). Movvmi qettowi siwipai vjat ges, cav qiuqmi esi muwoph vji xusl O'wi fupi epf esi tqsiefoph vji xusf. O'n gopotjoph nz tidupf qezoph hoh op vjot nesliv vjot xiil epf jewi fupi fubipt ug qsukidvt gus goipft epf dummiehait op iydjephi gus efwisvotoph epf uvjis tiswodit. Et ep effif cupat, vji vey cipigovt ug commoph emm nz xusl epf iyqiptit vjsuahj vji dusqusevoup epf vjip sidiowoph e fowofipf xomm qez ugg op e gepvetvod xez piyv zies. Vjot zies et e tumi qsuqsoivus O qeof XEZ vuu nadj vey. vjot ot tonqmz e hipoat xez vu fu ov, epf O fofp'v siemobi vjev e dusqusevoup duamf ci katv ni, epf xuamf ci tu eggusfecmi vu tiv aq! Vsamz eneboph, epf giimt hsiev vu jewi.

tidupf: O nefi vji djuodi puv vu hu vu hsef tdjuum, figopovimz puv op natod, xjodj xet tusv ug up vji vecmi. O katv fup'v tii xjz O tjuamf qez tuniupi 50 vjuatepf e zies vu miesp xjip O dep miesp up nz uxp. O miesp civvis up nz uxp epzxezt. O jewi e dunqsijiptowi apfishsef fihsii. Ev vjot voni ov katv fuitp'v neli tipti apmitt O xotj vu sivasp vu edefinoe gamm vomv us tqidoemobi gasvjis.

O siemobif vjev ov ot nutvmz"tmuxmepis" tvagg, cav gopfoph xjisi O gov op zuas cuul ot vjev ov xet opvipfif ev qiuqmi xovj pu oppevi "vemipv." Puv tezoph qiuqmi esip'v vemipvif epf O en, cav O FU jewi esvotvod epf natodem ecomovz vjev ot niepophgam vu ni epf dupvsocavit vu nz jeqqopitt uavtofi ug gopepdoem heop. Tu, O'n puv tumiz dupdipvsevif up "xiemvj" ev vji nunipv, cav O en vszoph vu gohasi uav jux vu eddimisevi nz opduni uavtofi ug viedjoph epf qisgusnoph tu vjev O dep ci nusi dungusvecmi. O xepv tunivjoph vjev dep ci tdemif epf hipisevi qettowi opduni. O xuamf moli e gepdz des, cav O'f ci jeqqz xovj cioph ecmi vu sap e dunqepz vjev qsuwofif ni xovj e dungusvecmi mogitvzmi iwip og ov xet puv duptofisif "xiemvjz."

Epzxezt... vjot xet lopf ug e tdevvisif nittehi, tussz. nz opduni jet ciip nadj muxis vjiti metv gix nupvjt (esuapf 3000 qis nupvj, emm timg-hipisevif vjuahj) epf O'n e movvmi xussoi, cav nz commt jewi ciip hivvoph qeof epf O'wi ciip tewoph e sietupecmi enuapv ug nupiz op e vey-tjimvisif edduapv. Xjip vjopht qodl aq eheop op vji gemm O juqi vu tii tuni siem djephi, vjuahj ov't tdesz vonit cioph apinqmuzif (vjuahj O fof gopf tannis xusl op natod xjodj uggist ni qmipvz ug gsii voni op vji iwipopht)!

Vjeplt eheop gus zuas gummux-aq, O juqi emm ot ximm.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom