The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Too old to be an entrepreneur, a little late in the game at 35? I was sick for long time.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
In the mean time I’m sorry but I have to stick to this wild hair, which girls love by the way.

I'm sorry to learn about the medical issue.
Glad to learn the ladies love the look.
Suggest maybe add a hat for your business look? It's about time for somebody to bring the fedora back in style, maybe it could be you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
What do you mean?

Edit :
Do you mean because of that man’s hair? Lol. Is that Kanye West? At least my hair is not that bad.

Yes, a few years ago someone else (not Beyonce) was getting an award for her video, and Kanye jumped on stage, grabbed the mic, and said "IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT BEYONCE HAD ONE OF THE BEST VIDEOS OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME!!" The original person didn't get to finish her speech because suddenly the broadcast cut to commercial. It's become a silly Internet meme now.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Edit : By the way I wasn’t making a statement that the market is already filled up, I was asking you guys if YOU thought it was.

Thank you all for your input.

I changed my avatar, but it hasn’t seemed to change yet.

Based on what you all have told me it’s safe to say you all believe in free will then? Most people these days are die hard determinists. It’s quite refreshing to feel I have complete control over my life then these neuroscientists, like Sam Harris, are leading me to believe.

Good deal!

Play this out. Now you are beginning to think on the right track. Determinism is total bullshit. Whoever this Sam Harris is, do yourself a favor and stop listening to him. He's clearly dead wrong and there is a forum full of people here that can prove it.

PS: You should try again on the avatar, I'm pretty sure it's instant.

Here is a great resource for you: Write your best with Grammarly.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow. Just watched a Sam Harris youtube video...

My first thought was "what keeps the gun out of this guy's mouth?"

But killing himself would take free will, but so would not killing himself. But if he thought about killing himself and decided not to kill himself, it was determined that he would think and therefore not kill himself. Now, if he were to kill himself, I guess that was determined anyway.

Oh man... He's right!!!!:rofl:

View: https://youtu.be/cxf_Dvy0VLs

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What if we were predestined by believe we had free will, and to take the actions that we seemed to choose for ourselves? :eek:
MIND BLOWN! LOL

@Makip In all honestly if you get nothing else out of this forum... Steer very clear of this determinism. It's a f*cked up way to live.

I sincerely hope this forum changes your life for the better.

G

GuestUser3010h

I have gotten more out of this forum then you can possibly imagine Kak. My life is changing already.

I sincerely hope this forum changes your life for the better.

Seriously? I always felt like you hated me because I have bad grammar, have bad hair, etc.

Do you guys believe in ‘The Secret’ by Rhonda Byrne? I never gave it much thought. I have the book, is it worth reading?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have gotten more out of this forum then you can possibly imagine Kak. My life is changing already.

Seriously? I always felt like you hated me because I have bad grammar, have bad hair, etc.

Do you guys believe in ‘The Secret’ by Rhonda Byrne? I never gave it much thought. I have the book, is it worth reading?

Hell no I don't hate you. I'm trying to help you. You still can and should fix your hair and grammar.

Burn that book.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

There's a huge difference between hating someone, and using some strongly worded emphasis to try to shake up someone's perspective so that they'll consider something that might help them be more successful. There are a few people on the forum who take it too far, but for the most part I think you can assume that suggestions and corrections come from a genuine desire to help you succeed. The advice might be useful or it might not, but it's usually presented out of a hope that there will be more success stories from this forum.

It's about some spiritual, metaphysical concepts. If they're true, thinking about them might help you think more successfully. If they're false, thinking about them might help you feel better but have no other effect on your life. In my own opinion, they're no substitute for looking at what succeeds in pragmatic terms in this physical world.

Byrne took ideas from other people, packaged them up in an exciting way including several interviews, and made a lot of money. A dispute over editing and contract terms led to most prominent presenter, Esther Hicks, getting totally cut out of the final film.

I think there are two valid concepts here.
1. Be aware of how your ideas and beliefs influence your emotional state. If you feel miserable, see if there might be some other way to interpret your life, or some other belief you could choose, that might help you feel at least a little better and more productive.
2. If you have inner conflict between your beliefs about moving forward and your beliefs about moving backward, you'll stall out and waste your current opportunities. Get your mental state free of contradiction before you try to take massive action.

If these interest you, I can suggest some specific videos and information to read. But I'd also suggest you spend no more than a limited amount of time going over this stuff, instead of focusing on pragmatic business steps.

G

GuestUser3010h

I logged in here using Facebook, you guys didn’t get access to my Facebook page by clicking on my avatar of my face did you? Or by some other means ? I hope not. There’s not much to see there, but it’s my private Facebook page.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I logged in here using Facebook, you guys didn’t get access to my Facebook page by clicking on my face picture did you?

Instead of a face picture, I only see a picture of a ceiling with some panels removed. I don't see any link here to your Facebook profile. You might want to post the question in the forum help section, but I think "log in with Facebook" only means that you'll use your Facebook login as an alternative to typing your password into this forum... not that there's any automatic link others can follow to you on Facebook.

G

GuestUser3010h

Yeah, for now I see no reason to change my avatar again. My face is way too ugly for a face picture.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Yeah, for now I see no reason to change my avatar again. My face is way too ugly for a face picture.

I was serious with the hat suggestion, that wasn't an attempt at a cheap laugh.

Also, on Facebook you can double check which content you set as Public and which posts, pictures etc. you set as Friends Only. The forum software here, should be totally separate from who you choose to accept as a Friend on Facebook.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What happened to henry ford? A random ceiling? Why?

G

GuestUser3010h

I was serious with the hat suggestion, that wasn't an attempt at a cheap laugh.

Oh, I know. I used to wear hats all the time, but you can’t wear them at work. Which is why I’m trying to work for myself.

What happened to henry ford? A random ceiling? Why?

I’m too ugly for any kind of picture. That’s just a fact.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I’m too ugly for any kind of picture. That’s just a fact.

Nobody here complained that they thought you looked ugly. The complaints were that the picture seemed unprofessional, because of wild hair, I assume also because of the random T shirt, and poor photo quality (I assume that was from the dim, flat lighting). Even if you were ugly, what the hell difference would that make for any business other than being a fashion model? You said that you've got positive feedback on how you look from women, so why should the opinion of a very small number of guys who aren't even your customers, push you aside? You explained the hair's not particularly fixable - I suggested a hat. Give it another shot or two, literally. You can get your new business pictures ranked for free on PhotoFeeler if you rate some pictures from others, and your shots disappear when your test is over.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Edit : By the way I wasn’t making a statement that the market is already filled up, I was asking you guys if YOU thought it was.

Thank you all for your input.

I changed my avatar, but it hasn’t seemed to change yet.

Based on what you all have told me it’s safe to say you all believe in free will then? Most people these days are die hard determinists. It’s quite refreshing to feel I have complete control over my life then these neuroscientists, like Sam Harris, are leading me to believe.
I have found that the Universe creates anything where I put my focus over a long stretch of time. Sometimes, it's just magic. I struggle and struggle with an issue. Then one day, the whole thing falls together when I least expect it. I bet you'll have a similar experience. Yes, you can make things happen by working smart and being relentless.
BUT, you can't make things happen if your health isn't good enough to support your quest. What you can do, from where ever you are, is create a personal study program. All the information is cheap or free. You have the world in your hands in the form of access to the internet. Getting an MBA has lost its luster. I have four colleges degrees, including my JD. I believe in education. The difference is that when I was younger, the information wasn't readily available. Now, I still daily have my educational program in place. Your health problems seem to give you a window of time so you can study.
Are you too old? I'm 64. Am I too old? I'm young enough to run with an idea, work hard and make things happen. I'm old enough to have a wonderful collection of education, credentials, and experience. Age is not a very good excuse until you're frail elderly.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Bless the people of this forum for the patience they have with newbies, patience I could never have.

Anyways, I sometimes think you guys have way too much time on your hands, but then I remember some of the most active people on here are rich so I just keep reading. :rofl:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Bless the people of this forum for the patience they have with newbies, patience I could never have.

Anyways, I sometimes think you guys have way too much time on your hands, but then I remember some of the most active people on here are rich so I just keep reading. :rofl:
If it weren't for some really good older people who helped me when I was young, I won't be here. I had a mentor who stuck with me until she died a few years ago. I never made a major career move without talking to Alice. She's the one who got me into real estate 42 years ago. I studied her lifestyle and choices when I young. She was my hero. I wanted to be like her, and that's the woman I have become. I've grown into her shoes.

Now, it's my time to give back to someone younger. Yes, I can tell them how I got here. Yes, I can tell them what it takes. Yes, I can help them make a life plan. No, they probably won't listen. No, they probably won't actually do what I suggest. BUT, I've been able to help a few people and that's enough for me. That's also why I started my blog...
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I read your entire post and some-how I couldn't pass (in my brain) 35 being too "old?" to become an entrepreneur?!?!? Entrepreneurship has no age limit or any boundaries for that matter, the societal script tells us there is particular criteria to be followed, but trust me, if you follow that societal script, no one would ever become an entrepreneur because the rules would keep changing all the time as it would make it impossible to become one. Seek your limitless opportunities of entrepreneurship and make it happen.

Also, the world is forever changing, the things we liked last week, last month or last year, we no longer like, or, we've grown to appreciate it even more. Nothing stays the same forever, to believe that all things worthy of invention have already been invented is one of the finest ways to obtain excuses as to why you cannot become great and/or create greatness. If MJ DeMarco, Steve Jobs, Jack Ma, Bill Gates or anyone who created their own greatness thought that way, we would not have enjoyed the fruits and creativity they've added to the world.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Nobody here complained that they thought you looked ugly. The complaints were that the picture seemed unprofessional, because of wild hair, I assume also because of the random T shirt, and poor photo quality (I assume that was from the dim, flat lighting). Even if you were ugly, what the hell difference would that make for any business other than being a fashion model?

You seem to be hung up on being ugly. Get over it. You're not 12 anymore. Time to take on and manage adult issues.

Work with what you have. Nobody has everything. You have a lot! If you don't think so, read up on Helen Keller. Then, more modern day, there is Nick Vujicic. Then you will realize, compared to them, you have it made. Right now. Nick has several videos on YouTube you will enjoy. Let me know what you think.

Did you look up Nick on YouTube? You wanna see ugly?

You call Nick ugly and he would laugh. He knows what's important in life and it sure isn't his face.

Spend some time watching those *free* videos. If you really want to mold your mind into a focused productive machine, buy his book. I think he has more than one out - I bought his first one. Seriously, you need to grow up a lot more than you are. Do you hate me? What are you - ten? Get a grip - and the best way to do that is watch some videos of Nick. Then you'll see what a real issue is - and how a real man handles it - or maybe I should say "half" a man.

Having three sons, I'm all for being a male role model, being positive, and helping someone whenever I can. But I haven't yet seen the response - "You know what? You're right. I'm going to immediately start dressing and looking better - it's something I can do right now. And I'm going to get a dummies book on grammar and start there. I have no where to go but up! Thanks to all the great advice here, I now understand that I can look inside myself for the strength and confidence to become a much stronger man. And now that I see what Nick has to deal with, I realize how much I have! No more excuses!"

Why haven't I read any remarks like that? Why? Quit whining and worrying if someone here doesn't like you. Let's see some gusto. Let's see you taking a stand in a manly way. Let's see you start a plan of some sort to improve. Nobody here was born smart or strong. We all took action along the way. Let's see some action - or at least comments about a plan of action.

Everything I have said here is to help you. Everything everyone else has said, and that's been a LOT, has been to help you.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Well, there's such thing as toilet time and commuting hours for that. I use those hours to read TFLF threads and other books or relevant news.

But while it may take 15 minutes at max to write a long post here, the MONTHS and YEARS of blood and sweat undertaken to discover the lessons on their own, before bringing them back here to share with Fastlaners, are definitely not to be understated.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Thanks everyone for your help.

I seem to have made a very terrible first impression with my horrible looks, bad hair, bad grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. , etc. , etc. Seems I didn’t do a thing right. I hope this hasn’t discouraged anyone from possible future networking, I suppose it’s too late now to tell because if I lost any of you from this first impression I can’t get you back ever again. I’m so sorry everyone.

I just bought your book MJ DeMarco ‘The Millionaire Fastlane ’. I hope it’s not like all those other books promising that you will get rich quick by reading them and end up learning nothing that will actually make you a millionaire. I started reading your book though and it seems very different to the other books I have read on how to get rich.

This is the most difficult part, because every product or service has already been filled...right on down to even the most infinitesimal niche market. Wouldn’t you say?

The only idea I came up with was to expand on an already existing product.

To be fair Elon Musk did go to an Ivy League school, and he has multiple degrees in economics and physics. I also believe he only hires people from Ivy League , or well established schools as well. So a lot of what Elon Musk says doesn’t match up with what he actually did in his own life.

I’m actually not all that great with punctuation, grammar, spelling. Any books you would recommend to help me? My condition also gave me a neurological problem ( I.e. means I have become a bit dumber ) which is the reason I’m bad with writing and many other things. However, my doctors say even though I have this neurological drawback If I work hard enough I can get my good grammar back on track. So recommending books or YouTube videos, or if it’s so bad I will go back to high school and get my GED ( even though I have a high school Diploma already) if you think that would help.

I am prepared to get shot down on this because the forum certainly seems to love it's "no BS/tough love" but your post to me reads of woeful lack of self-esteem. Take a minute every day to be proud of making it this far through the horrible hand life has dealt you. And for wanting to better yourself. I take the point that your image/avatar is important because it's a small thing and can be easily fixed but I've said it in another post: no-one, least of all you, is going to benefit from being the richest person in the graveyard. I would suggest you speak to someone to process what you have gone through. And then just go into problem-solving mode: you don't need to reinvent the wheel and Apple succeeded not because it had an entirely original idea but because they improved it (I'm not a fan as a lot of it is hype but I can appreciate the design element and it's contribution to popular culture). Look at everyday things - I mentioned a client who set up car washes and is worth 35m. I'm open enough to admit it would never have occurred to me in a million years there was that much money in such a service! No-one is perfect; you're starting from somewhere & that is to be commended. I wish you lots of luck and good health from here on in!

As a final motivator: The Sunday Times Rich List (google it) lists a UK billionaire who did not start his first business until about 45 years old! You've got a 10 year head start on him :)

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
You seem to be hung up on being ugly. Get over it. You're not 12 anymore. Time to take on and manage adult issues.

Also, your previous picture is used in the ads for the forum that are shown on the forum, including to people who are not forum members. My profile pic is shown with the headline of a post that I only responded to but didn't write (I made a humorous remark about this in the off topic thread, "False advertising"). Your profile pic, hair and all, is shown in at least one ad that's cycled through the ad slots of the forum AFTER you changed your profile pic to the hole in the ceiling.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hello Fellas,

I’m 35 going on 36 in a few months. Why did it take all this time to think of being an entrepreneur?

Well I have been sick all my life and couldn’t work or go to university until recently. I went threw three years college before in the past , but then the sickness came back and I had to drop out for a long, long time up until now.

Anyway I’m getting better now according to my doctors. I used to have many jobs and I hated them all, hated working for mostly jerks. I had one boss that was nice to me and kind, and guess what? I worked much, much harder for him then those jerks, all because he treated me well like a human and not some machine. I would much rather work for myself. I don’t think I necessarily need an MBA , what do you think? In today’s market do you need a business degree. I also doubt I will ever get into Wall Street because those men go to Ivy League schools and I can’t get into any of those. Even if my grades were perfect I still probably couldn’t get into an Ivy League business school or work on Wall Street. Think I should get my MBA, do I need one to become super-rich?

If you guys have anything to say, any advice, opinions, thoughts, etc. that you think will help me in the right direction then by all means, please feel free.

the best time to start is 10 years ago, the second best time is now.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Q. If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?

A. Because I've spent most of my life being smart about things other than, how to apply my smarts to what can make me rich!

id just say i was smart but ignorant, channeling my energy into a path leading away from the fastlane.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Always love coming back to this forum... :)

@Makip Consider the possibility that everything you have been led to believe up till now could be just one version of reality. Consider that there are infinite such versions and the current state of the world forces a particular worldview on most people for the benefit of a few.

Just open your mind to the possibility that you can be absolutely anything that you work hard for. The only restriction is if you are mentally or physically incapacitated which you don't seem to be. You can learn anything, build anything, be anything but it will take very hard work and constant course correction. It's not easy, most people fail and become what society forces them to be. You have MJ's book, it's a start. Read his second one also, Unscripted .

Honestly speaking, I don't have very high hopes that you will stick, most people just while their life away. Prove me wrong. All the Best.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
It's never too late, and 35 is still pretty young. I was reading about entrepreneurs who failed forward until their 30s or 40s, some starting successful businesses to go bankrupt later, and some failing until they figured one thing out.

Sometimes we get caught in the trap of wanting to be that 22 year old building the next $50m, 100m, $1B business - that is the exception and not the rule.

Check this article out: All Entrepreneurs Face Failure But the Successful Ones Didn't Quit

Remember, you are on your own journey and your own path. Don't compare yourself to others.

Instead, begin. Or begin again. Today, right now.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
ooh, wow. This is so awesome, everyone!

Makip, you're still here, even after some painful criticism - good on you!

Here's my situation:
- didn't work until I was over 40
- visible scars
- not the sharpest tool in the shed
- only 4 - 6 hours of actual productive time available to work with because of medical issues

So you're not alone, and we're not the only ones on here Dealing With Stuff.

Here's my suggestions:
- see that avatar? it changes direction based on my finances. Do something meaningful and memorable.
- we live in the age of personality cults. Use that knowledge to build your brand.
- check out the Grammar Girl
- always be neat, clean and fit
- never surrender
- Read MJ's books, and do something every day toward your goal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.